Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Changing my website hosting.
  • doug_basqueMTB.com

Hi guys, I was just looking for a bit of advice. It’s time to renew my website hosting. I’m currently wtih One.com, they’re OK with decent support but I’ve had a few issues recently with downtime and I think it could be faster. Most my visits are UK with Central Europe and the USA making up a reasonable percentage if that makes a difference. I don’t mind paying a bit, not a huge ammount, but want it to be fast and reliable. I host a fair few pictures and regularly blog with photos so it’s quite a lot of data.

I’ve done all the searching but it seems like all the review sites are far from impartial. From searching on here I’m looking at Aegis or TSOhost.

Anyone used any of the above? Any other recommendations?

Any help is very much appreciated!

leffeboy

If speed is your main issue and your content is largely static then you could try playing with Cloudflare. The have a free service which might do.

kcr
    Free Member

I use TSOhost for 4 non-commercial sites. In my experience they have been very reliable, they always reply very promptly to support questions, and the hosting costs are very reasonable, so no complaints from me.

creamegg
    Free Member

TSO host here too

stevomcd
    Free Member

Doug – we use Yahoo! Small Business for hosting, email, etc.

Reasonable prices, think I’ve noticed the site down once in 5 years and never once had to call their support.

24hr support, but it is in the US.

doug_basqueMTB.com

Thanks for the help so far guys. I’ll have a look at the Yahoo one Steve, thanks for that. Cloud drive looks interesting so far.

No one use Aegis then? I’d have thought with the mountain bike names for the packages it would be popular!

butcher

With cheaper hosting it’s hit and miss because you’ll be on a shared server, and you don’t know who you’re sharing that server with. So even if one person has had great experiences it doesn’t necesarilly mean you will too.

atlaz
    Free Member

Doug – If you want my “professional” opinion (been in the industry for years), drop me a line and I’ll give you my advice. Personally I use Site5.com for my sites and have been very happy with them so I think you could do far worse (inevitable affiliate link: http://www.site5.com/in.php?id=69397 )

That said if you want something in a specific physical location I can recommend something I’m sure. Or even do a deal with you 😉

motox2k
    Free Member

I have used 1and1 for years and never had any issues, price is good also.

bluebird
    Free Member

Catalyst2. Very good ISP and helpful when it does go wrong.

doug_basqueMTB.com

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Much appreciated. I’m going to have a look and when I’ve got my mind a bit clearer might give you a shout atlaz. Cheers!

P.S. Sorry about the wrong forum.

xiphon
    Free Member

Unless you get a private server, every hosting package will be on ‘shared platform’.

When I say ‘shared’ we’re talking 20,000+ sites on ONE physical server.

leffeboy

Possibly 20,000. My experience is about 400 and the site still loads fine. Will depend on how much you are paying of course but we don’t pay much at all.

motox2k
    Free Member

20000 or 400, check the SLA with the provider and you will be fine.

faz083
    Free Member

TSOHOST every time! 3 minute response to email on Christmas eve says it all about customer service and resolution to dissatisfaction (unlikely).

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

More Kudos for TSOhost~ speedy, reliable, good support and prices

DickBarton

Im an aegis fan…have had 6 sites through them…longest been around 10 years. In that time I think the site has been properly down 3 times…last week was longest down of 1 full day and patchy for another 2 days.

Cheap and very reliable in my opinion.

peterfile
    Free Member

another vote for TSO host.

they reply to emails within the hour (although generally within about 15 mins!), which is a real selling point. Their support staff are also knowledgable.

no issues from my end in terms of relibility etc.

I used 123reg before tsohost. I wouldn’t wish them on anyone

atlaz
    Free Member

In terms of volume of sites per single server, 20k is pushing it but it depends on architecture. My former employer had hundreds of thousands of sites on a massively clustered environment which, when correctly maintained, ran like a dream.

DT78
    Free Member

Bit of an assumption here, I don’t think we are talking corporate sized site…. Probably a site which attracts punters to th ops holiday business and takes bookings at a guess. Which case above suggestions should be fine….

phil.w
    Free Member

No one use Aegis then?

I do, as one of a few. And will most likely eventually end up being the only one.

xiphon
    Free Member

Back when I worked for an ISP, we had about 20-25k static sites on Apache 1.3, and dual Pentium 3 / 4GB RAM servers.

Dynamic .NET sites were around 10k per box, on IIS6, similar hardware spec.

Dynamic LAMP sites were around 15k per box, on Apache 1.3.

Certainly an impressive technical feat…

OP – a cloud based shared platform might be what you’re after.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Changing my website hosting.’ is closed to new replies.