Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Cheap eBay SRAM dub preload adjuster
  • tabletop2
    Free Member

I’ve cracked the rubbish preload adjuster on my SRAM cranks. To be honest had only trouble from these cranks but don’t really want to spend on a new set of Shimano and these came with the bike.

They are £7 for a new one but there are also some cheap metal ones on eBay for that price. Has anyone tried them? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Crank-Crank-Adjuster-For-SRAM-Dub-28-99mm-Preload-Preloader-With-Washer-/313694378934?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

I’ve seen people recommend the cane creek ones but at £30 are quite spendy for some NX cranks

onecheshirecat
    Free Member

£22 at swinnerton cycles if that helps. I know its an extra £15 but i trust the eewings ones over the knock offs.

endomick
    Free Member

All the cheap as chips china cnc stuff I’ve bought has been good and fully functional quality 7075/ 6061 alloy, it’s not a critical high load part so I can’t see it going wrong, well worth a punt at that price.

Yak

Cut your losses now and get a new deore crankset to replace it. Probably all in with a bb for c£80 so that’s only 2 and a bit replacement dub bbs worth of payback time. (about 1 year).

thepurist

I’ve cracked my original SRAM one, the replacement had 2 bolts rather than one and seemed a little more resilient to hamfisted mechanics than the single bolt version. I’ve been giving it some attention recently as it seemed to be coming loose every few rides, then I got creaking so decided the BB was on the way out, then got my mega-hex-key out to battle with the torque on the crank bolt only to find that it was barely finger tight… turns out the preload and BB are still fine, and mega-hex-key has retorqued the crank bolt to the precise value of “as tight as I can get it”.

tabletop2
    Free Member

It is a rubbish system so I am tempted by the deore crank. Can’t work out if it has 30mm axles, then I can use the hope bb I bought (with convertor) to replace the rubbish dub bottom bracket.

Yak

No shimano is 24mm. Tbh you have already dealt with the worst part* of the dub system by changing to a better bb, so maybe stick as you are with the addition of a better preload ring.
    *The 2nd worst bit is the mega torque needed to get the cranks off.

bri-72

I’ve got a new unused official SRAM one. Can’t mind what it cost but would sell for less clearly.
    Bought as thought I’d broke previous but never actually use it. Still in packaging.

tabletop2
    Free Member

Thanks! Think I’m going to bite the bullet and buy a fancy metal one though. Surely nothing more can fail after I’ve replaced the bottom bracket and preload adjuster!

sharkattack

My new bike came fitted with my first Dub crankset. I didn’t like the look of that flimsy plastic adjuster.

Nice to know what the other options are for when it inevitably blows up.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Cheap eBay SRAM dub preload adjuster’ is closed to new replies.