Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Charge Plug 4 – Mudguard Problem
  • woody2000

I’ve bought some SKS Chromoplastics for my Plug, but it’s looking like they won’t fit on the front as the massive disk caliper gets in the way. Anyone got any suggestions for some suitable guards?

The SKS Velo 42 look like they might be ok, anyone used them?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/sks-velo-42-urban-mudguard-set/rp-prod68582

jamiep
    Free Member

I fitted Chromos to my Charge Scourer, which I think has the same disc placement – I just bended the bit of wire on the disc-side mount around the disc

woody2000

That would be a lot of bending, doesn’t look like it’ll fit at all!

woody2000

steezysix
    Free Member

Get a “P” clip and put it slightly above the disc mount?

Northwind

It’s usually possible to space out the mudguard leg (or bend it) to clear the caliper… IIRC I ended up using a brake caliper bolt to fit it on my brother’s Revolution, not really ideal but it worked.

ton

is there a braze on halfway up the fork leg, where a front rack would go.
    i use this on the disc side of my lht. just cut the mudguard stays down to suit.

woody2000

No other mount points Ton. Why are mudguards so bloody fiddly! I can’t do with having to contort it to fit. Think I’ll try and take a look at those ones I linked to above, the single stay design should fit better.

m360
    Free Member

I reckon you’ll have the same issue with any mudguard set you buy, they all need some fettling.

Make a little tab, triangular, with three holes. One lines up with the lower calliper mount, the other with the original mudguard mount. The third is your new mudguard mount.

Or P-clip it higher.

Or drill a new hole in the calliper mount:

woody2000

Just in case anyone was remotely interested, I went with my original plan of buying some SKS Velo 42 guards and it was the right choice. Doddle to fit without any bending or cutting of stays, totally rock solid & don’t rattle or wobble. Fit nice and close to the front wheel to minimise toe overlap. And only £15 a set 🙂

I won’t win any friends in a bunch ride as the rear won’t stop spray hitting the rider behind, I can just hang out at the back anyway 🙂

Nowhere near the caliper now:

Won’t win any beauty contests, but who cares…..

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Charge Plug 4 – Mudguard Problem’ is closed to new replies.