Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Chaninsawerists
  • aphex_2k
    Free Member

Specifically with a McCulloch 4218

I’ve replaced the chain and attempting to put the brake mechanism / tensioner back on. The instructions tell me to press the tension lever down to install, attach the brake on, tighten up a bit and release the tensioner, and voila. Except… The tensioner part is probs about 8mm away from the chain and adds no tension at all. I’ve gone over the instructions a million times to the point where I’m probably reading so hard and missing something.

Anyone got a 4218 that’s done this and got it all working again?

castanea
    Free Member

Not sure about this model of saw per say but it shouldn’t be too difficult.

Is the chain tensioner screw, part of the side casing or part of the saw body? Is the pin part of this located in the hole in the bar. Is the side cover going on fully? If you’ve pulled the chain brake on then it won’t seat onto the clutch drum properly when you try to refit.

Pics would help.

mucker

I’ve had a look at the PDF manual online and the only thing I can see that would hinder your progress would be if you has not followed step 4, ie.
    “4. Align arrows by pressing tensioning le-
    ver down to install position (see illustra-
    tion). Remove chain brake from saw.”

I’m not familiar with this system, looks like a spring loaded tensioner which pushes the bar from the end rather than a pin on a screw thread.
    Can only suggest you make sure when you push the tension lever back to the install position (arrows align) the bar pusher goes back as well.
    Best of luck.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    geoffj

If you have no look on here, get onto the chainsaw forum on Arbtalk – Spud will probably be able to sort you out.

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/chainsaws/

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Brake off, all lined up. Stupid design. Chain tensioner needed a small flat blade to push it behind the bar / pin before it would fully engage. It was letting me tighten up the brake much but the spring loaded tensioner wasn’t fitting into place. Looking at a few youtube clips I wished I’d gave done more research. Why they chose a lever slider to adjust the tension, which actually doesn’t do that much at all… What’s wrong with a single screw or thumb screw tension adjuster like most do.

Oh well. New chain fitted and I’ll give it a bit if a run in before I go attacking any more trees.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Ah crap. just took apart a new one at a local hardware store and mine’s deffo buggered. Got an appt at 2pm with the neighbour and gotta make a quick trip to the local McCulloch repair centre and hope they can fit me in today. Pants!!!!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Chaninsawerists’ is closed to new replies.