Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Charger 2.1 revelation upgrade
  • sam1988
    Free Member

I’ve a pair of 2019 revelation with charger damper. German outlets have the 2.1 upgrade for €200 which is very tempting. Anyone else done the same? Was the difference worth it?

jjprestidge
    Free Member

Did it to a Yari. Fork feels much nicer and it was a pretty easy job, considering I’m pretty inept at mechanical stuff. Hasn’t made me measurably faster, though, which is surprising given how crap people say the Moco damper is.

JP

orangespyderman

I think the OP is asking about a charger to charger 2.1 upgrade rather than MoCo to Charger. 200€ seems a lot to spend on that – I’d be looking at the FAST suspension cartridges or another aftermarket tune if you want to spend 200€ on your forks.

binman

Ordered one for my 2017 RC Pike and was hoping to put the RC charger from that in a 2018 Revelation to replace the MoCo…. Just tracking it via DPD…🤞 Got a new aispring for the Revelation too.

God knows whether this will all work out.

sam1988
    Free Member

Yes was thinking of swapping from the charger to a charger 2 or 2.1. I looked into the fast damper on tf tuned but they are £240 where as the charger upgrades are 200 euro

joebristol

So you’ve got the Rev charger rc which is actually meant to be pretty good – although it’s not a sealed bladder damper like the charger 2 / 2.1 etc?

It would be a bit better I’d imagine, but I suspect it’s not going to be night and day better.

I did moco to charger 2 with a Yari and that was noticeable, but you’re starting with a better damper in the first place.

orangespyderman

I have Fast 3-way on my Boxxer (they do the 3 way and the up cartridges, iirc). It’s very good and isn’t the 240 quid the fitted cost? I had mine done by Fast themselves in France (am based there) but it gives real adjustment through 20 or so clicks. The charger isn’t anything like as adjustable. Maybe give TFTuned a ring and discuss?

Mintyjim

I bought a Charger 2.1 damper from Germany for my Yari and installed it this morning.

Pretty straight forward.

Anyway…. in amongst the parts for installation were two bits that I couldn’t see what to do with. A rubber seal and a plastic washer thing.

Did anyone else have these parts? Initial garden testing and bouncing around shows no problems or noise:

RickDraper
    Free Member

Rubber o-ring goes under the HSC adjuster in the groove you will see. The large plastic washer goes on the base stud on the damper side.

Mintyjim

Ooof! Thanks Rich, nothing in the SRAM manual online, the buggers.

RickDraper
    Free Member

No worries. The plastic washer is the crush washer, its likely larger than the one used before.

Mintyjim

Worked like a charm. Fitting the new crush washer helped the rebound adjust work better too.

cs645
    Free Member

Probably won’t fit a RS 35 gold will it?

Mintyjim

I’d phone TF Tuned to check. I believe they’re different for Pike and Yari so best check with them.

Mugboo

I’ve just put one in my Bluto (still building the bike). I’m hoping to notice a big difference from the moco.

Mintyjim

I haven’t used it in anger yet (tomorrow’s virgin outing) but it required more pressure for 30% sag and felt far more supple so fingers crossed that translates into a markedly positive experience when riding!

tinglesrack
    Free Member

Just to clarify with sam1988,
    Make sure that you’re not getting confused as to what damper you currently have in your Revelation. The 2019 Revelation RC came with a Motion Control compression damper not a charger damper as you state. The adjuster lever looks the same as a Charger RC but thats where the similarities end. Hope this helps you decide

sam1988
    Free Member

@tinglesrack my damper says charger on the top?

tinglesrack
    Free Member

I stand corrected! They show a Charger and a Motion Control on their service docs but only a Motion Contol version on their global website (how odd?)
    Considering you already have a charger damper i’d suggest €200 could be better spent elsewhere on the bike to make noticeable gains. If it were possible to do a blind ride test (not advised!) I bet no one would be able to tell the difference between a Charger and a Chager 2.1

RickDraper
    Free Member

Sam1988 your fork will have the Charger RC damper with a spring backed IFP. A Charger 2.1 damper would be a good upgrade for you still. The damper you have is better than the motion control but not as good as the Charger 2 or 2.1 damper.

lardman
    Free Member

Does anyone know if the charger damper (considering one from the German site for my Yari) is the same unit, regardless of travel on the fork?

The ones listed don’t seem to show any travel options.

jjprestidge
    Free Member

Does anyone know if the charger damper (considering one from the German site for my Yari) is the same unit, regardless of travel on the fork?

The ones listed don’t seem to show any travel options.

The airspring dictates travel – damper is the same for all travel lengths for a given fork.

JP

lardman
    Free Member

@jp..
    Thanks for that, i thought as much. Being as i have a coil spring, then it’s easy.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Charger 2.1 revelation upgrade’ is closed to new replies.