Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Cheap, generally reliable supermini suggestions please…
  • professor_fate
    Free Member

Just had my driving licence reinstated and looking for real-world experiences from the hive.
    Currently thinking i’m needing a cheap (£1k limit), petrol supermini that’ll cruise easily enough at motorway speeds and be generally durable. Something along the lines of a Fiesta/Polo/Jazz/Panda etc with euro4
    compliance etc. Not bothered about running costs per se just something i can ferry a bike in/on around the uk.

duncancallum

Jazz yaris polo any of them.

Mechanically all really strong

colournoise

Pug 107/Citroen C1/Toyota Aygo.

Silly, fun little things with a revvy little 3 pot 1 litre engine. With the rear seats folded will take at least 2 long bikes with the wheels off.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    matt_outandabout

Yaris.

Ours was 13 years / 130k and cost nothing but one wheel bearing and an alternator in all that time.

Family still have one at 16 years and 100k, nothing needed apart from routine servicing.

Failing that, old model Micra maybe gen 1 Jazz.

hols2
    Free Member

I had a Jazz for years and years. Amazing amount of space for such a small vehicle. It eventually got too expensive to be worth fixing so now I have a Yaris. I’d recommend either, but the Jazz has more space if that’s what matters.

TiRed

Twingo

kerley
    Free Member

Pug 107/Citroen C1/Toyota Aygo.

Silly, fun little things with a revvy little 3 pot 1 litre engine.

Agree, I like them. I have 2. First one is 8 years old and covered 90,000 miles with maintenance costs in that time costing under £300.

However, don’t think they are a supermini as they are the next size down.

professor_fate
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies so far folks, it’s exactly what i’m needing.
    Love the pic Colournoise – i’m amazed they fitted!
    Gen1 Jazz Magic Seats – do they fold flat or remove by unclipping them as my Roomster ones did?

…just checked out the Yaris link – “canoe in a yaris” LOL ;0)

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I was lent a 107 whilst my Focus was in for some work. Initially I thought xxxk me what’s that! Then after driving it for a while I realised it’s an amazing little car, sips petrol, drives really nicely, good equipment level and so on. The only time you realise how small it is is when you turn round and realise you can touch the back window from the drivers seat!
    I’m serious thinking about getting one for work as my diesel isn’t suited to the short journeys I’m now doing.
    Automatics (I’d prefer an auto) are rare sadly and a fair bit more money than manuals.

anagallis_arvensis

We’ve had excellent service from various Fabia’s. Super reliable, super ugly lots of room.

bsims
    Free Member

Yaris sr 1.8. Five speed box so less gear changing round town and good on the motorway, can easily keep up in the outside lane and when changing lanes.

nostrils
    Free Member

Suzuki SX-4 would be a good choice.

hols2
    Free Member

Gen1 Jazz Magic Seats – do they fold flat or remove by unclipping them as my Roomster ones did?

They just fold flat. They’re not actually magic, just really well engineered.

doomanic

The wife has a 61-plate Clio 1.2 that she’s owned from new. Never missed a beat in that time and has returned 41mpg over it’s life so far, which is 95% journeys under 10 miles, with half of them going up a bloody steep hill. And down it for the other half.

dovebiker

If you want to carry bikes – Toyota Yaris Verso – just replaced a 100k 2000 one with a 2004 – ugly as sin but incredibly practical. Still see lots of around because they’re pretty bomb proof.

woody2000

K12 Micra 160sr.  Surprisingly large inside, will survive the apocalypse 🙂

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201909292743118?atmobcid=soc3

CountZero

The C1/Aygo/107 siblings are great fun, once you get used to the engine noise, I particularly like the auto versions, because they’re easier around town, (I have a shonky left knee, stiff clutches are a nightmare), but the paddles allow a bit of fun to be had on open roads.
    The Hyundai i10 is a rev-hungry little beast that drives well and is comfy enough for reasonable distances on motorways.
    The VAG minis, the Up!/Citigo/Mii are all very capable, and surprisingly nippy, bringing a two year old Citigo back from Cornwall, and running a bit late, I overtook a Discovery 4 on the M5 at 105mph, according to my satnav!
    Not that I’m advocating such irresponsible behaviour, but they’re more than capable of keeping up with traffic without straining.
    Kia Vengas are similar to the Hyundai, but they do seem to have a battery issue if left standing for a while – the battery can go flat, and it’s seemingly moe common with the Venga. We get quite a few of them at work, and if I have to go and move one from storage, it’s a toss-up if it’ll start. This may not be an issue at all with a car that’s in daily usage, however; our cars may often be parked up for days, sometimes weeks before being sold and taken away, end even bigger cars have issues long-term.

colournoise

professor_fate
    Love the pic Colournoise – i’m amazed they fitted!

TBH, two bikes fit quite easily. plenty of space left for kit bags, etc. Only slight issue is the bars need to slot between the front seats.

Having said that, I am a short arse so the front seats are a fair way forward. A driver/rider of more average stature might find it a tighter fit…

Still, a fun little car to drive, and factory 50kg limit roof bars are available, so that’s an option too.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Cheap, generally reliable supermini suggestions please…’ is closed to new replies.