Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Channel Tunnel or ferry??
  • ElShalimo

Going to France late summer, would you book the ferry or EuroTunnel?
    Currently discussing this with my better half but both have drawbacks. I’m leaning towards the Tunnel ‘cos its great but the recent problems are a bit worrying.
    What say you??

I’m sure the problems can’t last all summer but …..

Mackem

I like the tunnel. I’m actually in Calais now, going thru tomorrow morning, hoping there’s no problems.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’ve done both, they have their advantages – tunnel is indisputably faster, there’s less waiting to get on, less faf, a much quicker trip and much quicker disembarkment – but there’s also no rest for the driver really – you can get out of your car, but it’s not encouraged and there’s nothing to do anyway, bar the odd toilet.

The ferry is a decent rest for me and means only one stop between Calis and the Alps.

All that said, given all the issues at the moment is take the Ferry to Dunkirk, I’m told it’s much quieter. I’m not worried about asilum seekers, but it took us 4 hours to get into the port last year.

nickjb
    Free Member

We normally take the ferry. We have to stop somewhere and that is as good a place as any. Food is ok. Bit more interesting and part of the journey. Tunnel is faster for just going a to b and makes sense if you start near Kent and don’t need a break.

Stoner
    Free Member
    ElShalimo

We’re driving down from West Yorkshire so the Hull Zeebrugge ferry is the safe bet but its nearly £200 more. Ouch

atlaz
    Free Member

Tunnel for me. Did it about a dozen times in a year a few years back. Wouldn’t do a Dover ferry again

jekkyl

where is your final destination?

timidwheeler

Used the tunnel on the 4th July at about 2100 – No problems. Staff said the issues were only after dark. This was at the height of the problems. We arrived early and were offered an earlier crossing. Big fans of the tunnel.

Marin
    Free Member

Tunnel for me now every time. Did Liverpool to Les Arcs first time I used it. Quicker trip through, get past Calais, chill out in France for a rest.

ElShalimo

Jekyll – the Vosges for a few days, then Jura. Lots of walking, cycling and hopefully lots of eating & drinking

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I’m just back from France. The outward crossing from Dover to Dunkirk with DFDS was straightforward last Monday. The return leg was a nightmare. Miles of trucks on the run into Dunkirk. We ended up driving on the opposing carriageway, crossing a roundabout whilst being waved on by the gendarmerie. Check in took the best part of an hour, the border control took about the same despite being about twenty car lengths from check in.

The return fare was cheap, £56, booked only a few days before departure.

I enjoy the ferry as it allows a break in the journey as the driver. It’s a thousand miles door to door. Food on board isn’t too bad.

I’ve travelled on the really late night / early morning ferries. They are perhaps the best. The roads to and from the ports are deserted and you can get your head down for a couple of hours.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I haven’t taken Dover Calais ferry since the tunnel opened. We go through 6 or 7 times a year. It’s all round more convenient.

onehundredthidiot

Drive to Folkestone tomorrow, tunnel Wednesday, will be on site wed pm. Tesco club card points made it almost free.

Stoner
    Free Member

just booked the Dover>Calais ferry for a week today. £20 “free” grub voucher with which to feed mini-Stoners. Will consider the tunnel for the return leg at the end of August.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Channel Tunnel or ferry??’ is closed to new replies.