Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Cheap XC hardtail frames?
  • hollyboni
    Free Member

I want to build a cheap but cheerful 29er XC hardtail to use instead of my gravel bike.

I don’t want anything crazy and the “dated” XC geometry is perfectly fine. So that’s 69-70mm head angle and a 100mm fork. I want a thru axle and two bottle cage mounts. Clearance for 2.35s if possible. 29er only. It would be nice if I could use that ancient piece of technology called the front derailleur. 😀

I looked around and I can either find high end carbon stuff or really low end aluminium frames. I considered the Chiner Ali/Ebay route but I live in Hungary and since the frames come from outside the EU the import taxes would completely kill the price. My budget is around 250 pounds.

Basically something like these two would be perfect:

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/cube-reaction-hpa-sl-29-side-swing-frame-black-n-blue-692540

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/cube-reaction-gtc-pro-29-side-swing-frame-grey-n-flashyellow-711752

I’m suspecting these are one time deals and they don’t have my size which should be around 21″. The aluminium frame is available in a 19″ but I think that top tube would be too short.

Any ideas? Should I just look for used frames?

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

johnw1984
    Free Member

If there’s room for budget creep, the carbon Cube Reaction GTC frames are really nice from Bike Discount. I’ve just sold mine as it was too similar to my full sus.

Even with cheaper, heavier components it built up nice and light. I had a gravel bike and sold it to fund the build. I found the light XC bike a lot more fun and versatile.

A lot more capable than the numbers suggest too!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    hollyboni
    Free Member

@johnw1984

That’s one of the frames that I posted, it’s literally perfect, but they only have it in a size 23″ which I think would be a size too large for me. Although i’ve thought about just calling it modern geo and going with something like a 40mm stem… 😀

Do you know where these Cube frames come from? Is it possible that they’re gonna have more stock in the future? Because that GTC is exactly what i’m looking for and it’s dirt cheap for what it is IMO.

johnw1984
    Free Member

How tall are you? Mine was a 21″ frame and I’m 6’2″ with short legs for my size (33″ inseam).

Stand over was spot on and I had plenty of post showing. I went with a 70mm stem and 720mm bars and it felt perfect. Sham I didn’t try it with more combos 🙁

Looks like most of them have sold now. Be aware though, I had to purchase the DT Swiss rear axle, seat post collar and headset. You basically get the frame only (also, mech hangar is Sram/Shimano specific).

hollyboni
    Free Member

I’m 184-185cm that I guess is 6 feet and 0.8 inches according to google? 😀 My inseam is around 34-35″, I think I have long legs. I think in terms of standover and saddle height the 23″ would be good but i’m afraid of that 640mm top tube. And i’m sure it looks a bit dumb… Which I know is a dumb thing to consider.

Yeah I know that it’s just a naked frame but still even with the few extras I still think it’s a killer deal. I could only find carbon frames straight from China for this kind of money. Even some aluminium frames cost more from small direct to consumer brands.

djflexure

Got a Yeti Big Top, used sparingly and in good condition that meets your spec. Its a large with 19.5″ st and 24.8″ ett. Bonus of a threaded BB. I have single speed and 135 dropouts, but Silverfish still sell the 12 x 142.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Yeah, no doubt the frames are a bargain, even after purchasing the extras.

I wouldn’t be too concerned about the top tube length. Cube bikes aren’t really long compared to some manufacturers. For that price, I’d risk it personally 🙂

hollyboni
    Free Member

Yeah, in modern geo that 23″ would be just a large, although I think the slack head angle also brings the bars a bit closer to you?

I’ll compare a few frames and i’ll think about it. What I know is that one thing I really hate is feeling stretched out.

Looking at the geometry tables the difference in TT length between the 21 and 23 is 11mm… Hmm. That’s not much and I gain a bunch of stack. I like being upright and i’m also planning a bar with more than usual backsweep for comfort.

Decisions, decisions…

@djflexure
    : Thanks, still on the fence about going the used route.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

I have an Orange Clockwork 100. 29er, 2017 model, which is neatly in between old school and new school geometry. It will be the xl size, will check later to confirm.

I am about to strip it to sell the frame and some parts as it doesn’t get used much.

I’m 190cm I think (6 feet 4 inches). I want something a little longer so it might be a good fit for you.

blackmountainsrider
    Free Member

I have a 2017 trek superfly in XL that I’m looking to sell the frame from. If that’s if interest message me at blackmountainsrider at gmail.com

hollyboni
    Free Member

Thanks everyone. I thought about it, looked at a few different geometry charts. I’m gonna have the funds in about two weeks, if the Cube is still there by then, i’m gonna go with it.

If not, i’ll probably go the used route, get a cheap alu frame, powdercoat it and give it a new life.

The 23″ Cube is probably gonna look dumb because of the long (compared to modern slack bikes) seattube, but the standover should be similar to my gravel bike. 🙂

mick_r

Might be worth a phone call to Torq. They had some top end new Whyte 29er carbon frames on ebay last week that sold around £350. I know they had another medium that wasn’t advertised, so maybe they also have a large? The 2015 ones had a front mech mount. They seem to size up quite large (eg medium was same as a large Norco I compared it with).

hollyboni
    Free Member

@mick_r

What’s Torq? 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Cheap XC hardtail frames?’ is closed to new replies.