Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Changing wheel bearings.
  • mactheknife

I have slowly but surely been learning how to fix, mend and build up most things on my bike over time. I still have a long way to go but i have recently realised my front pro2 hubs have some play in them and its probably worth getting the bearings replaced.

So in the spirit of doing things myself i looked online. Then promptly decided the wheel was going to the shop.

So, is it actually worth buying the tools and investing my time for what is probably a quick job to a shop?

z1ppy

You don’t need the tools to change Hope wheel bearings, but like all jobs like that, they make it easier.
    I wouldn’t even think of taking my hopes to a shop to have that done, it part of the reason I buy them, and I’m a mechanical numbty

mactheknife

zippy, im a bit of a mechanical numpty which is why youtube is my friend.

I watched a few vids with an array of tools and had that instant thought. NOT FOR ME 🙂

z1ppy

Try this guide instead, yes it’s for a Hope XC hub, but the Pro II is basically the same, just different bearings (and pawls but you know what I mean)

mactheknife

Nice one, Ill give it a bash 😀

What could possibly go wrong.

z1ppy

Pro II guide just use sockets that fit the outer race of the bearing instead of the Hope tools, and support the hub with a couple of bits of wood, when needed.

banks
    Free Member

or this one http://www.cyclistno1.co.uk/features/maintenance/hope-pro-ii-rear-hub-service.htm

yes i know it’s for the rear but should show how easy it is!

stevious

I managed to do front & rear on mine. The front was so easy it’s not even funny. Can you hit things with a hammer? You can change those bearings.

The rear should have been easy but the bearings were completely seized to the axles so bigger hammers and some replacement parts were needed.

Northwind

The tools are a little bit of a red herring. Pro 2s basically need 2 things- things to hit, and things to hit them with. The Hope tools just make things really straightforward but I use sockets, as I have loads of sockets, other folks use wooden drifts, old bearings, etc.

The only thing is, it’s got some possibility for screwing up- you can damage the hub if you get a bearing in squint enough (or hammer one out squint enough) and it’s also possible to damage hte new bearings as you fit them.

mactheknife

Right, I’m all over this 😀 luckily its my front that has developed the play so I’m not going into the deep end straight away.

Regarding grease. I use Prep m for my turner journal bearings. Is this suitable for regreasing or should i use some other type??

bigjim

hammer in, hammer out, simples. I did buy the tools as I don’t have a socket set.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Changing wheel bearings.’ is closed to new replies.