Cheap Rebuilable 'Plastic' Flat Pedal?

Home Forum Bike Forum Cheap Rebuilable 'Plastic' Flat Pedal?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Cheap Rebuilable 'Plastic' Flat Pedal?
  • plastic cheapness

should imagine parts are pretty basic / standard bearing sizes etc

Meh what kind of riding are they doing? Tow paths or proper MTB? If the latter they are going to hurt themselves more easily with plastic non-metal pin pedals….the lack of grip will lead to a crash.

Use light neoprene shinpads and proper pedals instead?

TuckerUK

Meh what kind of riding are they doing? Tow paths or proper MTB? If the latter they are going to hurt themselves more easily with plastic non-metal pin pedals….the lack of grip will lead to a crash.

From popping to the local shops to Morzine (or similar). Feedback is suggesting the pins on (e.g.) the Gates are plenty grippy (which might well mean as much leg damaged as my V8s, but if you don’t tell ’em I won’t!)

Unless I missed it, none of the pedals suggested so far mentioned being rebuildable.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Nukeproof Electron? I wasn’t impressed tbh, not a very good shape IMO but they should be as rebuildable as any other HT Nano-ish pedal and other folks get on with them better

TuckerUK

As per the title, anyone recommend any cheap rebuildable flat plastic pedals for the missus and youngest. I’m a DMR V8 man myself, but neither of them are keen on the inevitable shin and calf damage!

I’m liking the look of Fyxation’s Gates, but they don’t seem to be available from the UK, which adds shipping costs from the US into the equation.

Anything else I should know about?

Sorry but I question the sanity of using plastic pedals in Morzine and those gates with the toe clips. SPD’s let you out most of the time in a crash, those don’t. In the early days of MTB when I was kid I used those kinds of clips and nailed myself on a few occasions.

Morzine is very steep with lots of braking bumps, the only UK track that truly replicates Alpine in terms of steepness, length and lack of grip is Fort William and maybe a few others. I’ve been thrown off on more than one occasion by braking bumps ripping my feet off the pedals in Morzine.

Get them wrap around shin pads and proper pedals – get a pair of 5 quid plastics for commuting.

Also I haven’t smashed my shin since I moved to Spike Spanks from DMR’s. The ridiculous amount of grip, combined with the low profile (foot is much closer to the rotational point0 and pedals that don’t spin freely means it’s very very hard to get thrown off them.

Premier Icon nickjb
    Subscriber

Big range of plastic pedals here: http://www.unicycle.uk.com/unicycle-parts/pedals.html

As above, proper pedals and pads for proper biking. Put the plastics on for pootling about.

Premier Icon colournoise
    Subscriber

Proper pedals for proper riding?

IIRC Jedi is running plastic pedals at the moment?

Do they not have metal pins?

nukeproof do some plastic ones that are great

TuckerUK

but I question the sanity of using plastic pedals in Morzine and those gates with the toe clips.

No intention of using any foot retention system. I’m old skool. When I were a lad we bent our forks straight (so you’d catch the wheel if you cornered AND pedaled), we took the (side-pull) front brakes off to save weight, and ran a 16T cog on both side of the rear hub to add style and weight. We rode down 45% hills wearing just shorts in summer.

Also I haven’t smashed my shin since I moved to Spike Spanks from DMR’s. The ridiculous amount of grip, combined with the low profile (foot is much closer to the rotational point0 and pedals that don’t spin freely means it’s very very hard to get thrown off them.

For £85 do they come with a resident mechanic who services them? 😯

I’ve managed to find a UK dealer for the Fyxation’s Gates, although they don’t have all the colours in stock yet, £18.50

Here

Seriously don’t use those Gates in Morzine, consider that my last warning.

It will end in tears.

i wouldn’t use plastic pedals in Morzine. Your more likely to slip a pedal anyway or crack the pedal body on a rock unless they are maybe expense MTB specific plastic pedals. Just get some welgo V8 copies, or something like that and use shin pads in Morzine if you must, where’s there a good chance of slipping a pedal. If your on a strick budget these maybe be worth using maybe…

shin protectors maybe??

mikey74

My god those Fyxation things look lethal.

Spank Spikes are worth every penny IMO.

I do love it how people will spend a fortune on expensive handlebars, seatposts, stems etc, and yet want to scrimp and save on the one component that has more impact on your riding that any of those.

06awjudd

Nukeproof Electron’s here! I love them, at first the convex shape felt a little weird, but don’t notice it now.
    Grub screws are a good length, though it is difficult to know whether you are screwing them up tight, or actually screwing them into the plastic pedal body :/.
    Very lightweight.
    Easy to disassemble and grease.
    Very durable, and a very wide platform!
    Can’t go wrong at around £30 (or however much they are now!).
    I’d recommend loctiting the screws, as they are just held in by a nut underneath.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Cheap Rebuilable 'Plastic' Flat Pedal?’ is closed to new replies.