• This topic has 63 replies, 44 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by loum.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • Cheapest possible food stuffs for lunch at work??
  • benjii19
    Free Member

Today I managed a pot noodle and some tiger bread for £1…

any other cheapo suggestions??

ahwiles
    Free Member

bread roll, tin of mackerel.

trail_rat
    Free Member

jam / marmalade sarnies.

better for you than a pot noodle.

could do the whole week for a quid in aldi at a guess.

tomhoward

Smart price hoops, smart price pasty(s). Around 60p-£1 dependant on portion size.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Packet flavoured rice, under 50p

jackthedog
    Free Member

Make a big vat of soup at home and freeze it in portions?

mildred

When I make me and the families dinner I always make an extra one then box it up for a work lunch.

I also make a lot of home made soups – yesterdays was pea and ham using dried peas and leftover ham. That made about 4 big portions and cost about £2 in total.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Orthe low carb option, tin of value tuna (circa 27p) and some black pepper liberated from the canteen.

9p noodles (inflation may have ruined this student staple, but any of the value range noodles which used to be 9p a few years ago).

weeksy

Cereal if you get free milk..

a bag of porridge lasts longer than Plutonium

ndthornton
    Free Member

Hay is pretty cheap – £2.50 a bale if your lucky

brakes
    Free Member

leftover sandwiches (normally 75% of the order) acquired from meeting rooms after they’ve finished – FREE

richen987
    Free Member

cous cous, vegetables and tuna.
    filling, nutritious and protein, buy weekly and in bulk, less than £1 a day.

pondo

This week I have been lunching on mushrooms, lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, grapes, carrots, spring onions and cubes of cheese, with a banana for pudding. I have sufficient fresh to see me through the week, and although the cheese, peppers and carrots will last more than a week and therefore will not need to be a regular purchase, my shit maths tells me that start up costs to do the same are £9.80, according to the website of a popular supermarket – using the same website, I’m estimating second-week costs as £3.36, which brings my lovely, fresh, healthy and tasty lunch to around £1.32 per day.

I’ve never worked it out before, but that kicks the pants off of the £3.80 I was paying daily for sandwiches, crisps and a snickers. Go me! 😀

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Vegetable couscous salad
    Vegetable pasta salad
    Soup and bread
    3 Pita with cucumber, tomato and hummus

All of these under £1

ton

today I had a cupasoup and a bag of crisps.
    couldn’t be bothered getting up from my chair. which has wheels to whizz around the shop.

ndthornton
    Free Member

After looking in my bin….so far today I have eaten….

a Cadbury brunch bar
    A Fudge bar
    A Chicken tikka pasty
    A Tuna Salad Baguette
    An Activia Yoghourt
    An Orange
    A flake

Was about to peel a banana but after compiling this list I decided to put it back lol

kayak23

damascus
    Free Member

There are 5 of us in our office and we discussed one of us each day making a dinner time meal. Making it at home, putting it in the slow cooker at 9am and all tucking in around 12.

It was a great idea but it was a non starter due to meetings/visits etc.

We were all paying £3 plus a day and we thought we could make a decent dinner for 5 for less than a Tenner.

binners

The lunch of champions…..

You could have partaken of a sausage roll AND a cheese and onion pasty for 99p. Just imagine how satisfied you’d be feeling now

Oh… and couscous isn’t food. I’ve not worked out its actual purpose for being in existence, but its definitely not being eaten. Its like wasps. Its reason for being constantly baffles me

ross980
    Free Member

Make a big vat of soup at home and freeze it in portions?

This. Costs pence, healthy (careful with the salt though). Great for using left over veg. Stick some pulses or beans in it for protein.

rocketman
    Free Member

sardines, beans & couscous with home-grown rocket, chillies, tomatoes & cucumber

Supplement with chilli sauce made out of the chillies

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Sainsbury’s Basics Lasagne or Bolognese Pasta Bake – 75p

Surprisingly good for how cheap they are; British beef, free-range egg, no preservatives or other rubbish. I’d be amazed if you could find better for the money tbh.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

tin of soup and bread roll. c.£1

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

idiotdogbrain – Member

Surprisingly good for how cheap they are; British beef Eastern European horse, free-range egg, no preservatives or other rubbish. I’d be amazed if you could find better for the money tbh.

FTFY.

binners

I used to work with a bloke who had beans on toast for his lunch every single day without fail. Thats well under a squid. Especially if you get dole beans instead of heinz

miketually
    Free Member

A toast sandwich for 7.5p.

Toast one slice of very cheap bread and place it between two untoasted slices of the same cheap bread. If feeling flash, you can butter the toast and add salt/pepper.

330 calories
    9.5g protein
    12g fat
    55g carbs

Hobster
    Free Member

Grated carrot and houmous in pitta bread. Maybe a hint of chilli sauce as well.

binners

Grated carrot and houmous in pitta bread. Maybe a hint of chilli sauce as well.

sardines, beans & couscous with home-grown rocket, chillies, tomatoes & cucumber

I wouldn’t even feed a prisoner of war crap like that, even as a punishment 😆

scaled
    Free Member

I’m assuming all you soup eaters don’t commute by bike.

I felt like death after 4 days of soup at lunch and 7 miles each way to work!

tazzymtb

use the cheap student method that kept me rapier thin, pale, interesting and gothlike

nick some tomato sauce sachets from Mc D’s ,canteens or any other available location, add to a mug of hot water, bit of salt and pepper…et voila…. instant soupy stuff that you can pretty much live on

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

POTATO!

philwarren11
    Free Member

Herbalife for me. 🙂

seosamh77
    Free Member

loaf of bread – £1.00
    cooked ham – £1.00
    bag of salad/lettce – £1.00
    cucumber – £0.65
    cheddar cheese – £1.80
    baxters sliced beetroot – £1.00

so = £6.45 / 5 = £1.29 a day.

all prices from tesco.

Not as cheap as other suggestions, but chuck it all together and it makes a great piece(sandwich)!

rocketman
    Free Member

I wouldn’t even feed a prisoner of war crap like that

cheap though binners!

trail_rat
    Free Member

herbalife – i got a torrent of abuse on facebook from herbabummers when i merely suggested that fitness,health and well being didnt come from a powder and that it was one of the best known pyramid schemes out there.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

cbmotorsport – Member

idiotdogbrain – Member

Surprisingly good for how cheap they are; British beef Eastern European horse, free-range egg, no preservatives or other rubbish. I’d be amazed if you could find better for the money tbh.

FTFY. [/quote]
    Oh, how original! Tell me sir, are you of the comedic persuasion…?

binners

cheap though binners!

for very good reason! 😉

As well as my failure to see the reason for couscous, I’m also convinced that humous only exists after an oversight left some enterprising individual with an enormous surplus of tiling grout and some cheap, readily available garlic flavouring.

Hobster
    Free Member

Super Noodle sandwich

butcher

Soup is definitely the cheapest. Ready prepared packet of chopped vegetables from Tesco (£1.10), or Aldi (89p), and that will make you 4 or 5 good sized portions.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Cheapest possible food stuffs for lunch at work??’ is closed to new replies.