• This topic has 14 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by si77.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Channel Crossing with Dogs/cabins – Where can i go?
  • Killer
    Free Member

Ok wonderful world of wisdom that is STW.
    We’re looking to take our doggy to France (Britanny / West cost) for the first time soon, self isolation if necessary upon our return.
    We’ve done all the passport type things and are all sorted in that regard, but we’re struggling to work out how best to get ourselves off the island.
    she doesn’t like being left alone for any amount of time (even less than 30mins), so 5 hrs in the car by herself will be too much stress (also for me, with the SO worrying)
    So we’re thinking either the Eurotunnel and doing the ridiculous drive across countries, or try and find a ferry that does dog friendly cabins. However it seems next to impossible to work out which crossings or companies, or boats offer this. The only advice I’ve got so far is that it is boat specific – so even the same crossing, depending on which boat you get you may or not be able to get a dog cabin.

What advice, or experiences has STW had in this area?
    which crossings should I be aiming for ?

ElShalimo

Phone Brittany Ferries

tuboflard

We’re meant to be doing exactly this route in September. Brittany Ferries from Portsmouth to Caen / Ouistreham. Cabin booked for exactly the same reason too for the pooch.

kormoran
    Free Member

Hi we have done all the crossing options with the dog apart from the dog in cabin option. Best by far is the eurotunnel, very quick and easy and well set up. Best ferry is the harwich-hook, the dog goes in a kennel but can be visited and also watched on cctv in your cabin. Again well set up for travellers with dogs. All the other options are ghastly and we would avoid using again. Dogs alone in containers, limited access etc. Our dog is nails but did not enjoy overnighting in a box of scared howling pups.
    For us it’s very hard to look past the tunnel, even coming from Scotland.
    Re passport and vets, get everything nailed down before you get to the return port. I have seen several dogs refused boarding due to incorrect paperwork/vet signature etc confirming worming treatments prior to return. Find a vet on the web near your holiday, book an appointment within the time frame allowed as soon as you arrive. On the day take a saucisson to hide the tablet in. We usually take our own tablet( bactoban) which saves buying at vet prices. If it helps write out in french or whatever what you need done so theres no misunderstanding. Dont be surprised if the dog gets fully examined including up the bum thermometer and dental hygene check. We have paid anything from 20 to 40 euro for the treatment and passport stamp. Oh and take a small nylon muzzle, very handy

willard

Harwich to Hook of Holland on Stena(?).

When I moved over here that is the way I went. Not exactly the Channel though…

llama

Nervous dog = tunnel

Plus I’d rather sit in my own car than a cabin/shared space at the moment given the choice

llama

The other thing about the tunnel is on the return the animal check is drive through. They hand you the scanner through the window, you beep the dog, they check your passport, then off you go. Takes 5 minutes.

ebygomm
    Free Member

*Harwich to Hook of Holland on Stena

No pets in cabins allowed, dog kennels available (which you can watch on TV but presumably not much use for OP)

kormoran
    Free Member

I just remembered an incident on the dover calais ferry where the dog had to be in the car the whole time It was crazy hot so once we loaded we stood the dog by the boot to cool down. The deck hand went mental, that dog must remain in the vehicle etc etc. We ignored him till the dog was cool, then left everything open for the crossing but its worth thinking about crossing times if its likely to be during warm weather

Twodogs

We’re looking to take our doggy to France (Britanny / West cost) for the first time soon, self isolation if necessary upon our return.

Bear in mind that if they impose quarantine restrictions this week on people coming from France (as reported widely..whether correctly who knows?!), that will be accompanied by FCO saying “essential travel only” (as the did for Belgium, Andorra)…you may no longer be insured

andyl
    Free Member

always wanted to get the ferry down to northern spain and then road trip it back (was the plan for this year) but dog cabins sell out fast and the trip itself is £££.

First time abroad we just took the tunnel, next time we have a caravan so got a ferry. Went over night so at least the dog was cooler and would sleep through it. Chose a nice short route to Caen and the way back was early morning Cherbourg to Poole.

If you are not dead set on aborad then you could always do Isle of wight and take the dog up to the doggy deck instead.

giantmtb
    Free Member

Tunnel every time. It may be a longer drive but the dog with thank you for it. It rather be in a car with its owner rather than in a car for hours in a dark under water deck on its own.

Once you are at the other side you can stop as often as you like to let him out for toilet etc.

RustyNissanPrairie

Tunnel every time with doggo, before Bert we have returned to the ferry car deck with pretty much every car alarm going off and petrified dogs inside them (can’t remember which line) but it was Dover/Calais.

Here’s Bert on his doughnut snoozing merrily whilst under the English Channel!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

No kennels nearby? Seems to be loads of folk that take dogs into their homes for such circumstances too.

si77

I don’t have a dog, but if I did I would definitely use the tunnel. Don’t worry about the extra driving, as it’ll all be on the French side, which is generally pleasurable compared to driving in the UK. Brittany’s not really that far. Plus you can stop whenever you like, to let it take a dump.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Channel Crossing with Dogs/cabins – Where can i go?’ is closed to new replies.