Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Cheap road disc brakes …
  • hardtailonly

Building up a SSCX bike, so *probably don’t need gears. Are there any road lever/disc brake sets that don’t have the gear gubbins, at a good price?

Or road brake levers only?

Any hydro options? Or are there really only cable disc?

Can I use MTB calipers and a suitable road brake lever?

*(If I’m forking out on hydros, anything on offer currently?)

Cheers

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

TRP Hylex used to be ~£200 for the set, proper hydraulic without gearing mechanism. These days, no idea how much they go for.

dovebiker

TRP Hylex is a drop-bar lever-only hydro brake

gecko76

Giant Conduct system works well. Bit ugly in the middle of the bars but you can choose whatever levers you want. Needs a specific stem mind.

johnw1984
    Free Member

I’m going for some JuinTech R1 from eBay and a set of TRP levers from Planet X for my Bootzipper.

They’re the hydraulic calipers (cable actuated). Should be fine for a single speed build.

Garry_Lager

There are loads of s/h 105 or ultegra STIs hydraulics on the market, you won’t notice the gear mechanism at the lever when riding. Good set of 10sp hydraulic levers prob get for 100quid if you’re patient, then buy the calipers new.

MTB or road caliper are fine, just need to be aware it’s an inline or banjo connection as it will need a different fitting on the line end.

cookeaa

Can I use MTB calipers and a suitable road brake lever?

Tektro RL520, for V-brake/MTB disc cable pull and drop bars, should be about £15-20ish.

hardtailonly

Tektro RL520, for V-brake/MTB disc cable pull and drop bars, should be about £15-20ish.

So these, plus a set of used BB7 road calipers, are probably the cheapest way into vaguely respectable (albeit cable) road disc brakes?

damascus
    Free Member

Try and pick some of these up on ebay etc. Best of both worlds ish

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/trp-hy-rd-caliper?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&sku=548958&kpid=548958&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Shopping+-+All+Products&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mckv|

Or fit some normal mtb levers and disc calipers which are much cheaper and buy some broken sti shifters cheap and remove the levers and just use them for the hood position.

fasthaggis

You should be able to use TRP HY-RDs with any type of lever/cable.

monkeyboyjc

I’ve trp hylex on two bike and they are excellent. Really nice deal on the hood’s for hydro road brakes too. They can be picked up for sub £150 a set of you search around a bit.

anagallis_arvensis

I have some juin tech calipers on my gravel bike, work really well, so much better than the trp sypred they replaced

martymac

I’ve used the tektro rl 520 levers, they’re pretty good, maybe not quite as comfy as 105/ultegra, but certainly no complaints about the way they work.

Northwind

fasthaggis

You should be able to use TRP HY-RDs with any type of lever/cable.

Yup, and tbh in use, you’d never guess that they’re not full hydro imo. Didn’t expect an awful lot from mine but they are excellent.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Cheap road disc brakes …’ is closed to new replies.