Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Cheapest way to get euros at an airport?
  • Premier Icon mattyfez
    Free Member

Have to make a short notice trip and haven’t been able to get some quick travel money, about 1 or 200 euros. Can sort more cash when i get out there tomorrow.

I know airports are notorious for bad deals, is there a best way or just suck it up? Will need to buy them on my debit card.

Thanks

Premier Icon molgrips

Why take cash? Just use your card. I never get cash when I travel, unless it’s to some far flung location where it’s required.

Seems terribly anachronistic to go out and get travel money like the old days.

Premier Icon TheBrick
    Free Member

+1 up until covid I traveled extensively and always used my card. Moved to a revolute card for better rates but most banks should be ok within Europe

Premier Icon thegeneralist
    Free Member

I presume you’re talking about the destination airport?
    If not then slap yourself for being a muppet

Just get decent debit/credit card with no/low fees and take it out if a hole in the wall in your destination country. IF you need cash.

( Just be sure to choose euro transaction rather than accepting the machine’s crap GBP exchange rate)

Premier Icon nickjb
    Free Member

I usually use the cash machine at the destination airport. Use a zero fee card and select the local currency option. If you really want cash before flying then I believe you get a better deal by pre-arranging it on-line first rather than just walking up to the desk.

Premier Icon perchypanther
    Free Member

Rob a taxi driver at knifepoint?

Premier Icon molgrips

Using my debit card (Barclays) is the cheapest way for me to buy stuff overseas. If you get the option on the machine to choose if you want the transaction in the local currency or your own, choose local. Because your bank’s exchange rate is likely to be better than the one the machine offers you.

Premier Icon jairaj

If I’m spending ~€200 then even with crap exchange rates and high commission fees you’ll loose out on €10 to €15.

So for an easier life I’d suck it up and get money at the airport or more likely just use my debit card and accept the charges.

FYI for the future, TransferWise offer a free border less account with debit card. So you just transfer over some cash any time you travel. They have an phone app so everything can be done on the fly with little hassle. I think other banks do something similar, eg Monzo and Revolute?

Premier Icon mattyfez
    Free Member

Need cash to pay for my friend to pick me up when I land and I land late tonight, so just need a bit of cash so I can get euros at UK airport or use a cash machine when I land, just need some readies really.

Premier Icon kilo

For cheapness depends if any bureau will be open at the airport, flew into Cork the other week, everything landslide was shut.

Premier Icon IHN

There will be a cash machine at the airport when you land, use that.

Don’t try and use the car-park payment machine though, that won’t work (as MrsIHN found out to her mild confuddlement)

Premier Icon scuttler

If you book to collect travel money at the airport it’s usually tons cheaper. There are comparison sites that work this out but didn’t Travelex go bust? so I expect there may be limited options and a less competitive market.

There’s a whole art on cheap travel spending that’s well documented on sites like MSE so have a read of that and plan ahead for next time.

Premier Icon mattyfez
    Free Member

Think most of the replies on this thread didn’t read that it’s a short notice trip, money by post or getting a different card or whatever are not an option 🙂

I did look yesterday at post office and local supermarkets for money but no joy to collect.

Premier Icon andrewh
    Free Member

The other advantage of using your card is that if you spend £164.38 you convert £164.38. With cash you convert £200, then £35.62 back again and lose out twice.
    Even without a ‘special’ card it’s cheaper, just use whatever card you do have.

Premier Icon mrhoppy

I assume it’s for work, in which case take out a small amount for a shit rate at an airport exchange place then put the rest through on card once you get there.

Use the receipted exchange rate to claim for all expenses. Thank me later.

Premier Icon 5lab
    Free Member

if you must get cash at the airport, travelex has pretty good rates if you prebook.

https://travelmoney.moneysavingexpert.com/

you can book some (and compare rates) there but I think most buro are shut – moneycorp definitely have online booking (and better rates) available, I suspect travelex do too

Premier Icon mattyfez
    Free Member

Thanks all, the bureaux desks seem to be shut but there’s a multi currency cash mashine.. Think I’ll just wait till I land an use the cash machine there.

Premier Icon white101

Get 3 plastic beakers and a ping pong ball and start conning the gullible tourists milling around out of their holiday cash.

Put on a yellow vest and start fining people the minute they get on the plane for not adhering to the 1mtr distance rule.

Use ya card.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.