Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Cheap coffee grinder needed
  • DrJ

Our coffee grinder just conked out after a year of use. Amazon are refunding me in full (yay!!) so I’m looking to buy a new one.The offending item is a rather nice looking Bodum model, cost about 50 quid. Before that I had a Krupps of similar price range that also conked out. Maybe there is a pattern here …

Anyway, can anyone suggest a coffee grinder in this price bracket that will produce a decent grind but not cost a month’s salary?

Pyro

Bit more expensive, but I have a Wilfa Svart grinder after killing a succession of cheaper ones. It’s rather nice and not a month’s wages.

DrJ

Looks good – but quite big ?

Pyro

Not huge. Hopper holds 250g of beans, footprint is maybe 20 x 12cm (guessing off the top of my head) and it’s a similar height to my percolator.

Biggest thing I’ve found is it’s easy to pull the burrs out to clean, which the cheaper grinders I had weren’t. Means less chance of burning the motor out when it jams up with fines.

doris5000

i had one of these –

https://www.amazon.co.uk/James-Martin-Wahl-Spice-Grinder/dp/B005CZYN2Y

small, worked well, was reliable. top tip: don’t put olive oil in it 😉

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I’ve had the predecessor to the Russell Hobbs classic for about 10 years (exit crikey I’ve just twigged it’s probably more like 15) now, noisy but otherwise it’s been a good little machine. Consistent enough grind for home use, good variation between Turkish and “what’s the point” grinds. Portioning is a bit off for me but that’s more to do with my taste in coffee than anything i think.

Can’t speak to the current one though.

Pyro

Without wanting to be a coffee snob – the Wahl’s a blade grinder, doesn’t give as accurate/consistent a grind as a burr.

Big caveat: How much that matters is entirely up to the end user. I use 4 different brew methods that work best with specific grinds. It’s easier to tailor that on a burr grinder rather than having to guess how long it takes the blade grinder to chop to whatever.

CraigW
    Free Member

You can get a hand-cranked burr grinder for about £10. eg a copy of a Hario style. Simple enough, and not much to break. Doesn’t take too long to grind enough for a cup of coffee.

sands
    Free Member

As it has not been mentioned, the De’Longhi KG79 receives good reviews.

£40 new on ebay

£34 with Amazon Prime Free Trial

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

I’m not a fan of the De’Longhi KG79. Makes a right mess as it seems unable to feed all the grinds into the grind container. Need to wipe down the kitchen worktop after every grind

nickc

I’ve got the predecessor to the Walh one up there, must have had it now for 15 years plus.

kayak23

You know you can buy coffee pre-ground right?

*runs for cover…

MadBillMcMad

We have a KRUPS F20342, 25 years and going strong.

regenesis
    Free Member

Gaggia MDF.

Been around since the 70’s and still going strong with any spares you’ll ever need should you cock it up.

luket

In that price range you’re likely to get much better quality from a hand grinder than electric. I have one which I’m happy using for one cup at a time for pour over (so not all that fine) but for larger quantities I think I’d get fed up with it.

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

I have the De’Longhi  KG79 and it works really well on the grinding front (burr grinders are better) – very adjustable, really consistent, good sized bean hopper. It’s a bit noisy but as Sands said its a great price, ours is a couple of years old and no probs at all.

catfishsalesco
    Free Member

Is the standard STW recommendation not still the Ibertal MC2?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Cheap coffee grinder needed’ is closed to new replies.