Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Cheap, lightish 2 man tent
  • anagallis_arvensis

By cheap I mean closer to £100 than £200. I am planning a trip with junior on the bikes to a wild camp in the Lakes this summer (I was last summer too but had a little accident, again!). It will be chucked in the cheap bob trailer copy so doesnt need to be crazy light or pack small. I guess as junior gets older it will be used more for such trips so dont want to buy a really cheap tent but dont want to spend a lot either. My old North Face has given 15 plus years of good service but the ground sheet is no longer water proof.
    Any tips hints or links aporeciated.

northernmatt

I have a Vango Banshee 200, it’ll be very snug for two so you might want to go for the 300 which is a few quid more. Not the lightest but like you say if it’s in the trailer it should be fine.

johnners
    Free Member

I’d recommend a Banshee as well, though IMO a 200 is pretty snug for one never mind 2 of you! Get the 300, the weight difference isn’t huge. They’re well made, fast to pitch (and can be done all-in-one), and can handle a fair bit of weather.

the ground sheet is no longer water proof

If you want to save a bit of cash you could always just cut a footprint from a cheap tarp off ebay.

anagallis_arvensis

Sounds good. Vango make decent stuff.

anagallis_arvensis

Price looks good too

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Came time to replace our tent after many years hard service , and I did demo a Banshee at GoOutdoors but immediately went back to the Halo as the Banshee felt dark and cramped by comparison. So I’d lways recommend Vango Halo 200 for that much dosh and for your requirements. Self-supporting dome structure, all-in-one pitch possible, separate stowage porches, superbly adaptable venting options with the 2 separate exits that also make it more than ideal for two IME. You can also use the fly and poles on their own for bivvy-type backpacking/backpacking or just a shelter. It’s a well thought-out, versatile setup and very reassuring in near-gales. Decent head-room helps loads.

This similar thread a few weeks back was similar, so quite a few suggestions:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/spacious-light-2man-tent-under-200

If you can go to £150 then the Halo 300 is a great price for an ideal low-level basecamp that should last years (mine did, even in heavy weather)

matt_outandabout

MSR Elixir has been on sale sub £200, and for me it is a cracking tent, surprisingly big for the pack/weight.
    Elixir

I like Vaude tents – they seem robust and long lasting, slowly refined. They do need some fussy pitching in wet weather at the foot end. Three man for space, two for snug and lighter…
    https://www.trekkinn.com/outdoor-mountain/vaude-taurus-3p/56766/p
    http://www.uttings.co.uk/p124867-vaude-taurus-2p-tent-terracotta-11498-170/

I find the Banshee’s just too small, especially if weather is wet. For me you can go up a few hundred grammes and get much more space… I am also a fan of how cheap Vango tents are. Not perfect, but bang for buck not a lot comes close. I have (ab)used so many Vango’s over the years – we have probably worn out over a hundred tents – and they still surprise me how much teenage DofE use they take. I taped all the fly’s of the current batch as they have some holes and nicks, but they still work, even in this years properly wet and windy Silver trips.
    http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/vango-nova-200-tent-p400713

matt_outandabout

If you can go to £150 then the Halo 300 is a great price for an ideal low-level basecamp that should last years (mine did, even in heavy weather)

This I agree with. The nearly 4kg of the tent less so… Again though, I have used many and Halo’s are brilliant for space and paddling trips.

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

I have just bought a Vango Ark 300+, last years model for £90 and the 2 man is £80. Have put it up and seems good quality with a good porch area and headroom. Bit heavy but I won’t be bikepacking with it.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

This I agree with. The nearly 4kg of the tent less so… Again though, I have used many and Halo’s are brilliant for space and paddling trips.

Yes it’s some heft, but the payoff is massive. Recommend splitting the carry/pack between occupants. Stronger person does the poles and inner, smaller person takes the fly and pegs. Or mix and match some other way to suit. Just use an old tent bag or similar. It is a spacious, sturdy and very livable tent. Probably the only remotely carryable tent where I’ve been ‘trapped’ for days in the beautiful English and Welsh downpours yet stayed put and enjoyed reading, cooking (always try and use the down-wind porch) and just chilling. It’s a nice place to be, especially if you like the orange colour of the inner 😉

km79
    Free Member

I used and abused a Vango Tempest 200 for about 8 years and the thing was near indestructible. At the time I much prefered the extra space and layout over the Banshee 200 and IIRC it was only a bit heavier. I have had a Wild Country Zephyros 2 now for the past few years and although it’s a fair bit lighter and packs smaller I think the Tempest was a better allround tent.

alfminator
    Free Member

If you are interested I have a Vaude Terratrio 3P that I have been meaning to put up for sale.

We used it for a 2 week holiday in Patagonia and we chose it because it is reasonably light at 2.8 kg but built to stand wet weather and strong winds. It worked flawlessly and being a small 3 person tent is roomy for 2 people.

The tent is practically as new, but the bag that holds the poles has a few small holes from strapping it to the handlebars.

If you are interested I can send you some pics. Looking for £120 delivered.

Cheers

Cougar

This similar thread a few weeks back was similar, so quite a few suggestions:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/spacious-light-2man-tent-under-200

Beat me to it. Also slightly less relevant but last week,
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/recommend-me-a-bikepacking-tent-please

johnners
    Free Member

As a 200 owner I agree with all the above reservations about space in the Vango Banshee, it’s really just for lying down in. The Halo might be a better idea on reflection, I do tend to use my similar Typhoon 200 if I’m car camping and expecting to pitch in the dry. It’s a lot more spacious with way better porch space but on the downside it’s quite a bit heavier and bulkier plus it can be a right arse to get the poles in and I wouldn’t be wanting to wrestle with it in wind and rain!

Hoff

As a ‘”Basecamp” set up I use a Vango Tempest 200 with a Vango Adventure Tarp over the front which gives loads of additional room for storing kit & cooking under.

I also use a Zephyros 1 if I’m walking, I think the 2 man is the same design with only one entrance which might be a bit of a pain for getting in & out of if there are 2 of you.

anagallis_arvensis

thanks for the ideas

Philby

Halo 200 is a great tent – easy to erect (don’t need to erect the inner and outer separately) and spacious. Suggest also getting the footprint for it as well.

rhid

I 3rd the Banshee 300. I got one in cotswolds recently for £130. Much better that the Vango Alpha (I think) it replaced. If you want a free Vango Alpha tent let me know!

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I’m glad I got the Pulsar over the banshee as it’s got a good bit more room. 3.5kg and it’s definitely compact and light enough for shortish backpack and bike trips.

CraigW
    Free Member

I recently got an Alpkit Tetri, £135.
    I like it so far. I’ve only used it on my own, plenty of space anyway, and sturdy enough. No problem with a bit of rain. It is outer-first pitching. About 3kg, so not exactly lightweight, but should be fine in a trailer. I can fit it along the top of my pannier rack.

Or look at the Alpkit Viso, should be more spacious, bigger porch, but a bit heavier.

themilo
    Free Member

Rhid! Planning on an exploratory wild camp with my daughter this summer. She may hate it so don’t really want t buy a small tent if it’s not going to be used again. If you’re serious about offloading the Vango I’d be more than happy to take it off your hands!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Cheap, lightish 2 man tent’ is closed to new replies.