Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Cheap (er) car insurance…
  • toxicsoks
    Free Member

…for eldest, 26. She has a clean licence, a years no claims but is being quoted over £1.5k for a Mk6 diesel Fiesta. Seems well over the top, to me. Any ideas where to go for something under £1k?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

compare the market or similar.

thomthumb
    Free Member

try a broker.

try something that 26 yr olds don’t crash, (ie not a fiesta).

toxicsoks
    Free Member

compare the market or similar.
    That was the starting point…

trail_rat
    Free Member

That is mental pricing. Does she live in bosnia ?

We are 27 and could insure stupid cars for around 1k – mitsi evo terretory.

As it is we have a small slow van and an old 4×4 that cost us 600 total to insure.

Not sure what that fiesta has that would cost so much to insure. Popular commuting car i guess so likely invoced jn alot of prangs

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Adrian Flux

bearnecessities

I switch each year between Aviva & Direct Line – they they don’t whore themselves out to the comparison sites and yet are consistently cheaper (for me anyhow, and I’m a different demographic).

If you get your quotes through a cashback sites, you can usually get a nice amount from them as well.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

It does sound dear. Im 2 years older and my insurance is about £400 a year I think. Got about 4 years NCB though. I’m with Bell, you could give them a ring and see if they can do you a better quote.

Also, Tesco could be a worth a shot, dont tyhink they are included on the comparison sites.

toxicsoks
    Free Member

😳 ………………forgot to mention, she’s doing a PhD in, erm, Liverpool

banks
    Free Member

I’m with Tesco – 2 years ncb & 6 points! But I don’t drive a too popular car, we do see a lot of crashed fiestas if it helps.

matt_outandabout

We found ” left field” cars cheaper than (what are seen as) boy racer cars. Get it in a garage or drive. Any ncb?

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Tesco…..OVER £5K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No, really. 😯

enigmas
    Free Member

Don’t put your occupation as a student!

I couldn’t get a quote below 1.5k (18, 1 years no claims, 1.6 focus), changed my occupation to civil servant(apprentice with them, but spend most my time at college), Then i got a quote for £900 fully comped from hastings!

So if she has any side jobs i’d recommend putting them in instead!

engineeringcowboy
    Free Member

endsliegh insurance is usually quite cheap

MoreCashThanDash

Wrong occupation and location!

But don’t lie about being a student, lying to insurers opens a whole world of pain…..

gmex619
    Free Member

Got too agree here..

I’m 20, 3 years NCB and 1 year of full licence. Driving a 2.5 Petrol V6 Jaguar and my insurance is 1.6k Fully comp with all the extras included. No other named drivers or anything. 15,000 miles a year SDPC and 90 days european cover.

njee20
    Free Member

Why only one year NCD? Did she have a big at fault previously?

sbob
    Free Member

matt_outandabout – Member

We found ” left field” cars cheaper than (what are seen as) boy racer cars.

I knew a chap (teenager) that ended up running a Renault Grand Espace as it was all he could afford to insure.
    If young people haven’t crashed them, then the insurance will be cheaper.
    My old man’s Jag was ludicrously cheap to insure for that very reason.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Try all the comparisons, play with the excess, try the ones not on the comparison sites. Look at milage done and where it’s kept. Apart from that it’s Liverpool….

banks
    Free Member

It was cheaper for me to insure a silver shadow than a 0.9l fiat go cart thing

Sandwich

Multi Car insurance with Mrs Socks on the list as a named driver of Ms Socks car. Less than 1k for the 18yo Sandwich Jr when he went solo, car currently in Bristol for his use with insurance company knowledge for another£60-ish. Helps that Junior is on the electoral roll at our house as he still nominally lives with us, holidays and study weeks.

br
    Free Member

look at comp with a large excess plus add someone old on (who has a car) as a named driver

toxicsoks
    Free Member

njee20 – Member

Spent the last 2.5yrs in Africa as a research scientist.

john_drummer
    Free Member

don’t be so judgmental.
    at 26 I didn’t have any NCD. I’d only passed my test the year before & didn’t actually buy my first car until a year after I passed. Inner city Bradford & my first year was £350 on a £500 Renault 5. Mind, that was in 1992…

anyway – try Hastings Direct

nealglover
    Free Member

Don’t put your occupation as a student!

What if you are student ?

Lie ? To an insurance company. Not the brightest move really is it

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

look at comp with a large excess plus add someone old on (who has a car) as a named driver

+1, my parents save me 30% on my insurance by being named drivers, and they’ve never driven my car!

What if you are student ?

Lie ? To an insurance company. Not the brightest move really is it

Who said lie? Bar work, waitress, tutor, etc are all occupations.

MoreCashThanDash

If the bulk of your time is spent being a student, your main occupation is a student. As I and others have pointed out, lying to your insurer will generate a whole world of pain at exactly the time you don’t want or need it.

After the stupid gender ruling, occupation is a key variable insurers can still use. In fact, that gender ruling will have added to that premium quite a bit.

Plenty of legitimate options suggested above.

alaric

Not an overnight solution, but try joining the Institute of advanced motorists. It means passing an advanced test and an annual membership – but once you’re in their insurance deals are excellent!

project
    Free Member

Why not get a pensioner to insure the car with you as a named driver, really cheaper then.

Then when you make a claim theyll refuse to pay out,as youve lied to them,because theyll soon work out youre the only driver or majority driver and if the car is on HP youll also need to keep making the payments for a pile of scrap,also try getting insurance again after commiting fraud.

bigbloke
    Free Member

Why does it matter what your occupation is anyway for car insurance?. Can’t understand the need for it in my opinion.

project
    Free Member

certain jobs or skills earn a lot of cash, so have a crash and there is the loss of earnings to factor into the insurance costs.

MoreCashThanDash

Also, certain jobs might mean different types of passengers. Makes no odds if you break my leg and my illustrious career as a civil servant is over, but if you – and I – were deep sea divers or pro footballers, that’s a whole different level of loss of earnings

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Cheap (er) car insurance…’ is closed to new replies.