Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Changing the ratchet on a Pro 2
  • Aidan
    Free Member

Anyone changed the ratchet on a Hope Pro 2?

I believe it’s possible, but can’t find any tips on doing so on the internet. My next move would be to ring Hope, but I was hoping for a simple guide with pictures 🙂

Anthony
    Free Member

I suspect it may have to go back to Hope. IIRC the racthet ring is theaded into the hub, so a) it will be flipping tight and b) you have nothing to twist it with.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Back to hope I think. Why do you need to change it?

steveh

I’ve not done it to a pro 2 but had it done to a couple of bulbs. It’s a hope only job and you must send a whole wheel not just a hub as they need the leverage.

mk1fan
    Free Member

Do you mean the freewheel that the cassette slides on to?

That just held on with the pushed on end cap. Very simple to get off but a ball-ache as it’s an intetionally tight fit. MBR did a strip down in their Workshop Section three months ago. Mail me at mk1fan@aol.com and I’ll send you a pdf of it. They used an XC hub but I did three Pro II’s over the weekend and it’s the same.

The teeth the freewheel works against are machined into the hub body though.

ETA took me an hour to strip, clean and reassembly the three hubs.

Aidan
    Free Member

No, I really mean the ratchet. I couldn’t afford to change my bearings so I kept riding when they went wobbly.

Then the bearing cartridge in the freehub shattered leaving bits of metal to gouge the pawls, ratchet and freehub body to pieces. I swapped in a new freehub body from another bike and it mostly worked, but still jams occasionally. Rather than busting another freehub, I decided I should replace everything.

Sounds like it’s going back to Hope, then.

valley
    Free Member

I Did the same on a Hope Xc hub sent back to Hope ,it was 3years old so no warranty came back with New ratchet ring ,spring,pawl’s & bearing’s including postage for Under £35 excellent & quick turnaround 😀

mk1fan
    Free Member

If the sprung pawls that sit in the freewheel body are broken then you can get these as spares from Hope.

If the freewheel body that the sprung pawls sit in is broken then you can get this as a spare from Hope – although if I read your post correctly you have this.

If the ratchet is broken then this is also available (part number hub518) but I don’t see how it’s fixed in place. It may well be a ‘proper’ press fitting so returning the wheel to Hope maybe your only option.

Not wanting to sound condescending but have you spoken to Hope? They’ve always been very helpful to me when I’ve rang them. And you would’ve got a quicker answer to your question.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Changing the ratchet on a Pro 2’ is closed to new replies.