Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • 'Cheap' Power meters
  • LoCo
    Free Member

As the title really, cheap (i know non are really cheap) power meter for pairing with a Garmin 800.

Any suggestions, happy with HRM (when it works!) and perceived effort ATM, but a meter would be one better 😀

mrblobby
    Free Member

There’s a massive power meter thread on here, worth checking out.

How much accuracy do you want? Road or mtb? How cheap is cheap? Do you want to be able to ride to power or just have some rough idea of how a ride looked?

Sam

It took a lot of patience and looking but I recently picked up a used but still in good shape Powertap G3 complete wheel for £250.

njee20
    Free Member

Not such a bargain when the torque tube fails in 6 months. I’d avoid Powertap hubs these days, although the latest price drops make them appealing.

Sam

Hadn’t heard of those sorts of issues. Know a couple of people who’ve been using them years without any problem. Is this a new thing? Confined to G3?

LoCo
    Free Member

Hmm, looking at them I think they’re still a bit too pricey atm. Cheers.

njee20
    Free Member

Hadn’t heard of those sorts of issues. Know a couple of people who’ve been using them years without any problem. Is this a new thing? Confined to G3?

It’s pretty widespread on the newer ones in general. Slightly flippant – obviously they don’t all fail, but it’s quite common.

andyfla
    Free Member

G3 failed after 18 months for me – was repaired free of charge and run very happily ever since (year or so ?)

DT78
    Free Member

I picked up both my stages units for around £350 in sales or with vouchers. Apart from battery life being 30hrs not 300 hrs they are good enough for me. My 105 version performed perfectly in Saturdays sportive in freezing pouring conditions. I’d like to have both legs tracked but it was too much of a step up in cost for me as a recreational rider who competes a bit

mrblobby
    Free Member

I got my PowerTap C1 for 420 quid. Measures total power too, not just one side. Needs. 5 arm 110 BCD crankset and doesn’t look that fancy, fine for the turbo bike though. Also first one went back as it was over-reading. Replacement seems fine. Does BLE and ANT+. Can’t really comment on battery life yet.

Kryton57

njee20 – Member
    It’s pretty widespread on the newer ones in general. Slightly flippant – obviously they don’t all fail, but it’s quite common.

The 2nd hand one I bought has been running fine ever since, just need 1 x battery change. 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

Haha! That was an older, less ropey one Kryton!

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I’ve got a Velocomp Powerpod which cost me under £200 new on the Kickstarter, I think they’re about £225ish now to buy direct.

It’s a more advanced opposing force type of power meter rather than the old school “how far does the metal bend” type 😉 so easy to swap onto different bikes etc etc and the software can do all kind of cool stuff inc analysing the effect new kit has on aerodynamics, tell you how fast you would have been if it hadn’t been windy, show you your braking points and when you were in the draft etc.

I only bought it because the technology sounded like magic so wanted to try it and see but DC Rainmaker seems to like them from his initial review, follow up comments and a video he posted up today. The full “get your geek on” review is due by the end of the month ish.

MSP

Awww I got a bit excited about the possibility of a power meter for not much over 200, then I checked it out and discovered it was a guesstimate device.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Yet it consistently seems to “guesstimate” within the margin of error of DFPMs… If it puts out the right numbers does it matter how it gets them?

whitestone
    Free Member

Define “cheap” in your terms. There’s no point in someone suggesting something at £400 if you are looking in the £200 range.

MSP

Yet it consistently seems to “guesstimate” within the margin of error of DFPMs… If it puts out the right numbers does it matter how it gets them?

I thought that was an odd review from rainmaker, when he did a couple of tests outside perfect parameters and the variance was outside an acceptable margin of error. Then he made the conclusion it was OK most of the time, I would have preferred he pushed the envelope further. Strangely lacking, he is usually better. Maybe he will do something more comprehensive later.

TiRed

How about Power ~ 2*Heart Rate – 80

It’s pretty close for my steady-state efforts.

I have Stages and a PowerCal. I’d be looking at P1 for the road now, because this really is the answer to easy to swap, accurate, robust, battery no issue, power measurement.

schmiken

I have a G2 PowerTap, a XT Stages G2 and some Rotor Powercranks (dual sided). They’re all good in their own ways, but I would go for crank based if I was buying new.

I like the Stages, but am aware that I generally ride 45/55% so the Stages slightly underreads (but it is consistent which is the key thing!).

Personally I’d buy a Rotor InPower if I was buying new.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

The full DCR Powerpod review is due 5 – 10 days apparently.

DanW
    Free Member

£400 is about the going rate for a decent, “cheap” single sided PM.

Personally I’d buy a Rotor InPower if I was buying new.

I’d go Rotor INpower too for cheap, single sided- especially for MTB. When I get my next PM (road) it’ll be P2M though despite the extra cost- it is great value for what it offers.

beej

I’ve got a P2M, and have just ordered another for the winter bike – £570 with FSA Gossamer crank. That’s cheap compared to the Rotor 3D+ based one I bought a year ago.

DT78
    Free Member

What are the rotor ones costing at the moment with rings and bb? I need to change to a road std crank by summer so maybe worth stumping up for a rotor.

IanMunro
    Free Member

It sort of matters when you use it on a turbo, or mountain bike 🙂

schmiken

800 including QRings.

DT78
    Free Member

ah not in my ‘cheap’ range 🙁

IvanDobski
    Free Member

DCR review of the Powerpod is in:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/03/powerpod-depth-review.html

Seems like my £190 odd quid was well spent. 😛

mooman
    Free Member

The power pod seems pretty good. Unfortunately it’s useless on a static trainer.

everyone
    Free Member

I’ve not read the review of that powerpod but presumably headwinds etc will have a massive effect on the readings?

leffeboy

I’ve not read the review of that powerpod but presumably headwinds etc will have a massive effect on the readings?

That’s why you want to read the review – it measures wind speed as well

palmer77
    Free Member

I’ve got a PowerTap PowerCal, which for the money (circa £80) currently serves my purposes.

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.PowerTap-Powercal-Strap-Bluetooth-_69212.htm?sku=211360&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=AdwordsProductAds&utm_campaign=Adwords&gclid=CP7agdOfuMsCFYZuGwodtKUPwA

The P1 pedals look good, but a bit ugly at the mo so I may wait a while until the next gen

everyone
    Free Member

That’s why you want to read the review – it measures wind speed as well

It’s almost like they thought about this stuff!

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘'Cheap' Power meters’ is closed to new replies.