Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Charge Spoon equivalent for the road bike.
  • Kunstler

I’ve got a Fizik saddle on the road bike that can become uncomfortable after about an hour yet I can ride the mtb with a Spoon for 11 hours without discomfort. I’m presuming that I can’t just put a spoon on the road bike as it’s for a different riding position and probably breaks the style rules. Cheap and cheerful would be good.

core

Try one, **** the rules man!

rob-jackson
    Free Member

charge knife

wilko1999
    Free Member

Charge Spoon? Seriously, if it suits your arse go for it, it really isn’t that much different looking to a ‘standard’ road saddle.

IHN

Yeah, a Charge spoon. I have one on all my bikes.

rocketman
    Free Member

Scoop is pretty good. Not quite as comfy as a Spoon but then again it’s a bit more streamlined than a Spoon. Smooth flowy construction looks contemporary

Jamie
    Free Member

I have a Madison Prime which seems very similar to the Spoon. It’s what Genesis ship their CdF/Croix De Fers with.

chakaping
    Free Member

Madison Prime here too, also came on a Genesis and I get on very well with it (and also usually have Spoons on my MTBs if that means anything).

globalti
    Free Member

Charge Knife. Lighter version of the Spoon and just as comfortable.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Scoop or Spoon what ever is most comfortable.

Scapegoat

Why not a Spoon? I’ve got one on my road bike.

robbonzo
    Free Member

Madison flux, great saddle, very spoon like, actually prefer it to my spoon.

leftyboy
    Free Member

I have a Flite on both bikes and as it fits me I don ‘t care if it ‘looks’ wrong.

bigyinn
    Free Member

rocketman – Member Smooth flowy construction looks contemporary

Another one lost to the marketeers. 🙁

Seriously though, if you like spoons, fit a spoooooon. A saddle’s a saddle, isn’t it?

zilog6128

I have a Madison Prime which seems very similar to the Spoon. It’s what Genesis ship their CdF/Croix De Fers with.

😀 that’s handy to know! I recently borrowed a Spoon for my road bike and really liked it, but I was going to get a Prime as it’s “more roadie”. However, I have the saddle from my Croix de Fer languishing at the bottom of my cupboard as I hate it! Might stick with the Spoon then.

Madison flux, great saddle, very spoon like, actually prefer it to my spoon.

The owner of my LBS told me that the Flux and the Spoon are, in fact, exactly the same saddle (bar the branding of course!)

robbonzo
    Free Member

Theres slightly more padding in the flux imo.

wonkey_donkey
    Free Member

yeah i have a Spoon on my road bike, or a knife, same shiz

tonyd

Intrigued by your post, and seeking confirmation that I was using the right kind of saddle, I looked at the Charge website to see what mine is. It came second hand with a bike bought from the classifieds, is fitted to my drop bar commuter (Pompetamine), is very comfy, and seems to fit the bill quite nicely.

Imagine my horror when I discovered it’s a charge ladle which is apparently women specific. I suppose I’ll have to change it now!

Leon
    Free Member

where are you? I’ve got a knife I took off a bike (switched to a fizik, funnily enough). I’m in bristol, happy to loan you it to try, and if you want to keep it, you can buy it off me, or if you just want to buy a new one, then go ahead.

oh, and @leftyboy – flites look good on everything, that’s why you don’t care 😉

takisawa2

Thankfully, most roadies flash past so quick they cant see it.

IMAG1680 by pten2106, on Flickr

Yes, those are mtb flats as its all I had for that test run.

Leon
    Free Member

ah, just looked at your profile. Edinburgh is not really just around the corner from Bristol, is it.

If you just want to buy it, £22 posted and it’s yours.

ransos
    Free Member

Charge spoons on both my road bikes. I splashed out on the fancy leather/ ti one for my expensive bike, but I can’t tell any functional difference.

robdob
    Free Member

I can understand why the OP might think he needs a different road saddle. I put an SDG bel air on my road bike as I find the one on my MTB so comfy. But for some reason it was awful and I couldn’t get used to it – must just be the different position.

I would try swapping the MTB saddle to the road bike and doing a big ride and see if you like it. Nothing lost if you don’t, just a few minutes with an Allen key. Eliminates the “was it uncomfortable because it was a new saddle” question too.

cr500dom
    Free Member

I have Spoons on the MTB and Commuter/cargo

I run a Specialized Toupe (with Carbon Rails) on the road bike which is “comfortable” enough for a century

Northwind

The joy of being the worst roadie who ever lived was that I could just fit whatever I wanted to mine, that being a Spoon, which was perfect. I am such a rebel.

globalti
    Free Member

Leon, YGM.

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Northwind – Member
    The joy of being the worst roadie who ever lived was that I could just fit whatever I wanted to mine, that being a Spoon, which was perfect. I am such a rebel.

+1 – also fitted PM520’s and wear MTB shoes….

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

OP – how many pro roadies do you see using a charge spoon on their bike?

The answer is none. Which should give you a pretty good clue as to whether you should fit one to your bike.

akira

How many pro roadies are sponsored by charge, none. Which would explain why no pro roadies have them on their bikes.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

I use a spoon on my road bike, in fact all my bikes have spoons on, cheap and they seem to fit my fat arse ok 🙂

nick1962
    Free Member

Got Spoons on all my MTBs and very happy with them.Fitted one to my road bike and it just didn’t feel right in fact it became uncomfortable and chafed after a couple of hours.The stock Boardman saddle is comfier on my CX bike too.I have no idea why.

jamiep
    Free Member

Ive Spoons on both my MBTs but found it too wide towards the middle of the saddle when on my CX. Different seat position and height

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I have a scoop on my winter roadie. Very comfortable.

retrobri
    Free Member

Charge Knife on my roadie & I would have no issue using a spoon either!

MTB shoes on a roadie… me too 🙂

tom200

I have a spoon on my mtb but didn’t get on with it on my road bike, probably due to poor fit rather than the saddle. Swap it over, if you like it on the road bike get one, cheap as chips.

t_p
    Free Member

I reckon the Charge Spoon may just be the best saddle I have every used!!

Have just put one on my road bike and have used one on my mtb for years! Can’t go wrong. If it fits, use it!!

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

I’d guess the stitching on the saddle can wreck a nice pair of bibs over time though.

unovolo
    Free Member

how many pro roadies do you see using a charge spoon on their bike?

Its not uncommon for Pro’s to have there preferred saddle recovered or rebranded with there sponsors logo’s so whose to say there may not be a Charge spoon(or other generic version as it is just a rebranded Velo)in the peleton.

I’m old school and my ar5e likes a Selle italia Turbo best on the roadie.

ransos
    Free Member

So as well as fitting a Spoon, I don’t have electronic gears, a power meter or a race radio. Will I die?

Kunstler

They’re usually covering them up when I’m watching them. As I realise that they also don’t wear a peaked helmet, rucksack and the wrong shoes as I do then I’m beginning to feel like I asked a silly question.

Swapping saddles today. I might take the long route home from work if it proves to be comfy.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Charge Spoon equivalent for the road bike.’ is closed to new replies.