• This topic has 23 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by P20.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Cheap light for road/gravel riding?
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

Going to get the other half a light for occasional road and gravel rides at night. Recently bought myself a exposure strada, which is ok (solid construction but run time a bit short and not really all that bright for gravel rides), but I’m definitely not going to be spending best part of 250 quid on one for her given it’ll be used infrequently

I’m looking at a budget of around half that. How does the Raveman pr 1600 compare? The other ones I’ve seen are the lifeline jobs at crc. They look reasonably cheap but mixed reviews.

Anything else to consider? I’d prefer one piece rather than external battery given she doesn’t really need 3 million lumens, and I’d prefer it to not burn down her house when she charges it up

wheeliedirty
    Free Member
    mattsccm
    Free Member

Halfords. Even their 1000 lumen thng is fine.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    p7eaven
    Free Member

Ravemen’s great. I run a PR900 for road and a bit of gravel at the upper end so you could save yourself a few quid and buy a PR1200 rather than a 1600 if your night gravel rides are not too gnarly. In fact I get by just fine with light to spare on the 900, so I’d be delighted with 1200 around £70

As well as the two emitters/beam-patterns to choose from (road/dipped + MTB) in the same unit you also get a long battery life and a USB power bank function.

Add to that the LED meter (showing approx battery hours remaining)and all in all it’s a great unit IME.

I dropped my bike last year and it (Ravemen) survived a heavy smack (direct hit onto tarmac) with just a tiny dent in the alloy around the lens, the whole body is metal also. It’s extremely well-built.

The remote button (I use mounted near my thumb) is brilliant. If your path is getting sketchy then it not only cycles modes but also switches to ‘turbo’ by holding down. Useful also to signal/warn other road users.

I got mine from Tredz on offer last year but now they do a price match

keithb

Also I’d recommend getting an STVZO compliant front light for the road so you don’t blind oncoming car drivers, and makes you as close to “legal” as you can get.  They’re surprisingly effective on the road for their relatively low output.

joat

The Ravemen’s are good, do need angling down a little on the road though in spite of its diffused beam. This can be a bit of a problem if it’s tight enough to stop it rattling down on rougher terrain (it’s a bit nose-heavy) . Not a big issue unless you’re caning it and need to see a long way ahead though.

keithb

Something like a sigma aura or B&M ixon or eyro should do the trick. I also run an STVZO rear light for good measure.

p7eaven
    Free Member

Something like a sigma aura

Nearly went for one of those but couldn’t find any useful reviews at the time, they certainly look the biz for road but I’d like to know how they also fair gravel-side of things

keithb

I’d imagine the STVZO lights wouldn’t generally be too great on anything you need to pick a line in, they don’t have any spread wider than a couple of metres really.  Look here for a range, upto the bonkers lupine one!

https://www.cyclingnews.com/features/best-stvzo-bike-lights/

Edit for typo

joat

Also I’d recommend getting an STVZO compliant front light for the road

I’ve just bought a b+m one to go alongside my Ravemen. Having struggled home with a failing Knog Blinder when my Ravemen suddenly lost all power (the predicted runtime was wrong on its first outing after summer), I thought I’d try one as a road-friendly backup.

tenfoot

I have a 1200lm Ravemen. Pleased with it,
    although the bracket isn’t great.

tenfoot

I’ve just bought a b+m one to go alongside my Ravemen

I have a B+M but I stupidly dropped it, and now it won’t stay shut. I taped it up but I still need to get inside to swap the batteries over when they need charging.

TLDR: Don’t drop it, because the construction (on mine at least) is a bit flimsy.

TiRed

Cateye Ampp 1100? A lot of lumens for £60 and they’ve now gone back to their original bracket that has always been great, rather than the rubber things that were, well, rubbish.

I’m still using one of their front lights from ten years ago with the same bracket.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Just bought a raveman 1600 for less than 100 quid. Looks to come with a far better remote than my exposure. If it ends up being a better light I’ll be a bit aggrieved!

cookeaa

Bikehut 1000, does the job just keep the receipt in case.

p7eaven
    Free Member

although the bracket isn’t great.

For some reason can’t remember I have two different style brackets for mine. The one with a thumbwheel-tighten, and one with just an allen-bolt (below)

This clamp is the better of the two, IME. In my experiments with either one success seems almost entirely dependent on installing the shiny black rubber strip correctly inside of the clamp. I manage a good solid grip on the bar, but agree the bracket itself could be better (and directional)

Ended up mounting the thumbscrew clamp on a fork-crown bracket. It works but find that I need to retighten from time to time when the ambient temperature changes drastically 🥶🥵

I thought about changing it to an Exposure bracket by bodging an Exposure cleat on to the underside of the unit. It’s easy to remove the stock cleat from the PR series (two small allen screws iirc) so don’t see it being too much of a major DIY to fit an alternative of choice? Warranty-voiding tho it may be.

For road and light gravel it seems functional as supplied tho, tbh. I’ve used much worse.

intheborders
    Free Member

First time she rides with you will be the last time she uses the cheap light.

You’ll then be buy yourself another Exposure.

Mackem

Alpkit?
    Bike Lights

I have an old Hadron and it’s been good for 2 years. But tempted by new one as everything is in the body, good range of lights, decent price and assume a proper warranty.

benman
    Free Member

I’ve got a couple of the Moon Meteor Storm Pro’s used across a few bikes. Oldest one is on its 3rd winter now, used twice weekly. Think they around 1600 lumens on full, and will do 2 hours on a mid setting, with still 50% battery remaining.

Can usually pick them up for £50-70

lardman
    Free Member

I’m also using a Moon Meteor storm Pro.

Great output and at lower light levels there’s plenty of battery. The clamp is also very secure.

Wouldn’t really be good enough for solo off road excursions, but road/gravel… great

£70 notes in the constant sales.

kraken2345
    Free Member

I’ve just picked up a ravemen pr1200 and really like it. The road mode is great and I use it for that frequently, I also use the mtb mode for night rides in Delamere forest and it’s plenty bright enough.

s1m0n
    Free Member

I use The Planet X Strix – cost me about £15 a year ago. Does a good job on the gravel routes on my commute. Definitely value for money.
    Still use a Hope Vision One which must be at least 15 years old on another bike.

P20

Raveman 1200 works well on the commute. Only using at bimble speeds, but beam pattern is good. The high beam throws a decent amount of light down the road if speeds pick up. The remote scrolls through the levels, would have been better if it switched between high beam and dipped

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Cheap light for road/gravel riding?’ is closed to new replies.