Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Cheapest/easiest way to migrate to electric gearing.?
  • medlow
    Free Member

Hey guys..
    So I really fancy a swap to electronic gearing.. I’ve been keen since it’s indroduction years back and on the surface of it, the tech looks to be pretty honed now.

I’m currently running Sram Force 1x on my Mason Bokeh. And want to ideally keep as much as I can to keep the faff and cost down.
    I’m assuming I can keep my nice Force carbon cranks, chainring, cassette and chain with whatever move I make to go electronic?

So… If I go electronic Sram, can I keep my Force flat mount calipers? Are they interchangeable ?I hope so.
    Meaning all I need is the new rear mech and new levers. That seems like my easist option.

If I go Shimnao, I’ll have to swap the calipers, levers and mech.

Ideas, suggestions and any advice appreciated.

medlow
    Free Member

This appears to be my option:

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/sram-force-etap-axs-1×12-speed-elektronic-kit-804726

Its a lever set and wireless rear mech… Sold as an upgrade kit.
    I cant see why I cant use my current Force calipers with them.
    It’s 12s though… So I’ll need to swap my cassette too. Which means swapping out the free hub for an XD. I’m running HUNTxMason 4season wheels so thats not an issue I dont think.

But I run 2 sets of wheels.

So the shopping list is getting bigger:

1x Force Etap upgrade kit.
    2x cassettes.
    2x XD freehubs.
    1x new chain while I’m at it.

It’s going to get expensive. Bummer. I might re-think.

orangeboy
    Free Member

What ratio do you want to use for your 1x

Think force axs mech will go up to 33t on the rear officially.

mattbee

To be honest whenever I’ve looked at doing a similar thing (both with Di2 and AXS) it’s ended up being cheaper for me to buy a whole groupset/gearset or ‘upgrade kit’ as Sram seem to all them and sell my mechanical stuff.
    You tend to see far more deals on complete setups than individual component prices.

joebristol

I’m looking at swapping out my 11 speed Shimano 105 for Ultegra di2 and there’s quite a bit of cost involved – but at least with that I’m staying 11 speed so no dramas there.

The major thing for me is syncro shift where the front mech shifts at the appropriate time itself based on where on the cassette you are. With 1x I’m not sure I’d bother.

That said, could you do something either the previous Sram 11speed etap stuff rather than going with AXS – so you’d stay 11 speed which would knock out the need for new cassettes / Xd drivers etc?

I don’t know anything about it, but maybe it’s worth you researching that route?

oldnpastit

medlow
    Free Member

Yeah the upgrade kit which consists of 2 levers and a rear mech seems the best option to replace the least parts. I wont be buying individual bits, unless I find some 2nd hand.

But this 12s from 11s swap is pushing the justification (want over cost) to the extreme.
    £130 for a cassette (new)!! So i’m looking at near to £1k to swap. OUCH!
    If only they allowed the Force Etap to be configured for 11s.!! Darn them.

10-33t rear will be just fine for me.

That Xshifter stuff very interesting.. But I cant bring myself to ziptie boxes to my Mason.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

I swapped my Bokeh from Force 1 to elecrtic but went with Di2. Ultegra shifters and XT rear mech meant i kept the Force cranks, chain and cassette.

The problem with the Force eTap, or so I’m led to believe, is that to run 12 speed you need a 12 speed chainring and chain as well as the cassette. This makes it prohibitively expensive.

medlow
    Free Member

I’m keen to know more about the di2 Ultegra / XT mash up.. Can you post of some detail, maybe with some part numbers etc.?
    But that means swapping my lovely Sram Force flatmount calipers.

It’s swings and roundabouts. I guess.
    Go di2 and change calipers. Go Etap and swap cassette and freehub.

I’ve read that you can run a 12s chain on a 11s chainring as the internal width is still the same.. Is that not the case?

notmyrealname
    Free Member

I’ve read that you can run a 12s chain on a 11s chainring as the internal width is still the same.. Is that not the case?

That’s what I’ve been led to believe on here, I’ve googled it and it seems to be the case. That put me off buying Force eTap.

joebristol

If the shimano callipers put you off di2 you can replace them with Hope RX4’s….they look quite nice. Pictured on the other thread about the alternative option to the Space Chicken.

Did you see my point about 11 speed eTap (so the version before AXS) – would that not work with your existing cassette / cranks / chain etc?

orangeboy
    Free Member

Sram have changed the diameter of the chain rollers when they went flat top chain.

In theory nothing else works with the 12 speed axs stuff but rotor are meant to have rings in the way.

Carbon ti do some but ££££

If you can wait a bit you might get better choice of after market stuff.

Have a look on weight weenies as they have some threads on what works in the real world

medlow
    Free Member

If Sram 12 speed wont work with my 11speed chainring and chain then it complicates things.
    It’s becoming clear that moving to Sram Force Etap 12s means a complete drivetrain swap… Bummer.
    Thats a complete drivetrain/groupset purchase required then and beyond insanity.

The previous 11s Red Etap…
    Does the Red rear mech have a clutch or is it pure road focused?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Cheapest/easiest way to migrate to electric gearing.?’ is closed to new replies.