Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Cheap nas or equivalent for serving music and doing backups
  • pedlad

So since my bt home hub Stopped playing nicely with my usb hdd ive not been able to serve my iTunes library to sonos.

Can anyone recommend a cheap solution that would plug into the home hub so to be visible over the network? Had a quick look but the full on nas plus drives seem dear.

nickjb
    Free Member

I’ve got a wd mybooklive. First one I had was a little problematic but was replaced it easily. Its been good since. Easy to connect to. Cheap too, not much more than a usb drive.

cranberry
    Free Member

Qnap 2 bay

You can take the drive out of your USB disk and fit that if the budget is tight (note that the drive will be formatted, so back the contents up first ) or ideally, fit a Western Digital Red drive.

pedlad

Thanks.
    That mybooklive is wireless only it seems. I was thinking that I’d be plugging it into a network port not he route rather than introduce another wireless stage as I can’t see that would help music playback quality/responsiveness?

29erKeith
    Free Member

I used to use a single disk buffalo nas link station but if got screwed by a power trip, I managed to recover everything including family photos thankfully it was about 8 years old to be fair. now I use a raided 2 disk buffalo Ls220 it was only £140 new, I think that’s relatively cheap

mtbtom
    Free Member

I have a WD My Cloud:

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=1140

It’s ok for my uses, but I’d find it hard to recommend. Some of the built in features for indexing content (images, music, videos) run in the background which really thrashes the disk and makes it run hot.

It’s a proper little Linux PC though, so if you don’t mind getting your hands dirty you can turn this stuff off. Is fine for me now, but you shouldn’t feel like you need to do that with a consumer friendly product like this.

nickjb
    Free Member

That mybooklive is wireless only it seems

mine isn’t. Its plugged into the router. Might be an old model now

wrecker
    Free Member

I have a mycloud. Drives me nuts, iTunes keeps losing my music. Says itunes compatible, but that’s not my experience.
    It is plugged into my router and sits on the network.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Cheap nas or equivalent for serving music and doing backups’ is closed to new replies.