Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Cheapest 5D MkII?
  • bearnecessities

Pondering a 5D MkII (well not pondering, achingly want one) – best price I can find for new:

http://slrhut.co.uk/product/ID154C5/google

Anyone aware of any non-google shopper bargains (new)?

grum
    Free Member

Google SLRHut – I seem to remember they are one to avoid. You can get it for around the same from Panamoz with the 5% discount for paying via bank transfer. I know people who’ve done this with a 5D mk III without any problems.

cp

I’d stick to Panamoz or DigitalRev

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    johndoh
    Free Member

I have been watching them for an age (price alert on Reevoo) and the offers seem to be pretty static….

… until just before Christmas that is – John Lewis were doing body + lens (24-105 F2.8 Canon lens) for £1600. I almost let aout a little bit of sex wee and tried to buy it before they changed their mind. Fortunately I realised at the last minute that the picture was wrong and it was the body only.

🙁

grum
    Free Member

That certainly would be a bargain if it had come with a 24-105 f2.8 (they don’t exist AFAIK). 🙂

toppers3933
    Free Member
    johndoh
    Free Member

Sorry F4

bearnecessities

Thanks Toppers, 3year guarantee as well – nice touch. Got a 24-105 already to sit on it.

grum
    Free Member

I’ve used HDEW in the past with no issues.

cmjdavies
    Free Member

http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk for up to date prices. He’s pretty good and up to date with prices

creamegg
    Free Member

I’d avoid SLRhut myself. Can recommend HDEW cameras though. Don’t know what their current price for 5D II is but they are normally very competitive

m1kea
    Free Member

As someone who owns multple Canon bodies, I would strongly urge you to go straight to the 5D3 if you’re set on full frame.

I obviously can’t ignore the price differential bit the AF is excellent and the low noise capabilities pliss all over just about anything else.

It’s what the 5D2 should have been, 7D features with decent AF, in a full frame body.

The day after I got mine, I rattled off 8000+ frames shooting a marathon and have probably done about 50000 frames now. I guess I’ve taken about 3000 ‘full frame’ shots in that total.

vorlich
    Free Member

Why not just buy used from a reputable dealer? MPB? Mifsuds? LCE? Ffordes?

Problem solverized.

rosscopeco
    Free Member

I can vouch for fforbes…bought my current new 40D from them…waiting on the rumoured 70D or maybe stretch to the new 7D mk2…if they ever get released.

grum
    Free Member

The day after I got mine, I rattled off 8000+ frames shooting a marathon and have probably done about 50000 frames now. I guess I’ve taken about 3000 ‘full frame’ shots in that total.

How ya mean you’ve taken 3000 ‘full frame’ shots on that total? 😕

MrSmith
    Free Member

They go for £900 second hand so the HDEW price is a steal for a new one.
    Half tempted to sell mine and buy a new one.

zokes
    Free Member

If anyone is getting a kit but doesn’t need the lens, I suspect my 24-105L is terminally borked, so I may be interested in splitting it with you.

Issue is I’m in Oz…

m1kea
    Free Member

grum
    How ya mean you’ve taken 3000 ‘full frame’ shots on that total?

Sorry, by that I mean shots that you pay the price premium of a full frame body for; landscapes, etc.

Despite having had a 7D for nearly three years, I still don’t like the IQ and the AF can be err variable. The 5D3 is massive overkill for running, cycling and triathlon events but IMO the IQ and so far, accuracy, is far superior to the ‘sports’ 7D.

Looking at it another way I didn’t think the 5D2 was sufficient upgrade from the 5D to warrant the expense. Pretty much all of the photos I’ve got on Panoramio were taken with my 5D.

Can’t wait to take some proper shots with my 5D3.

Oh and plus 1 to Vorlich’s 2ndhand retailer recommendations

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Cheapest 5D MkII?’ is closed to new replies.