Cheapest way to mainland Europe?

Home Forum Chat Forum Cheapest way to mainland Europe?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Cheapest way to mainland Europe?
  • jojoA1

For a short wheelbase Vito with 6 people heading to the French Alps? A ferry company or the tunnel? We’re driving from Elgin via Edinburgh to collect people, would it be more cost effective to take a North Sea Ferry than drive the length of the country? Any advice, people? .

Marge

Normally a very cheap ferry is Norfolkline – Dover > Dunkirk.

I also looked at some options of ferrying via Hook of Holland / Zeebrugge to the North of the UK (Hull / Newcastle) and was shocked at the price though the convenience would be nice.

Jump on the boat in the evening – dinner & a drink, bit of a kip then wake up a few hundred miles further on.

Also consider if you are going to use the crossing as a break for the driver(s) or will be stopping at a hotel /B&B for the night. If you are not using it as a break the Tunnel though more expensive is untouchable for the speed. 1 hr arrival to being on the other side of the water.

Premier Icon rickmeister
    Subscriber

When I have done this from Edinburgh I am glad of a break on the ferry…..Superfast ferries from Rosyth was great but very expensive, Hull – Zebrugge was also good but dear.

Split the driving, get to Dover with Norfolk Line (good deals at the moment), chill on the ferry then go from there. Also, I thought that going at night would be a breeze in the UK, I was supprised at how much of the motorway was restricted for work during the night, leave enough time!

HTH

druidh

Taint just the cost – it’s what you’re gonna feel like at the start of your holiday, and how you’re gonna feel knowing what you have in store at the end. On the way out, a long road trip can seem a bit exciting, but you can be tired when you arrive. The kids will nap as they please and the adults/driver will feel tired and narky. On the way back, it’s boring as **** and there’s no excitement, so it’s just a drag. I’d say be prepared to pay a bit extra for a longer ferry trip and the downtime that offers.

RooleyMoor

swim the channel. It’s free.

Erm, sorry. Go with Norfolkline, if you book early you should be able to get a cheap price, dover-dunkirk

you can then drive through belgium, germany etc etc..

Premier Icon stevomcd
    Subscriber

Hi jojo,

When we go back and forward with our van, we often take the Hull-Zeebrugge crossing. With the van, we get stung for £100+ to do Dover-Calais (each way). H-Z is about £250 each way, so I figure saving tank of fuel means it’s only about £50 difference, which is well worth it to get a decent sleep and be fresh at the other end. Rosyth-Zeebrugge was great as well, RIP!

Stevo

Premier Icon Tracey
    Subscriber

If you can get hold of some Tesco vouchers you can get across via the tunnel for 1/4 of the price, done that for the last five years

Tracey

joe1983

Expanding foam – lots of
    outboard motor – x2

Job done.

druidh

stevomcd – Member

Rosyth-Zeebrugge was great as well, RIP!

Why the RIP?

Sven

Newcastle – Amsterdam with DFDS Seaways is loads cheaper than the ferry from Rosyth and still saves you most of the driving plus gives you ‘free’ overnight accommodation.

Spongebob

Norfolkline Dover-Dunkerque. Watch out for the economic migrants tho. 😉

Premier Icon bruneep
    Subscriber

tesco clubcard deals for eurotunnel, cost me £50 in vouchers

6 of us travelling from Aberdeen, when are you going?

b1galus

norfolk like are taking over rosyth zeebrugge but with a hefty increase well for me anyway

nasher

Also remeber if your van is taller than 2m you will have to pay commercial rates on the french crossing (about 70% more expensive)

So plan a route off the motorways if you want to save money, but write off a day on the trails though.

Its a bit of a balance really

nasher

sorry meant tolls

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Cheapest way to mainland Europe?’ is closed to new replies.