Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • cheap laptop for zwift
  • karnali
    Free Member

Looking to get a cheap laptop for use with zwift mainly I know very little about them but looking at refurbished ones

will

http://www.cheaplaptopcompany.co.uk/all-laptops/refurbished-dell-e6220-windows7-4gb?sort=p.price&order=ASC

do the job? other suggestions more than welcome, cheaper the better as it will just sit in garage most of its life.

ta

nemesis
    Free Member

Apple tv is cheaper than that iirc and works well by all accounts

nemesis
    Free Member
    GolfChick
    Free Member

Why not think about picking up an iPad too? Cheaper than probably a laptop that’s capable of supporting it and you can connect it up to a TV easy enough for a bigger screen.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

do the job? other suggestions more than welcome, cheaper the better as it will just sit in garage most of its lif

Doesn’t specify the processor generation which is MUCH more important than the iNumber bit these days a google suggests it’s 5th gen dual core so not that sprightly but might scrape the lower end.

PITA them and sufferfest won’t do android

mooman
    Free Member

I use Apple 4K TV set up. Apparently it uses the same processor etc as Apples top of range lap top .. so it runs Zwift faultlessly.

easy set up to big TV too.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I use Apple 4K TV set up. Apparently it uses the same processor etc as Apples top of range lap top

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_A10X

Just the Ipads, the laptops run standard intel processors like half the laptops in the world

fooman

Having struggled getting Zwift working well on a cheap PC I’m thinking of just getting an Apple TV this winter. According to Apple the 4K TV does use the A10X though Zwift will also work on the cheaper 4th gen A8 version.

The-milkybar-kid
    Free Member

Last winter I just got a 2nd hand iPad mini2 £90 and a special cable to plug into the tv £10 worked perfect

mikewsmith
    Free Member

https://support.zwift.com/en_us/what-are-the-minimum-device-requirements-for-zwift–S1C6I6OB7

It apparently works on an iphone 5 so no idea where they are pulling the minimum specs from!!

bigwatts
    Free Member

Just get an Apple TV. They work perfectly and much better than even a decent laptop. I bought the 4K one for the turbo in the garage as I cba to mess around with a laptop. I believe the graphics may be slightly better on a top end laptop but if your doing proper intervals/training you won’t care.

karnali
    Free Member

never used apple stuff before, if I get an second hand ipad will this have usb for the ant+ dongle and same question re apple tv, the laptop option would give us a second laptop for the kids for school work as well, also looking at a Lenovo x230 thinkpad

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-Thinkpad-X230-Laptop-i5-3rd-gen-8GB-RAM-Windows-10-Pro-MS-office/253917194622?hash=item3b1ea4e97e:g:~TIAAOSwbAJbmNF3:rk:8:pf:0

ta

mos

Can you run 2 screens from an Apple TV with different things on?

When i’m doing the training sessions where it sets the wattage on a smart i find zwift to be a lot less immersive, so it helps to be watching something on youtube at the same time.

fooman

Just a thought could you use an iPad and Chromecast (or similar) to get Zwift on a big screen?

trailwagger
    Free Member

I ran zwift with no issue on a Surface 3. Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, 2GB ram integrated graphics. I don’t get all these people saying you need monster pc`s with dedicated graphics etc.

zilog6128

never used apple stuff before, if I get an second hand ipad will this have usb for the ant+ dongle and same question re Apple TV

no, with apple stuff you connect to Zwift using bluetooth, which is by far the best way of doing it. You don’t (can’t?) use an ANT+ dongle. Obviously you need a (smart) trainer that connects by bluetooth not just ANT+!

zilog6128

I ran zwift with no issue on a Surface 3. Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, 2GB ram integrated graphics. I don’t get all these people saying you need monster pc`s with dedicated graphics etc.

Probably talking about running it in 4k. The min spec requirements otherwise are pretty low, as you say.

Can you run 2 screens from an Apple TV with different things on?

sadly not!

Just a thought could you use an iPad and Chromecast (or similar) to get Zwift on a big screen?

You can use an Apple TV to mirror the iPad to a telly 😀

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘cheap laptop for zwift’ is closed to new replies.