Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Cheap, lightweight flat pedals?
  • jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Is it el plastique or are there any others I should consider before buying?

timber

Don’t know if they fulfill the lightweight criteria, but I put Nukeproofs plastic pedals on my last build because I don’t like the scrapey sound of metal pedals as you put the bike down. No different to the identical looking metal Superstar pedals on the other bikes. They don’t scratch up either, so still look good.

superleggero
    Free Member

I run a set of Wellgo MG1 pedals and I’m impressed with them. Being made of magnesium they are very light at 380g for the pair and good value at £28.99 on CRC. The plastic ones tend to be thinner and wider if that floats your boat.

onandon
    Free Member

Expedo spry pedals are great. I have a few pairs. eBay for 33 posted and are 250 grams a pair.
    They’re pretty robust too.

Mackem
    spawnofyorkshire

El plastique and nukeproof plastics have some differences but ultimately perform very similarly.
    Had mg1’s but wasn’t a massive fan of the shape of them, but that was a very personal thing as I gave them to a mate with smaller feet and they love them
    Running ss nano X now and loving them.
    Would also suggest shimano saints, very good pedal, I just found them a bit small for me as I have size 10’s abd move my feet around

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

I like a late flat pedal by the way.

RustySpanner

MG1’s are really light.
    Bit narrow and the bushing goes after a couple of years.

RSP Kustom sealed are a really nice shape, tough, cheap and rebuildable.
    Bearings, no bushings.
    Not light though.

I’ll try the Electrons that everyone on here recommended next time.

robertgray05
    Free Member

I got me some DMR V6s a few weeks back. Impressed given how little they cost!

gk74

Just gone with Nukeproof….cant fault so far, super grippy, and still in one piece after some very technical local descents.

FOG

I bought some Nukeproofs just to get a bike finished because they were cheap, thinking I would get some fancier ones when finance permitted. Two years later they are still there because they are fine!

P-Jay
    Free Member

On my 3rd set of Nukeproofs now, they always last a few years. You can rebuild them, but mine tend to die when the thread for the end caps goes.

Anyway, 2 set of electrons were great, got the newer Horizons now, wider but not as thin and they’re very good.

I’m completely sold on them, light, strong, cheap – genuinely I believe if pedal makers had started designing flats now, from the ground up and not decades ago they would all be plastic.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Brilliant, cheers as always everyone. Going to plump for the nukeproofs.

kayak23

I’ve used the El Plastique pedals for about a year now. They are really good. Nice and light, nice and cheap. I think the grip is good but I noticed that there was slightly less grip than the aluminium Nanos that I had before. Still seemed like enough though.
    More grip with my 5:10’s on than my Shimano shoes, but then as always, my 5:10’s fell apart and so I’m Shimano all the way now.

I’m a fan of plastic pedals though, but am going to try the Raceface Chester pedals next as they are a similar weight but have a better spread of pins as far as I can see.

Different pin configuration than the Nukeproof.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Cheap, lightweight flat pedals?’ is closed to new replies.