Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Cheap Hayes Stroker Trail brakes
  • mrjmt
    Free Member

From Germany, £25 ish

I like these brakes, have them on my full sus as does the wife.

Currently building up a sanderson breath for XC, was after some stroker trails as I’m familiar with them, they bleed easily and i’ve got loads of pads for them!

The link is for a front brake, they only have fronts in but the levers are flip-flop so you can run a front as a rear if you extend the hose – there’s cheap clarks hose kits (£20) on chain reaction at the moment.

Just had an email, mine have been dispatched now so thought i’d post this up incase anyone is looking!

sharkbait
    Free Member

Nice one…. do they look ‘right’ if you flip the front brake over to use on the rear (i.e. do they have the same printing on both sides)?
    Also what’s the shipping cost from there?
    oh yeah…. as standard do they fit 180 rotors or is it 160?

BoardinBob

they bleed easily

4 realz?

Worst brakes I’ve ever had to bleed.

lucien

+1 for Bob – nightmare, in practice easy to set up a bleed – just doesn’t work

mrjmt
    Free Member

Piece of pee to bleed, not sure how you could have difficulty to be honest! I use a large syringe instead of the hayes squeezy bottle, then just some hose into an old water bottle on the reservoir end as per the hayes instructions. Push-pull till all bubbles gone. By far easier than Avids and a solid lever every time.

Yes the levers look right both ways, there’s also a bleed port on both sides as they’re designed to be flipped over.

they dont come with mounts so they’ll fit 160mm PM straight, otherwise you’ll need a mount for 180mm PM or IS.

Shipping works out a about a fiver ish. I think they may have some decent prices on the shimano rotors too if you’re paying shipping anyway, didnt look that closely though as i’ve already got rotors.

FuzzyWuzzy

+1 on never being able to get a good bleed on them despite trying various size bottles/syringes. I am crap at that sort of thing though so it might just be me :p

omaknees
    Free Member

Hey, many thanks for letting us know.
    Just ordered another 2.
    Great brakes – have 3 sets already within the family.
    Easy to bleed just as mrjnt says – sometimes you have to wiggle the lever a bit to get the last bits af air out.
    Cheers
    Mike

mrjmt
    Free Member

Just noticed they also have the 6″ rotors for a tenner ish here. Prob worth it if you’re paying shipping anyway. 😀

innit_gareth
    Free Member

Brakes OK but try changing the pads trailside with freezing cold fingers. That retention clip is an utter pain.

I’ll be buying another set of XT’s soon.

mrjmt
    Free Member

These arrived yesterday, very very pleased with them.

As stated in the ad, they didn’t come with rotors or mounts. CRC have the mount bolts and plastic spacer washer things in though.

I was very happy to see that they did come with pads in though!

They look very nice in black too, much nicer than my other grey/gunmetal coloured ones. 8)

Just waiting for some hoses now and will get them sorted. 😀

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’ve a set on my xc full susser, I’ve not had to bleed them yet but they’re really quite powerful and the lever feel is good. Mine are a natty white colour – they were originally shipped new on my Marin Wolf Ridge but I swapped them for Hope M4s. For twenty five sniffs they’re an absolute steal.

ransos
    Free Member

I’ve got the stroker carbons on my bike – I think they’re the same save for a carbon lever. Very powerful and very easy to bleed – just squeeze the bottle until you stop getting bubbles in the tube.

jools182
    Free Member

These were the most hassle free brakes I’ve owned

Had Hope M4’s, Avid Elixir CR, and Formula the ones since and they’ve all been a PITA

sharkbait
    Free Member

Mine arrived this morning 🙂 Do I need to use Hayes adapters for my IS forks and frame or will Shimano ones do?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Cheap Hayes Stroker Trail brakes’ is closed to new replies.