Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Cheap (direct drive) Turbo Trainer options (Thinkrider, Xplova, Elite)
  • orena45

Thinking about a cheap direct drive turbo trainer…there are a few deals out there at the moment:

– ETC Thinkrider X5-2 for £287 at Tredz
    – Lifeline/Xplova Noza S for £350 at Wiggle
    – Elite Directo Smart for £385 at Wiggle

Not willing to spend over £400 – was considering the Elite and it’s the better known brand and then saw the ETC for £100 lower, which is very tempting and seems to have a few decent reviews from what I can scavenge on Google.

Any reason not to go for the ETC?
    Anyone used the two cheaper options and can feed back?

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

I had an Xplova Nova S for a week in January before I sent it back and got a Jetblack Volt instead because the Nova used a non-standard BT protocol for power it didn’t work with Wahoo SYSTM, it did work with Zwift though.

Nova S vs Jetback Volt

Nova S better road feel, heavier and sturdier build quality. Terrible app even worse than the JetBlack one, maybe there is a new version?

Volt is faster to respond to big power changes in ERG mode. Volt can re-broadcast cadence and HR data so you can get power, trainer control, cadence and HR when using Zwift on an AppleTV

davidr

Any reason that it had to be new? I bought a Tacx Flux S from Ebay.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ads678

Ooh they are good prices, I’ve been thinking of selling mine but think I’ll hang on to it for a bit longer if new ones are going for those prices ATM…

mtbfix

I’ve got an X5 and have no complaints. It’s the first smart trainer I’ve used so I can’t compare it to the more expensive stuff but it set up and connected easily to my phone and Zwift which is all I can ask.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I much prefer my Saris H3 to my v1 Elite Direto that semi-broke around Feb after being hammered for over four years…

It’s a LOT quieter, my Direto used to upset my better half and downstairs neighbours when doing ~300W+!
    20% vs 14% max simulated gradient (which I like for a better idea of how a climb will feel in the real world)
    Great for ERG intervals, quick to change and then adapt to my effort within an interval.

Got mine for ~£485 from Rutland (they were ~£800 when released in ’19 iirc) around Easter, a quick look around they are £450 including code at Probikekit and £475 at Halfords (been claims by some that British Cycling 10% discount works).

Zwift are selling rebadged Volt smart turbos for ~£450, numerous issues reported on forum about arriving dead or dead after firmware updates.

molgrips
    Free Member

I have an Elite Direto X bought just before the first lockdown for £420 IIRC. It’s seen a lot of use, it continues to work without drama. It’s the only one I’ve ever used though.

julians
    Free Member

Ive got an elite direto XR, had it for a couple of years now, its seems good to me. Use it with Zwift.

retrorick

I have a noza s.
    It has the Bluetooth issue which meant it couldn’t connect to my phone to update the firmware.
    Worked with zwift no problem.
    It was fixed under warranty and now works well.
    I paid £600. £350 is a good price.

orena45

davidr
    Any reason that it had to be new? I bought a Tacx Flux S from Ebay.

For the warranty mostly but also as I’d be wanging it on the credit card to pay off over in a couple of chunks in the new year. I guess Ebay is an option funded via Paypal/cc though…rarley use Ebay so hadn’t even considered it tbf !

mtbfix
    I’ve got an X5 and have no complaints. It’s the first smart trainer I’ve used so I can’t compare it to the more expensive stuff but it set up and connected easily to my phone and Zwift which is all I can ask.

Sounds promising. Read a BikeRadar review which mentioned it felt a bit top heavy for out of saddle sprinting, especially with the built-in 8 degree side-to-side swing. Have you found that to be the case?

Zwift are selling rebadged Volt smart turbos for ~£450, numerous issues reported on forum about arriving dead or dead after firmware updates.

Yeah, had been looking at that one but out of stock. Interesting to hear about the problems though. Looked up the Volt but nothing within my budget.

molgrips
    Free Member

Oh, this thread reminded me to go and calibrate my Elite trainer. For this you need the Elite app which is utterly shit. Took about 15 mins of farting about and misleading messages to get it to work.

Northwind

I have a magene t100, tbh I can’t compare it with anything else really since it’s the only smart trainer I’ve ever used, but it seems good to me.

doomanic

There’s also 12 months IFC and 3% Quidco cash back at Tredz

thered

Etc X5 here and no issues, cracking for the price

orena45

Cheers all. Taken a punt on the ETC, so best clear some room in the shed now 🙂

ratherbeintobago

Anyone tried the Zwift one?

bennyboy1
    Free Member

Just picked up a brand new Saris H3 for £404 (£390 if incl. cashback) and it included a home trainer kit for free worth an extra (£40), i.e. sweat proof fold out floor matt and a sweat net for the bike.

Bloody great deal considering the Saris H3 RRP is £749.

plus-one

I second the saris h3 I picked one up few weeks back. £424(10% off with wife being nhs)

Excellent bit of kit super easy set up and solid 🙂

chrispoffer

ratherbeintobago
    Anyone tried the Zwift one?

@ratherbeintobago

Yup, I’ve got one. I liked the fact that it comes with a cassette and idiot proof instructions so is pretty much ready to go. The first one they delivered paired up OK to my iPad, HR strap and phone – but wouldn’t actually show any power / speed / cadence info. A couple of emails with their (very good) customer support and Hub #2 arrived via DPD. Second one works fine, I’ve got nothing to compare it to – my last dumb turbo got chucked out about 5 years ago – but I’m enjoying the Zwift experience so far.

doomanic

@mtbfix @thered does the X5 have ERG Mode?

thered

@doomanic yes it does

Paul-S
    Free Member

Where did you get that from bennyboy1?

P.

doomanic

@thered thanks. Mine arrived today so I just found out that it does. Bloody brilliant it is too.

snownrock

One at Merlin Cycles for £399 Link

orena45

My X5 came yesterday and just put it together. Minor issue in that the thread for one of the support wing bolt holes hasn’t been threaded cleanly, so can only screw 3 of the 4 bolts in at the moment. Seems to be a bit of swarf in the thread so will see if I can file it out or something. Looks good otherwise. Downloaded the app and firmware upgraded without a problem too.

Just waiting for a cassette to arrive and then can try it out this weekend

dereknova
    Free Member

Just bumping this as my Tacx Flow went bang, literally, today 🙁

Looking at direct drive as a replacement, maybe. Would be attached to a Pinnacle Arkose D3.

the ETC X5 and the Xplova NOZA S (blueteeth issue aside) seem pretty cheap at the moment, would be used solely with Zwift.

OP / Oreana, anything to add following your purchases?

Cheers

orena45

Yeah, been really happy with my ETC. Only used in Zwift…No wireless connection issues, very quiet, good feel. Can’t compare it to anything else other than my previous cheap Halfords spec Elite wheel-on trainer, but yeah all good IMHO and worth it.

martinhutch

I’m just starting out with a Thinkrider (Using Rouvy), seems to work well so far, no problems setting it up and linking it via BT.

finbar
    Free Member

@orena45 I’ve just bought a Thinkrider from J’s cycles. £200 delivered!

https://www.jscycleshack.com/accessories/turbo-trainers/thinkrider-x5-neo-turbo-trainer__21272

Not used it yet but I have unboxed it. It even comes with a cassette (11spd and I want to use it with 10spd, but still…).

orena45

@finbar Bargain!

And with a cassette…double bargain!

I rinsed all the free trials from the various apps towards the end of winter…Zwift, Rouvy, Bkool…trainer worked great with all of them.

finbar
    Free Member

Holy thread revival, sorry –  no idea how I managed to think this was recent 😀

Anyway, that’s great news the trainer works well, should be £200 well spent (and as I’ve now got a turbo again, that will probably guarantee us a sunny July….)

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.