Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Cheap temporary car insurance?
  • mboy
    Free Member

Just been given a car by a mate to sell… I need to run around in it for a couple of weeks to sort it out, and sell on, and also the timing is good cos my own car needs a bit of work done to it too.

In the past have just rung up my insruance company and they’ve insured an additional car for about £25 per week. Not cheap, but convenient.

Rang up now, said they don’t do such a thing, and I’d have to take a full policy out on the vehicle at £832 per year!!! Haha. And if I cancel it inside 14 days, I’d be liable to a £127 charge… WTF?!?!

Seriously… Quite annoyed about this…

Who/what/where to look for temporary cover on a 2nd vehicle?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Pretty rare to get full cover on an otherwise un-insured vehicle short term. there’s plenty of really short-term cover places but they’re far far from cheapp.

mboy
    Free Member

Ok well what would you suggest then?

Cancel insurance on my own car whilst it’s off the road and being fixed, transfer to this one, then when mine is fixed (and I want it back on the road), transfer back?

Only cars that are insured will obviously be driven, and if not insured, will be parked up on private property and not move anywhere. Both are worth significantly little as to not worry about full comp anyway.

RustyMac

Presuming your mate still has his car insured can you not see about him adding you as a named driver on his policy. You pay him the cost of changing his policy but presuming you have a clean licence it shouldn’t be too much. I am presuming he has done the sensible thing of keeping it insured till it sold so people can test drive it.

mboy
    Free Member

He’s cancelled the insurance on it, he’s basically given me the car either to keep (for a nominal fee) or to sell on. He doesn’t know much about cars and only got offered £200 for it in part ex anyway. It’s not worth loads, but it’s certainly worth a fair bit more than £200.

I was just gonna give it a quick once over, oil and filter change, then stick it on ebay for £600 or so, but actually need to run around in it for a couple of weeks whilst my own car is off the road being fixed… Ergo the problem.

br
    Free Member

Just change cars on your policy, and SORN yours’.

PePPeR

I struggled with a similar dilema. I ended up geting traders policy insurance, doesn’t help you but I’ll take the car off your hands 🙂

maccruiskeen

and I’d have to take a full policy out on the vehicle at £832 per year!!!

where you get stung is your no claims bonus for car A can’t be applied to car B – you need to earn a second no claims bonus for the additional car.

However some companies now do something called a ‘mirrored’ no claims for a second vehicle, which can be much cheaper. So rather than adding the car to your existing policy try a comparison site and some quotes for the additional car on its own – the mirrored policies will be the ones that are eye catchingly cheaper, I’ve just bought a new van to run alongside my existing one. The mirrored policy was half the price of the others

cynic-al
    Free Member

there have been threads on this in the past. Or pistonheads?

BrickMan

‘cheap’ and ‘car insurance’ in the same sentence? Not since at least 2005

Amazingly I actually pay the same now for my insurance with 5+ NCB and being over 25 etc and in the lowest crime rate bracket and a low bracket car, as I did when I was 17 in a modified fiat living in a rough area in the North East etc. WTF!

I prefer what pretty much the rest of the world does, which is insure the VEHICLE, then have a driver license that is validated regularly and then there are clauses on the car (i.e. its insured for over 25 users, or all users etc)

mboy
    Free Member

Amazingly I actually pay the same now for my insurance with 5+ NCB and being over 25 etc and in the lowest crime rate bracket and a low bracket car, as I did when I was 17 in a modified fiat living in a rough area in the North East etc. WTF!

I’m fast approaching 32, driving a car that’s unmodified and a lower insurance group than the hot hatch I had when I was 17 and I passed my test. I have just coming up to 3 years NCB.

My insurance is over £800 a year, 15 years ago at 17 driving a faster car my insurance was just over £700 a year…

Someone, somewhere, is having a laugh at our expense…

Anyway, have figured what I’ll do is just find the company that’s got the cheapest cancellation fee for insurance, get a 1 years policy off them (but only pay first installment), then when I cancel hopefully they’ll only charge £30 or something not the £127.50 my insurance company want!

martinxyz
    Free Member

I called up my insurers (adrian flux) after I was given a car. I asked for cover for 3 or 4 days and it cost around £40.

allyharp

£127.50 is a joke for cancelling a policy. Who’s the provider?

trail_rat
    Free Member

what are you all driving ?

my car was 200 quid to insure with 2 years ncb – 1.6 hyundai lantra at the time

moved to a van and was outraged to be quoted 600 quid

now its down to 260 with 4 years NCB

my Gfs golf is 220 with 2 years NCB

The land rover is 125 quid a year with 0 NCB on it on a classic car policy 😀

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Cheap temporary car insurance?’ is closed to new replies.