Cheapest bike I’ve ever bought…

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Cheapest bike I’ve ever bought…
  • wiggles

After not having a bike(well I have a 90s Raleigh with not existant brakes that weighs 3 tons) for over a year due to having to sell them all for financial reasons I bought something to take to ride with the kids on holiday in Devon next week…

Its a carrera crossfire hybrid with 8 speed gears and mechanical discs and it sucks but I have a few spare parts lying around I can make it a bit better with a hopefully get back into riding again.

My last few bikes were pretty high spec as I used to work in the bike industry so I have been spoilt and this is very much slumming it for me!

I want to hear stories of shit bikes that gave you the chance to ride and enjoy bikes again to see that I’m not mad just wasting money….

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

£60 (new) Apollo Vortice BMX from when I was a student. More fun per £ has been had on that than any bike I’ve had, before or since

orangeboy

Ive got a old early 90s rockhopper that was going free. I use it to run errands and tame local rides it’s a blast.

You can have fun on any bike it does not have to be a modern super bike.

Just enjoy getting out and riding

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Nothing shit about it but I bought a Soul for £250 off here, awesome. If I want a proper shitter I’ve got my 1990 Carrera Krakatoa Flex in the attic.

Premier Icon Pik n Mix
    Subscriber

I’m currently in a financial downturn and utterly miserable that I can’t ride after selling all my bikes. So I do indeed hope that there is a fun bargaintastic new one in my immediate future.

Premier Icon Bregante
    Subscriber

90’s fully rigid Kona hahanna single speed bought off eBay for £120. It was too small for me but handled like an oversized BMX and I commuted on it for a year before buying a karate monkey which fitted me better. It was bloody brilliant.

On a related note, isn’t Google image search amazing? I searched Kona hahanna and my user name and my actual bike popped up in the first couple of images (probably not amazing at all but I’m easily pleased)

parkesie

I got a trek 810 or something out of a skip and a whistle something both were perfect after a little tlc

steve_b77

I bought a Charge Plug freestyler off eBay for £250 to use as a commuter when I moved to London. 2 years, one set of brake pads and a set of tyres, I sold it for £230.

Cracking bike.

Premier Icon cookeaa
    Subscriber

Another kona here, a 97 fire mountain, I got the frame and forks off retro bike for £50, built it up with spares bin parts and used it as my winter SS hack for a couple of years… Great bike:

My other great value purchase was a viking citifix it started off looking like this:

Now looks like this:

Premier Icon angeldust
    Subscriber

I believe On One are doing a deal where they refund you the full cost of the frame after 10 years if you moan enough, even if you sold it within a year.

wiggles

Bike

Still can’t figure out pictures on the new forum but there is the beast… Have some avid db3 brakes to upgrade to hydraulics and hopefully getting some shifters off here because it has the integrated shifter/brakes got some grips and a better saddle here to fit and hopefully should make a bit nicer to use

Premier Icon dukeduvet
    Subscriber

OP hope you have fun on your budget bike.

I picked up a Kona Pahoehoe and Marzocchi marathon for under £100 on ebay. Still fun to ride off road. Some real bargains to be had such as older Voodoo Bizangos for under £300. I love budget mtb stuff. Present bike is a Genesis High Latitude 29er with Reba, Hope, Xt, slx, WTB and Kinesis wheels for about £500 built up from bargains on here.

wiggles

Does anyone know if a sram x4 8 speed shifter will work with a Shimano mech? I can’t remember if it’s only 7-8 or only 7 that both worked the same

wiggles

Problem solved by stw again 8 speed shifters sorted so hopefully running better shifters and hydrolic brakes before I go away so hopefully works alright

Premier Icon bigjim
    Subscriber

Yeti frame for £75 or something off here built up with random old spare parts I had lying in boxes. If I could only have one bike it’s the one I’d keep

I bought a £10 Claud Butler, put new tubes on it and rode around for
    two years. I didn’t oil the chain or cables and after two years it sort of
    died. I looked on Gumtree and found a £10 Marin Muirwoods to replace it.

OP…..did you say what you spent?

wiggles

£70 I’ve had cheaper (free bikes) but this is the cheapest I’ve actually paid for

coynie09

£80 Kona Nunu from a certain Bike retailer that didn’t cash there checks money in bank for 2 years…

bukobuko

orangeboy that’s exactly what Sam Pilgrim did.

bukobuko

2018 crosstrail expert 150 quid should have kept it but couldn’t resist selling it on and got 400 pounds, and No it was not stolen the guy was looking for a quick sale and moving back Florida as well as selling his mustang.

wiggles

First step of attach parts stash to bike… Didn’t want to use the hope stem on this bike but the brake hose was too short for a longer stem haha

MVIMG_20180729_212216

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Cheapest bike I’ve ever bought…’ is closed to new replies.