Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Cheap Trolley Jacks
  • plop_pants
    Free Member

need to do the odd job on the car so thought about getting one and saw this little deal HalfordsTrolley
    Any good?

cheekyboy
    Free Member

I have a good friend called oblong head who bought a cheap trolley jack, if you are gonna use one get some axle stands as well, be safe, live longer.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Cheap or expensive jack never work under a car only on a jack. Always use axel stands.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sbob
    Free Member

I found the jack a bit lacking trying to lift my Jag (1.7t), it struggled with the weight and looked/felt quite unstable.
    On lighter cars it was ok (1.25t).
    Doesn’t have a very high lift.

sbob
    Free Member

OP links to a jack and stands offer and I feel proud to be in the elite third. 😆

trail_rat
    Free Member

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/ctj2l-2-tonne-long-diy-trolley-jack

Better buy

Copes with my 90 and my frontera – both heavy yolks

Northwind

I had one of those, wasn’t the tallest, and took quite a lot of pumping to raise it, but otherwise good. But yes, don’t work under a car that’s not supported in other ways- blocks, axle stands, doesn’t really matter, jacks are for lifting.

br
    Free Member

you ought to focus on quality, not price…

And +1 axle stands (I normally also put the wheel under the sill to give further protection, if I’m taking it off).

My pal recently escaped serious injury, when the car he was working on fell off the jack – only got 20 stitches in his face and a broken cheekbone…

plop_pants
    Free Member

It’ll be used on a vw polo/skoda fabia/mazda3. Deffo using axle stands, the deal includes them.
    First job is to replace a broken rear suspension spring on the polo, so as long as the jack goes low enough when I’m dropping the arm down so the spring drops out then alls good.

somafunk

It’s not the greatest but it works perfectly fine on a level surface with additional axle stands, I’ve re-shelled cars using them and i have 3 cheapie halfords jacks such as the one you listed in my shed at the moment – been using them for 15+years as the design hasn’t changed, I’m mechanic to trade fwiw.

Like everything else, it’s how you use it and as long you are aware of it’s capabilities and limitations it’ll do you fine for home mechanics.

Stripped this to a bare shell using cheapie halfords jacks,

£4000 and a helluva welding along wi all new parts it turned into this.

plop_pants
    Free Member

😀

mark90
    Free Member

I have the Halfords 2T trolley jack and it has coped with numerous Land Rovers over the last 10 years or so, and even changing a wheel on a 3.5T Iveco. As far as I can tell from looking at them it comes out of the same factory as the similar Clarke ones. The main advantage of some of the more expensive jacks is the wider footprint which helps stability, especially if the grond isn’t entirely flat/smooth.

nickjb
    Free Member

If you can stretch to a bigger one they are a lot better. Lift higher and are far more stable. Something like this click. They are heavier though so if you need to carry it from a shed to the other side of the house one of those little halfords ones might be more convenient.

1981miked
    Free Member

Nice Golf Somafunk.. Worth more than u spent now though I reckon.

Jason
    Free Member

The Halfords one looks very similar to my one, which came from Woolworths of all places.

Works well, I have used it on a variety of mainly small cars (MR2, Westfield, Octavia, Mk4 Golf) and it has worked fine. Drops down fairly low and has got under all the cars I have owned, and lifts easily. If I was doing proper garage work I would get something more substantial, but this is fine for occasional use.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Cheap Trolley Jacks’ is closed to new replies.