Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • chapel gate RIP?
  • Pook

Heard a rumour that it’s the victim if the dreaded resurfacing. Anyone been up/down it?

slowrider
    Free Member

Yep. D.E.D. Dead.

sambob
    Free Member

How dead? And will the resurfacing mean i don’t have an excuse for pushing up?

geetee1972
    Free Member

We need to get a whole load of motorcrossers to rip it back into condition 😀

sambob
    Free Member

Good plan. Same with mellor cross.

iain1775
    Free Member

Eh? It wasn’t resurfaced 4 weeks ago it was huge amounts of fun still
    And I had to stop halfway down to let some Learner motocrosser get ahead cause I kept catching him up

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Please tell me it’s not so?

That said, first time I ever rode it, it was a tarmacked road….

topangarider
    Free Member

Nature will soon retake it!

BadlyWiredDog

Don’t they have a voluntary one-way system for our brothers and sisters in their motorised **** boxes?

See http://www.peakdistrict.gov.uk/index/news/news-display-page.htm?id=24286

Means the erosion will only happen in one direction. Anyway, whatever they do to it, it won’t last long, it never does. Look at it this way, the Broken Road by Mam Tor used to be an A-road and they don’t seem able to sort that out.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

motorised **** boxes?

🙄
    Live and let live eh?

BadlyWiredDog

Live and let live eh?

Er, no. If that’s okay with you. I’m entitled to my opinion, they’re regrettably entitled to be there and I’m entitled to think that motorised off-road recreation is a pile of arse mostly involving fat people who think it’s an adventure to drive about pumping out pollution and noise and trashing trails.

You don’t have to agree with me, but that’s my personal opinion. You can feed me all the lines about how 4x4s and trail riders are our buddies, if they get banned, we’ll be next, but my personal take is that the line I choose to draw is defined by the internal combustion engine and its impact on other people’s quiet enjoyment of the outdoors.

Equally, you’re quite entitled to disagree with me and I quite accept that, but please don’t feed me pious cliches about ‘live and let live’. Thanks.

Jamie
    Free Member

Er, no. If that’s okay with you. I’m entitled to my opinion, they’re regrettably entitled to be there and I’m entitled to think that motorised off-road recreation is a pile of arse mostly involving fat people who think it’s an adventure to drive about pumping out pollution and noise and trashing trails.

You don’t have to agree with me, but that’s my personal opinion. You can feed me all the lines about how 4x4s and trail riders are our buddies, if they get banned, we’ll be next, but my personal take is that the line I choose to draw is defined by the internal combustion engine and its impact on other people’s quiet enjoyment of the outdoors.

Equally, you’re quite entitled to disagree with me and I quite accept that, but please don’t feed me pious lines about ‘live and let live’. Thanks.

KA-BOOM!

faint
    Free Member

I’m with BWD on this one. Lots of by-ways got trashed our way and I think the land owners have got fed up with repairing the damage. These have now been converted into (boring) surfaced bridleways.

BadlyWiredDog

KA-BOOM!

Was that the noise of a 4×4 engine throwing a con-rod trying to labour over a modest bedrock step?

Anyway, not really, I’m just saying everyone’s entitled to their own opinion and that’s mine. Equally I accept that Peter has a different take on things, which of course he’s completely entitled to hold. I’m not seeking to convince him otherwise. Or anyone else for that matter. So in a way, I am saying live and let live, but with regard to other people’s opinions 😉

racing_ralph
    Free Member

on a similar note – 2 MXers on hope cross – polite but shouldn’t be there, got the registrations – report or not?

ratherbeintobago

Report.

Andy

BadlyWiredDog

Ah, go that wrong about Chapel Gate. According to this page:

http://www.peakdistrict.gov.uk/index/looking-after/vehicles/vehicles-routes.htm

It’s currently closed to vehicles. The one-way thing is on the Roych track, it says it’s proposed to take effect from 1 March and restrict 4x4s etc to going from E to W, presumably to stop any more trashing of the area around the track by the big bed rock steps up above the ford on the Rushup side, which makes sense. Every time I’ve ridden it recently, Ive found 4x4s struggling to get up or down it for that matter.

I think the Roman Road/Hope Cross is a disputed track, not sure if it’s legal for vehicles or not.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Beast isn’t is it

BadlyWiredDog

Hmmm… I think our 4×4 brethren believe that the Roman Road, the Beast and the Hagg Farm descent should all be designated as ‘roads’. Maybe worth checking what the situation is with the Peak Park Authority?

nonk
    Free Member

i would rather see them up on the hill than on the roads to be honest.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

why?

crazy-legs

Can a 4×4 even get up/down The Beast? It’s been a while since I rode it but I’d have thought some of the rocks would be too big for most 4x4s?

BWD is right, Roych is getting trashed again and it was VERY expensive last time they did all the resurfacing work. There’s one rock step in particular up near the top of it where I’ve seen 4x4s ripping huge chunks of the hill out trying to get up it.

Roman Road, as far as I’m aware is/was a RUPP or BOAT and whatever it’s been reclassified as, it still seems to be fair game for vehicles. Even if it’s not legal, I think it’s one of those tracks that everyone uses anyway so people expect to see them up there and don’t complain about it. Much the same as MTBers riding certain FP’s really…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Problem with motrbikes out there is they are hard to overtake

slowrider
    Free Member

Some crossers trying to get down the beast too. They looked well out of their depth.

The surface they have put down on chapel gate won’t last long unless they plant to put some kind of top coat on it. It’s like a mix of mud, fire road gravel and broken bricks. They arent finished yet though as there are pipes by the side waiting to be put in and a huge digger half way up. I was well cheesed off having ridden up the old mam tor road to get there. Played on the collapsed drop offs then went and did cavedale so it wasn’t all bad…

mintimperial

Ugh. There’s a hell of a lot of this going on, considering the state of the UK economy and the state of our heavily potholed tarmac roads. Has no-one told them that we’ve got no sodding money?

ChrisE
    Free Member

BW Dog – I’m with you on this one, your vision for a land where motor vehicles stick to tarmac roads.

C

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Roych?Where do they get these figures from 600 vehicles a month 😆

Blower
    Free Member

seen alot of mxer’s on the roman road hope cross in the past,thought they was ok to be up there?

dont bother me like.as long as they dont get in my way 🙂

Andituk
    Free Member

Saw some MXers up there on Friday too. Wonder why that routes suddenly become popular. Obviously upsetting someone too, as the gate was tied up.

crazy-legs

Roych?Where do they get these figures from 600 vehicles a month

There’s 4 or 5 weekends a month so 8, 9 or 10 days = 60-70 vehicles a day (that’s all vehicles; MX, quads, 4×4’s. Not unreasonable. I’ve seen convoys of 6 4x4s at a time and sometimes 8-10 MXers. Add in the farmers who use bits of that track day in day out plus any other off-roader using it midweek. And they’re probably counting the people who spend half a day going up and down, up and down as a separate vehicle each time, I can easily see where the figures have come from.
    AFAIK, it’s one of the longest unbroken stretches of legal off-road in the UK and very challenging so it’s on everyone’s to-do list.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

motorised **** boxes

😆 😆

Bang on.

RagTi
    Free Member

I agree, also predominantly chav scratters with earings, full of night before carling lager, pulling there motorised piles of shit out of their company van that they should not be using !

james
    Free Member

” Look at it this way, the Broken Road by Mam Tor used to be an A-road and they don’t seem able to sort that out”
    Isn’t that more to do with Mam Tor moves about so the road can’t stay together, that and they gave up with it decades ago so presumably its got worse since then?

How draggy should Chapel Gate be as a climb once they’ve flattened it? Just trying to find a tiny plus out of a massive negative, given the best bit(/side) of rushop edge is technically off limits maybe it could be a shortcut on the ‘classic’ Jacobs ladder loop to get in a bit more around Hayfield/Kinder reservior without making it as much of an ‘epic’ for some

will
    Free Member

RagTi – Member
    I agree, also predominantly chav scratters with earings, full of night before carling lager, pulling there motorised piles of shit out of their company van that they should not be using !
    POSTED 2 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

How stupid! Makes you sound a right stuck up tit!

If it’s a legal right of way there should be no issues, off roading of any form of transport is fun, especially with an engine! anyway as somebody mentioned cyclists ride fp’s a fair bit!

Blower
    Free Member

+1 Will.

snakebite
    Free Member

Did Chapel Gate last Tuesday after climbing the broken road from Castleton, trails were dry etc… the ‘Gate’ was a mess, muddy gravel re surfacing stuff. A JCB and dump truck half way up it, right mess…bikes were about 20lb heavier at the bottom going into Edale. Very top of the beast had also been ‘repaired’…

Duggan

I’m newish to all this, but if the guys on the crossers are churning up the paths and thus roughening the smoothed-over ones, surely that’s a good thing for us?

Or are we saying that if it wasn’t for the crossers, the paths wouldn’t be resurfaced in the first place?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Snakebite – re the beast – no it hasn’t. Nothing has been done as of yesterday

crispedwheel
    Free Member

Anybody got any pictures of the latest work? Sounds like it might have (hopefully temporarily) ruined some of my favourite trails when I’m back up north.
    Oh, and BWD – your second post up there^^ is one of the best ones I’ve read on here in a long time!

snakebite
    Free Member

Ralph, it has mate, the lead into the first gate that the crossers damage has been re-surfaced.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘chapel gate RIP?’ is closed to new replies.