Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Cheapest “enduro” rear shock with compression damping / lockout
  • RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Hi all

I want to upgrade the RS Monarch R Debonair 200 * 57 that came on my Intense Tracer T275C to something that will give me a lockout / some compression damping adjustment.

The current tune is standard MM and I assume the Debonair means it’s large volume.

So… recommendations that aren’t crazy money?!

Thanks 🙂

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

*insert tumbleweed gif*

shifter
    Free Member

Monarch Plus RC3 Debonair?

That’s what I’ve put on my Process. Haven’t actually ridden it yet but I didn’t hate the Monarch R it replaced so I’m not worried. The lockout will be a bonus.

kayak23

Fox dps Evol? I just bought one for my Rocket following a psa on here.

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/search?q=Fox+evol

JohnnyPanic

Is that DPS Evol any good?

chakaping
    Free Member

Perhaps look out for a lightly used Monarch Plus RC3, they seem to go for £150-plus. Not sure they’ve worth retail price.

I’d probably try those German Fox bargains though.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Hmm the Fox DPS Evol looks interesting, thanks.

How’s the performance been?

I have seen a few monarch plus’s on fleabay but am always worried about getting burned ..

RustyMac

Have you had a look at the DVO topaz – is £375 over budget?

CRC have the 200×50 for £375 this is actually a 200×50/57 shock and is converted to 200×57 by removal of a travel reducing spacer in the air can.

Neb

I’ve heard that the manitou MacLeod is pretty good. Simple but performs well with adjustments that do what they are supposed to. Currently £155 new from CRC.

poah
    Free Member

Manitou macleod would be the best option.  you can also get a king can for a larger negative air spring.

chakaping
    Free Member

I have seen a few monarch plus’s on fleabay but am always worried about getting burned ..

Monarchs do seem a bit prone to wearing on the shaft.

A secondhand CCDB Air with climb switch might be a safer bet – and would have better performance.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

I must admit, I’ve been put off by manitou stuff in the past – particularly where proprietary tools are needed to service them. That and finding someone to service them when you can’t find the tool!

Re budget – needs to be under £300 really.

chakaping
    Free Member

Should get a nice DBair with recent service for £300.

kayak23

Hmm the Fox DPS Evol looks interesting, thanks.

How’s the performance been?

I can’t get off my hardtail lately, so I don’t know. It looks nice though. 😉

https://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/category/components/rear-shocks/product/review-fox-racing-float-factory-dps-shock-49341/

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Cheapest “enduro” rear shock with compression damping / lockout’ is closed to new replies.