Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • cheap rear number plate for trailer board?
  • gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

anyone recomend anywhere cheap n’ cheerful for a rear plate for my trailer board? don’t really want to pay halfords prices if i can avoid it.

wwaswas

There’s a few places in Ireland that used to do them cheap, posted, with no proof of ownership.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Ebay

nickjb
    Free Member

EBay +1. Often sold as ‘show plates’ to get round the legality but the ones I’ve had have been proper

Speshpaul

some of your local diy or car parts places may sell sticky backed yellow vinyl retangles about the same size as a number plate, and they may also sell black stick on letters and numbers.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

ebay was my first call but there were so many results i gave up looking.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Good chance pauls idea will get you pulled

At least show plates look right. – some dont have the right markings though but you cant see that at 50mph.

poly
    Free Member

Trailers can get pulled by VOSA inspectors (well anybody can – but the shocking state of some trailers makes them all attract interest). A diligent / pernickety VOSA inspector will potentially spot that a “show plate” does not have the BS Kite Mark on it as required by law. Whilst I am sure many would ignore it if everything else is OK or at worst issue a rectification notice I did hear of someone getting fined for it – possibly having failed “the attitude test”.

molgrips
    Free Member

I had to get my caravan home from the vendor and I’d forgotten to bring the V5 so I managed to buy some stickers locally. I then forgot all about it (at least when I was in a position to fix it) and drove it quite a long way around the UK and Europe for 18 months!

trambler

[There only about a tenner from a decent car spares place, not worth the hassle of trying to make one and will stop you getting a £60 ticket.

stuarty
    Free Member

In my experience vosa inspectors are trained and also have the personality of the Gestapo..
    Id be more worried that the trailer lights work right

Normal police seem happy that the trailer number plate maches the car…..
    Vosa will do you for not having a number plate light on the trailer
    There mustard….

andyl
    Free Member

I got 2 rear plates from this place on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350813518821

(one for the trailer, one for the bike rack)

Better than the last lot I got from someone else and have the sellers details nice an discrete.

wwaswas

There mustard….

As are the grammar police on here.

Having said that, it’s been nearly 12 hours so not that hot.

stuarty
    Free Member

sood orf …wwaswas i can barely count never mind type good grandma..and bad speel checker… 🙂

mattsccm
    Free Member

Older vehicles have older specs.
    If your car is of an age that home made plates were legal then of course your trailer plates were made at the same time 😉
    They may not like it but as long as its to that spec its ok.

grey

Unless they’ve changed the regs in the last couple of months, you don’t need proof of ownership for a rear plate for a trailer as suprisingly it’s not a car :lol:.

milky1980
    Free Member

Had to buy a number plate for my new car to go on the bike cbarrier without the V5c, so got a standard style show plate. Police were even happy with it when I got checked a few days later (car was showing up as not registered). Got it from show plates, will change it when I get the V5c/can be bothered 😉

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘cheap rear number plate for trailer board?’ is closed to new replies.