Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Changing my frame – a first timer!
  • autobarn
    Free Member

I’m looking at changing the frame on my 2006 GT avalanche 1.0 to something slightly smaller and better looking. Will still be a HT. What pitfalls may come up as I transfer parts from one to the other?

float
    Free Member

the seattube might be a different diameter, needing a new front derailleur. same with seat clamp as the seat tube wall thickness might change.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Disk brakes. Are the hoses long enough.?
    Seat post.
    Seat clamp.
    BB width.
    one piece gear cable outers.?

richen987
    Free Member

fork steerer length may be too short for new frame

flyingmonkeycorps

You weren’t riding up Screaming Mile by Ladybower on Sunday were you?

autobarn
    Free Member

Is it worth looking at frames with the same cable lay? Currently runs underneath the top tube (exposed).

What about the width of the head tube, does that differ much between makes?

🙂

autobarn
    Free Member

@flyingmonkeycorps – unfortunately not. I was out riding but down south!

tragically1969
    Free Member

As a minumum i would budget for:

New Cables, not worth messing with
    New Headset, you could put the same one back in but might as well go new

You may possible need:

New seatpost, wrong size and\or length
    New Bottom bracket, without knowing whta type your BB is its hard to say
    New front mech, wrong band diameter
    New Chain, not long enough
    New Stem, wrong length

If you are really unlucky you might need a new fork as the steerer may be too short.

flyingmonkeycorps

Just wondered ‘cos we chatted to a chap with an oldish Avalanche that was thinking about changing it!

Headtube could be a different standard too, by the way.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

As above and budget for a new headset – my Avalanche has an unusual type of headset (“oversized” iirc).

If still on the original BB you may now want to get an external / HT type (or buy the tool to get the orininal out if its the same width).

You’ll most likely need new cables (inners & outers) due to different runs / routing.

The front derailleur may need a different type (eg bottom pull).

Edit – too slow!

uwe-r
    Free Member

I had an 07 Avalanche until it was stolen, it was a nice bike and i would suggest that you might need to spend more than you think to upgrade to anything lighter / stronger. By the time you have bought a new frame and replaced the essentials it might cost more than a new bike.

imp999
    Free Member

Its the frame angles that worry me when I am changing, building stuff up – components can be changed.
    I can’t stand that feeling of the front wheel tucked back behind the bars that you used to get with older bikes – even with a shorter stem( un-slack head angle?).

autobarn
    Free Member

sounds like it may be easier and cheaper to just get whole new bike!

foxyrider
    Free Member

Done it several times. Here are the things I had to sort:

Seat Clamp
    Seat Tube
    Head tube height + new headset vs steerer length
    Front Mech clamp size
    Re-cabling and brake hose routing
    Stem length

The BB with should be fine but worth making sure…….

autobarn
    Free Member

@foxyrider – does one you’ve put together yourself feel as good as one that comes out of a shop?

ssboggy

You can always buy/sell/swap the bits that don’t fit on the classifieds, thats what i’ve done in the past to cut down on costs when swapping frames

I_Ache
    Free Member

The headset is likely to be different dont modern GTs have internal headsets?

autobarn
    Free Member

what would be the most expensive part that most commonly needs replacing (apart from forks)?

autobarn
    Free Member

@I_Ache – I think my GT has the internal headset. Is that just GT who do internal one?

takisawa2

Just buy whatever you want & worry about it afterwards. 🙂
    (My usual approach).
    You’ll likely need a new headset as the GT has a semi-integrated type. Fork steerer length possibly might be an issue, but I doubt it. They run a couple of spacers IIRC. Seat-post size is 27.2, probably the most common there is. Clamp is 31.8 I think, again pretty common size. Sticking new cables on isnt going to cost more than a fiver.

And get an Inbred.

foxyrider
    Free Member

@foxyrider – does one you’ve put together yourself feel as good as one that comes out of a shop?

I think better as you can’t get a Kinesis XCPro3 already built 😉

I can quite honestly say its the best bike I have had 🙂

At least I know it has been built by a first class mechanic 😉 LOL – seriously I love building bikes (unfortunately) – I made sure the frame was the right size and geom. But the best thing was I could choose exactly what things I wanted on it unless I re-used stuff which I did mostly 🙂

uwe-r
    Free Member

If anyone spots my 07 Avalanche (it had a Marzocchi bomber fork upgarde) can they let me know.

autobarn
    Free Member

@foxyrider – nice bike, you have inspired me to build my own!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Changing my frame – a first timer!’ is closed to new replies.