Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Cheap Carbon Rims – any recommendations?
  • daern
    Free Member

My 29er XC bike has WTB KOM rims (i23 front and i25 rear) and, as I’ve got a thing for wheel building at the moment, I fancy building up a new set of carbon wheels for it, partly to sharpen the handling, partly to save a bit of weight, but mostly because, well, I fancy doing it 🙂

I see there’s plenty of cheap options out there, including eBay, but has anyone got any recommendations or experience of cheap-ish carbon self-build wheels? Not too worried about having the right name – more interested in having something that won’t explode on the first ride out.

So, let’s hear your stories… 🙂

bigbloke
    Free Member

I have a set of these C33 rims on Hope Pro 4. Nice wheelset, rims seem very good.

https://www.purecomponents.co.uk/product/pure-components-carbon-rims/

Daffy

I’ve used Light Bicycle and Nextie, but prefer the Nextie ones. I’d still stick with a named company with some customer reviews.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tom.nash

Rode Superstar carbon wheels for a year and could not fault them; remained true, took a hammering including racing an EWS round, hubs were smooth and didn’t have to replace the bearings. A big plus is also UK based so if you do have any issues they are a phone call away and have a crash replacement scheme and lifetime truing service.

beefheart
    Free Member

I’ve been running a set of ICAN rims for about a year and had no problems.

daern
    Free Member

Thanks for the recommendations guys. I’ve used Superstar’s carbon rims before and been impressed, but I’ll have a look around these options and see what will suit me.

jamesfts
    Free Member

Another happy Light Bicycle customer here. Have taken years of abuse on the hardtail, just make sure they’ve not been built with alloy nips.

Yetiman
    Free Member

I’ve got two pairs of 35mm LB 29er rims with the oldest being 3 1/2 years old and abused to hell. Despite not being the bargain they once were I think I would stick with them for another build.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

My LB rims have been excellent.
    Disclaimer: I am a serial bumbler.

djtom
    Free Member

I have a set of these C33 rims on Hope Pro 4. Nice wheelset, rims seem very good.

https://www.purecomponents.co.uk/product/pure-components-carbon-rims/

Guy asks for cheap carbon wheels. First response points to a company that sells rims for £579 each. Nice work.

And yes, I’m sure they are very good. I’d bloody well expect them to be world-leading for that price!

bigbloke
    Free Member

Errrr that’s for a pair I think you’ll find. They are UK too so no faffing about with foreign orders etc. I have no idea how much eBay or direct retailers rims cost. Thanks for the short sharp response, always appreciated.

daern
    Free Member

£580 a pair isn’t too daft, tbh. Well, it’s not Enve money, anyway 😉

FYI, the real reason for this is that my last KOM i23 disintegrated (i.e. the rim actually split around the whole rotation). This was a clear warranty job, although as it happened 48 hours before going on holiday, I had no choice but suck it up and throw another on quickly, so the spokes would still fit. I’m not so confident that they will last out though and if I’m changing them anyway, I might as well stick something a bit stiffer on instead.

Thanks for the suggestions people. Really appreciate the real-world feedback.

earl_brutus

I took a flyer on a set of used 26″ enve am on chris king hubs for £480 off ebay. On inspection they were pretty much unmarked and after a quick service of the hubs now spin like new. a couple of ard rock enduros, local xc blasts and a week bombing round the pyrenees later and they run like a dream. I figured at that price it was worth a punt cos the hubs alone would be worth £350 in any case and ill just rebuild with new rims if i ever prang one.

djtom
    Free Member

Errrr that’s for a pair I think you’ll find. They are UK too so no faffing about with foreign orders etc. I have no idea how much eBay or direct retailers rims cost. Thanks for the short sharp response, always appreciated.

Just had another look and you’re right, it’s for a pair – “Quantity = 1” threw me off.

Apologies – I’m having a bad day.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Light-Bicycle for Chinese cheap wheels

Bontrager Line Pro 30 rims if not.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Cheap Carbon Rims – any recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.