Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Cheaper version of Surly Monkey Nuts?`
  • Premier Icon dufresneorama
    Free Member

Looking for monkey nuts, or something a bit cheaper to for my slotdrop inbred. the front mech clamp fouls the rear tyre.

Anything out there?

Premier Icon dufresneorama
    Free Member

Seen these online…worth a bosh?

Premier Icon scaredypants

If your dropout slots open backwards, i reckon you could probably bodge a chainring bolt in there. Are chaintugs no use ?

If they open forwards, dunno – can you get chaintugs that work “round” the cowl ?

Free Member

They open backwards. I think chaintugs would work, wouldn’t it mean more faff taking wheel out though?

Also seen these: Planet X exocet dropout spacer but doesn’t look like there would be anyway of attaching them so they didn’t fall out when removing the wheel.

I’ve got a load of chainring bolts in the shed, so maybe worth a shot.

Premier Icon scaredypants

I assume you’re using gears ? (otherwise a chaintug would be much better)

I had (one) on-one chaintug that looped round the axle of my QR hub. WHen I undid the QR and released the chain from the sprocket, the wheel pulled out backwards and the tug stayed hooped round the axle. Was a tiny bit more fiddly to put back in, but still easy

Free Member

Yeah, will be running this one geared.

Thanks for the reply, I’ll give the chainring bolt a go as hoping to finish build tomorrow. It should provide just enough space to miss the front mech.

Thought about using an e-type front mech (fiver for the LX one on chainreaction) but i’m running a 48t front ring and I doubt it’ll cope.

Premier Icon singlespeedstu

I think I have a brand new pair of monkey nuts in the garage you can have for the right price.
    Drop us an email if you’re interested.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Cheaper version of Surly Monkey Nuts?`’ is closed to new replies.