Charger 2.1 – First Ride

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Charger 2.1 – First Ride
  • I’ve just stuck a 2020 spec Charger 2.1 in my Yari and, as this sort of upgrade is often asked about on here, I thought I’d give some initial thoughts. Bike is a 2018 Mega and I’d already changed the spring to the 2019 Debonair 180mm previously, so, effectively I’ve got a 2020 spec Lyrik now.

Installation was pretty easy – took about an hour with a fair bit of faffing, and I’m no engineer/fettler, so I reckon most people could do it. Only confusing bit was the presence of an o ring in the bag that contains the rebound and LSC controls – it fits either control, but fitting makes both controls very stiff. The online installation instructions don’t show where this goes, either, so if anyone has an idea about this please let me know.

First thing I noticed when riding was that it requires a lot more rebound damping than the Yari – about 6 clicks slower. Once sag was set I took it on my usual route – a mix of rooty and rocky descents with some technical/very steep sections.

Small bump sensitivity is great, but not massively better than the Yari. It seems to be more controlled on medium to large repetitive bumps, where the feedback is less. It also runs higher in its travel than the Yari, which makes it a lot easier to ride on steeper trails with switchbacks where a diving fork can catch you out. LSC is also useable without compromising sensitivity – the Yari’s LSC control seemed to make the fork very harsh unless it was left open.

Overall the bike felt faster, but my times were all slower than a couple of days ago. Part of this can be blamed on a low sun that blinded me on at least a couple of corners per trail, plus I also haven’t got the settings/pressure perfectly dialed yet. I’ll report back after a few more rides.

JP

Premier Icon dirkpitt74
    Subscriber

Thanks for posting.
    Would be good to hear your thoughts after few more rides & fiddling.
    About to upgrade to a debonair spring on my Yari’s.

jaketurbo

The charger damper is far better than the moco damper. Not just small bump sensitivity but actually being able to handle repeated bigger guys again and again. moco just gets overwhelmed after 2 or 3.

Really it just needs tuning properly.

Is it the rc2 version?

If it is, turn off hsc and LSC. Then ride… And increase only if needed.

jaketurbo

Thanks for posting.
    Would be good to hear your thoughts after few more rides & fiddling.
    About to upgrade to a debonair spring on my Yari’s.

Don’t even think about changing to the debonair spring, just do it. It costs like £40… No brainer, big improvement.

Consider the charger damper upgrade. Depends on the riding you do. If more sedate, maybe not needed… If you ride harder, more varied and steep terrain, do it.

The Debonair spring made a noticeable difference on its own – definitely worth doing.

JP

Premier Icon ta11pau1
    Subscriber

Did you go up in travel with the debonair spring? If so you’ve probably seen a decent increase with each change – travel increase/debonair spring/charger 2.1 – if you’d gone straight from the standard fork to the charger 2.1 there would probably have been a much bigger difference.

OK – second ride completed so some more thoughts.

I did upgrade to the 2019 Debonair spring, going from 170 to 180, before this upgrade. Having now got a better setup – no LSC and dropped a few PSI to about 3PSI below the Rockshox recommendation for my weight (not sure how accurate my gauge is, so it may be under-reading) – I think that the new damper has made a bigger difference.

It definitely feels a bit easier to manual for one thing (rebound feels faster even on 11 clicks from full slow, whereas I ran the Yari fully fast). Multiple bump performance is better – you don’t feel so much feedback, and there seems to be a little more grip on rooty corners.

I did a few runs down one of my longer local descents (1.5 k with about 120m of vertical) and I was within a second or so of my best time despite conditions not being optimum (loads of glare and it’s been very dry so the flatter corners are sandy and very slippery.

All in all a worthwhile upgrade for the money. I really wouldn’t write off the standard Yari, though – it’s pretty good most of the time.

JP

ndthornton

I was annoyed when the charger 2.1 came out…I had just spent a fair whack updating my pikes and my lyrics to charger 2 from the charger 1 which I felt was a bit flawed…and then immediately they bring out another one as it’s not quite right. Well bloody get it right the first time please in future. Nothing more to add…just venting 🙂

Premier Icon baldiebenty
    Subscriber

I had the same thing with the o-ring when I installed a charger 2 the one place where it seemed to fit made the adjuster near impossible to turn.

It’s been left in a bag on the workbench since then.

P-Jay

Small bump sensitivity is great, but not massively better than the Yari. It seems to be more controlled on medium to large repetitive bumps, where the feedback is less. It also runs higher in its travel than the Yari, which makes it a lot easier to ride on steeper trails with switchbacks where a diving fork can catch you out. LSC is also useable without compromising sensitivity – the Yari’s LSC control seemed to make the fork very harsh unless it was left open.

These were pretty much my exact findings when I switched from a Yari to a Lyrik.

My Yari was actually great on small bump sensitivity, but dived like a sod on breaking, I could run less sag and/or wind on the compression and it dived less, but it was really harsh over rough ground. Fitting a Lufftkappe (Mine wasn’t Debonair) made it more progressive so you could have a bit of your cake and eat it, but I learned that braking on steep, rough descents would really upset it. The Lyrik is far, far better at this.

Overall the bike felt faster, but my times were all slower than a couple of days ago. Part of this can be blamed on a low sun that blinded me on at least a couple of corners per trail, plus I also haven’t got the settings/pressure perfectly dialed yet. I’ll report back after a few more rides.

I’ve never been the kind of rider who can jump on something better and just go quicker, it would just be ‘different’ it takes a while for me to tune into something new.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.