Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Cheap alloy frame bike that climbs really well…
  • epicyclo

When I was travelling back and fore to Oz regularly I had bikes stashed in the various places I visited. One standout was the Giant Bowery. I had one in Brisbane and one in Cairns.

There’s nothing particularly special about them at first glance, a decent quality budget singlespeed/track bike. I didn’t want to spend out too much on a bike I’d probably only ride for a week or two every couple of years.

Their ride is pretty unforgiving but they both had a characteristic which was immediately evident, the transfer of power to the back wheel was really good. No wind up, just instant go. Riding a decent steel track bike after felt soggy in comparison.

I’m sure there’s plenty better bikes if you’re willing to splash the cash

epicyclo

The first real test of its climbing ability was when I rode up Mt Nebo in Brisbane.

Mt Nebo is a reasonable hill. It wasn’t easy on 48/19, especially in the heat, but I didn’t have to walk any of it. I ran out of water which made the last part harder than it needed to be.

At no time did I feel the bike was sucking power.

epicyclo

When I am in Cairns I like to ride up to Lake Morris, also a stiff climb on a singlespeed. When I was over a few months ago I started to wonder how good the bike would be on the Bealach na Bah.

That turned out to be a brain worm. Every time I took it up a hill I wondered about that. The Bealach is steeper, the distance to peak is similar.

Cairns heat is sapping, it’s hard to keep the power down for long in the mid 30ºs, so the question is how would the Bowery fare on the Bealach.

Well there’s one way to find out…

epicyclo

I shipped the bike back to the UK, and I’m going to have a bash at the Bealach on it.

I’ve ridden the Bealach on a singlespeed before when I was a young lad in my 60s, and it’s not as much fun as it could be. 🙂

However, the bike arrived today, I slapped it back together and took it up a local hill. Kinnairdie Brae to the top of Mt Gerald – not a huge climb, but enough to let you know it’s there (and there’s a cake shop just past the top 🙂 ).

I’m pleased to say expectations were not dashed. I’ve ridden this particular hill on many different bikes (SS), and this felt as good as the best of them.

I’m going to give it a few weeks and wait for decent weather (and my borked rib to settle down), and it’s off to do the real test.

If I survive, I’ll report back.

jamj1974

Enjoy!  I always find single-speed bikes feel more efficient than geared bikes – although, obviously harder work uphill!

LAT

I had a Bowery the same as yours. I don’t often think about it but when I do (like right now) I wish I’d not sold it. I don’t think that about any other bike I’ve had.

Looking forward to your follow ups.

tthew

My first proper road bike, an alloy PlanetX Superlight was like that, really snappy acceleration too.

epicyclo

tthew
    My first proper road bike, an alloy PlanetX Superlight was like that, really snappy acceleration too.

Yes. The title should have been “In praise of cheap bikes that perform better than expected…” but I didn’t think of that until after the deadline. Can the mods could change the title?

Let’s hear all about cheap bikes that perform better than expected. 🙂

matt_outandabout

Define cheap!

I completely agree that if you don’t swallow the marketing bs, particularly on rigid bikes, then the ‘improvements’ are a diminishing return from very low down the price tag range…

kilo

What is going on with the brake lever / drop angles on that giant???

I commuted on my decathlon B’twin £300 road bike this morning, as opposed to my £250 steel pinnacle fixie, had it ages, cheap shimano 3×9 which always works well, light enough and quite a comfortable geometry. Real bargain. The pinnacle was also a steal – old school looks mounts for full guards and a steel frame for not much cash.

unovolo
    Free Member

Did the Cheshire 100 on my Bowery(now sadly gone) several years ago, only had to climb off on 1 hill and finished about 10 mins behind my riding partner who was on a geared roady.

Twas a great intro to Singlespeed biking.

plus-one

2008 Bowery identical to yours was my first ss. Done thousands of miles on mine it was exactly same geometry as Tcr if I remember. And it rode brilliantly

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Cheap alloy frame bike that climbs really well…’ is closed to new replies.