• This topic has 24 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by poah.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Charge Spoon vs SDG Bel Air
  • olderigetfasteriwas
    Free Member

I’m in need of a new saddle, currently using a spoon which I find comfortable enough for rides of 3-4 hours, but I’m considering a SDG Bel Air, is anyone using/ has used both? I guess what I’m asking is the Bel Air compatible with spoon shaped backsides, as a rule.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I used to have 2 Ti rail Bel airs, now I’ve got 2 spoons.

I prefer the bel air saddles to be fair but for the money I paid (£20? Each) the spoons are lovely.

meehaja
    Free Member

I have both. Prefer the spoon, which is on my commuter bike, gets lots of use in all weather for endless miles in normal shorts/ Jeans etc. Ace. Bel air is ok, in an OEM kinda way. inoffensive but nothing exciting, though if they still do the zebra print ones I could be tempted!

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Still use both saddles and prefer the Spoon

johnnystorm

Have both too, also get on with both. 🙂

bigjim

have both prefer the bel air, more comfy and doesn’t snag baggy shorts as much

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Used both concurrently on two bikes, Bel Air (Ti) is more comfortable for harder riding, Spoon for distance and lighter trails, in my experience. Madison Flux is like a Spoon with a little more padding so tend to go with that more than the other 2. Riding buddy has an older WTB Speed V, which always feels like the comfiest perch ever when I give it a go … grass is always greener, or should I seek one out, dunno – seat choice for me has always been a PITA, pun and no pun.

And then the old Specialized BG Indie XC, loved that seat and forgot to save it when sold a bike on…grrr

iainc

Both here too, prefer the sdg. Actually replaced new Madison one on CDF with a bel air after 1st ride too 🙂

pitcherpro
    Free Member

Another one here for the bel air , have used a charge spoon to and it was also very comfy ( until i crashed and it bent the rails – the cro mo one seems to be made of cheese)

shindiggy
    Free Member

Currently on a spoon but much prefer my old sdg bel air. Both great saddles though and the charge is less than half the price.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Both here, I have the spoon on my road bike and the Bel Air on a hardtail. I find the spoon more comfortable on more aero road bike position whereas I find the bel air is better on the slightly more upright position. I’ve tried it the other way around and it was far less comfortable on both bikes.

olderigetfasteriwas
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies people, will try a bel air then, see how I get on.

gogg
    Free Member

Where are you? My LBS has demo SDG saddles, it was after trying a couple that I plumped for an SDG duster, but it was a close call between that and the Bel Air.

Alex

Nothing wrong with those cro-mo rails 🙂

[url=https://flic.kr/p/hNAW7u]It was a spoon[/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

To be fair it had just been pile-driven into the ground underneath an Orange Five. We had to dig it out!

Not much to choose really between SDG and Spoon. Have both, neither feels more comfortable. Going to try that new charge when I need a new saddle.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I used SDG Bel Air RLs for years but for some reason have found them to be increasingly uncomfortable (I blame entering my mid 30’s). Had a Spoon before so got another off vortexracing a while back and slapped that on my main bike to give it a go and its a million times better. Going to get another for the second bike but its currently running an I-Beam setup so need a new post as well…

sweepy
    Free Member

Got both, prefer the bel air. You arse may vary.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Used both, currently on the spoons though just bent the rails on one so shopping time. I’d currently go either as the price isn’t the same as it is in the UK.

funkrodent

pitcherpro – Member
    Another one here for the bel air , have used a charge spoon to and it was also very comfy ( until i crashed and it bent the rails – the cro mo one seems to be made of cheese)

I’ll second this. Had two Spoons bent out of shape, in both cases as the result of relatively minor crashes. Whilst they are certainly comfortable and light, they are made of cheese and the build quality on them is poor, with the stitching liable to fray and the saddle cover attached by no more than some rudimentary stapling.

Whilst I haven’t ridden the Bel Air, I have the SDG Falcon (currently reduced from £69.95 to £29.99 with Merlin), which is an excellent saddle. Comfortable, strong and extremely well made.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’ll add I bent the Ti rails though it took some effort hit an immovable object at an unstoppable speed. Banged my cleat back an inch in the foot that caught too.

nickc

never got on with Bel Air, always preferred the I-fly.

had to look for another saddle as no one makes an I-beam dropper post, so went for a Charge Scoop. It creaks. 😐

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’ve tried both and much prefer the Bel Air. I found the Spoon too flat, with the Bel Air more rounded and probably more padded.

butcher

Interesting question. I’m the same, and find the Spoon very comfortable, it’s a joy to sit on … until a few hours in …

I do find saddle adjustment important, and if I balance it perfectly it’s bearable, but it could be better.

One of the biggest issues I have is with the perineum(?). If the Charge had something of a cutout, I think it would be a whole lot better. And I see there Bel-air has something of a groove. Is this likely to be an improvement on the Spoon?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

the cut out is better for relieving pressure on the perineum which is wah can cause discomfort and numbness.

botanybay
    Free Member

Bel Air is my fave. Gusset R Series are the same as a Spoon, but you can get tartan ones.

poah
    Free Member

got a bel air I-beam and I prefer it to the charge spoon. its an ass shape thing

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Charge Spoon vs SDG Bel Air’ is closed to new replies.