Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Changing Solaris to 27.5+
  • jamcorse

Has anyone done this? Original Solaris.

If so, we’re you happy? Sounds like a fun way to reach n+1 and I’ve got some spare hubs and an order with LB (Chinese carbon wheels)so what’s another pair of rims and some spokes?

dazh

Bump.

I’ve been thinking about this too. I had a look a while back and couldn’t find anywhere selling the tyres.

NormalMan

I’m pretty sure there is a guy over on bearbones bikepacking site that has done it.

Might be worth a search. I had a Solaris thread on there a few weeks back. (Different username)

jamcorse

Thanks, everything that I can find tells me that it’s possible, esp with 25mm (internal width) rims, though some say that 45mm rims are fine on the front. I am looking at 30mm rims and hope that I get enough clearance on the back.

Dazh, you are right, tyres seems to be hard to come by and WTB 2.8 Trailblazers seem to be the safest bet and what Cotic themselves have been trialling.

dalesjoe
    Free Member

So has anyone got round to trying this? I’m curious but at £600 it ain’t cheap! Truth be told I’ve a hankering for a full on fat bike. But having never tried one I’m unsure how I’d find it long term. Wondering if sticking a set of fatter wheels on my Solaris might be a better compromise or just a gimmick?

NormalMan

@dalesjoe – would you keep the Solaris as well as a fat bike?
    I have a Solaris and like it a lot. But was very fat curious. I ended up being loaned one for a weekend and I was bitten by the bug. I’d recommend trying a fat bike first to see how you get on.

scotroutes

That. A true 4″/5″ fatbike is a lot different to a B+, especially one in which compromises have been made to accommodate tight clearances.

dalesjoe
    Free Member

Cheers for the link Bregante. Normalman, the idea was it would be cheaper to stick fatter wheels on the Cotic rather than buy a full on FB. But, Scotroutes just hit the nail on the head, it would be a compromise.

Really I need to try a fatbike properly I reckon. If I end up loving it then buying one would be justified. I think I just worry about the reality/gimmick factor of owning a fat bike once the new bike shine wears off. Been ‘fat curious’ for a while! Might try and hunt down a demo bike.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Changing Solaris to 27.5+’ is closed to new replies.