Viewing 10 posts - 121 through 130 (of 130 total)
  • Charging kids 'rent'
  • thestabiliser
    Free Member

[/quote]And the point about teaching them the value of money. There are many ways of doing that without resorting to claiming a slice of their income ‘for their own good’.

True but this one simple and effective way that has direct paralells with the life they will lead once independant.

Also, I think you need to get an understanding of the difference between

‘Resorting to claiming a slice of their income’

and

‘contribute however we can’

You’re emotively chararchterising as pernisicious the statements of people who are genuinely (and obviously) attempting to teach their children good ethical standards and a sense of personal reponsibility and it smacks of selfrighteousness.

MoreCashThanDash

I was watching some newly fledged sparrows being fed by their parents with my 7 year old yesterday evening.

I explained that the parents fed them and looked after them until they were big enough and strong enough to look after themselves, and this was the way all mummies and daddies looked after their kids. One day she and her brother would have jobs and be able look after themselves without relying on us.

My 7 year old understood it perfectly well. Surprised so many on here struggle with the concept!

Junkyard
    Free Member

And the point about teaching them the value of money. There are many ways of doing that without resorting to claiming a slice of their income ‘for their own good’

Its not claiming a slice of their income [ they do not get it it goes on bills and many folk will still be at a loss for this]it is them contributing to the household they live in that survives only due to someone paying for everything in it.

Getting emotive about this is not helpful

Would it help if I described your approach as teaching them to free load off folk, scrounge and get their own way be manipulating folks feelings?

Everyone thinks they are doing the best whatever they are doing so stop being so disparaging about someone who chooses an approach different from yours.

dazh

stop being so disparaging about someone who chooses an approach different from yours.

?

So another STW thread descends into student debating club bickering, people putting words in other’s mouths, and claims of straw men where none exist. I’m surprised it took so long.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Never charged rent until my kids came back from Uni & had a job.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Would it help if I described your approach as teaching them to free load off folk, scrounge and get their own way be manipulating folks feelings?

Would it help if I described your approach as encouraging children to freeload off the state in an attempt to move out and pensioners to freeload off their and everyone elses offspring? Who’s going to be picking up the bill for the aging population and the world we’ve collectively trashed, you or your children?

I moved out when I was sixteen.
    I was still going to school, got my a levels while living above a pub and working in the kitchen to pay my rent and food.
    I went on to find myself through university by working in bars.
    Once graduating I got a job and have worked ever since.
    I love my parents dearly but never paid them a penny while I was under 16.
    Any older the kids should pay or move out. You get to realise the world is not all mummy and daddy’s chequebook and your kids will appreciate their world so much more.

Unfortunately, if you lived in London this is easier said than done as living costs are very high for youngsters.

I bet they are freeloading brats, oh wait, they had the self-motivation to get into university and then get a job.

Junkyard
    Free Member

So another STW thread descends into student debating club bickering, people putting words in other’s mouths, and claims of straw men where none exist. I’m surprised it took so long.

Just re read what you said – would you like to explain how is is not disparaging?
    The straw man claim was to Tom – please explain and highlight where anyone said anything like that – why did you wait another post to highlight and complain about this? Its almost like you want to bicker- oh the ironing

No tom it would not help if we were to make up accounts of what other people are saying when they are expressing themselves freely in their own words. That was rather my point.

Are you always like this on here?

dazh

Are you always like this on here?

Pot, kettle etc 😀

AdamW
    Free Member

I bet they are freeloading brats, oh wait, they had the self-motivation to get into university and then get a job.

Eh? That’s what most people here are supporting – when the offspring is earning but living at the ‘rents helping to chip in a bit, not taking stuff from them when they’re still in education (unless they win the lottery, natch).

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Mainly food or utility donations lol.

They now have their own place and bills.

Viewing 10 posts - 121 through 130 (of 130 total)

The topic ‘Charging kids 'rent'’ is closed to new replies.