Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Changing Groupset.
  • bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Currently have a mixture of SRAM X4 and X3 and wanting to change it as it sounds really knackered and looks like it will only last a few more months max Its 8 speed and I’m thinking of changing it to either 2X9 or 2×10 with a bashguard.
    Which would be better and most cost effective Shimano or SRAM. Riding is mainly XC and trail centres.

smell_it
    Free Member

Is you on crack?

Edit – nice edit 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What do you want to change and how much money do you have?

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Haha I pressed enter and it posted prematurely!

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Want to change everything it’s all bollocksed! And fit a bash guard. I left the bike to rot since December and even after cleaning and lubing I can tell its gonna munch itself.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

there are Sram Haterz and Shimano Haterz….

SRAM at X9 up is nice, I like it and prefer it to Shimano. There will be some 9sp deals out there.

As for bash, google chain ring injuries – I prefer one for chain retention and not mashing my legs

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

X7 is more my price range I think. Bike was only 300 quid.

smell_it
    Free Member

X7 is probably over dressing a 300£ bike ime; x5, some ‘on offer’ cranks and cassette and get riding. I popped an x5 rear mech on my rather hotch potch Soul as i had one in the spares box, works fine, mid cage to suit the 2×10 setup. My intention had been to upgrade on pay day, but 6 months later it’s still going working a treat.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

A mean I would like to keep this current bike as I don’t think my riding needs more than a xc Hardtail (Carrera Vulcan 2009) and it has Mavic xm 317 rims, deore disc brakes and a Tora Sl fork. But just looking to make it a bit lighter and ride nice.

JoeG
    Free Member

Shimano or SRAM mainly comes down to personal preference.

I would recommend that you go 10 speed and get a clutch rear derailleur. That’s “Shadow Plus” in Shimano speak and “Type 2” in SRAM speak. Shimano has the clutch available in SLX; not sure about Deore or how far the clutch has trickled down the SRAM side.

I still have 8 speed on my full suspension bike. I built a new fatbike over the winter and went 2×10. It is fantastic! Now I gotta find the money to upgrade the full suspension bike!

remoterob
    Free Member

I don’t think going for 2×10 will make your bike lighter because your budget means that you are probably looking at the heaviest cassettes.

Ignoring that possible issue, Merlin sell the Deore Disc groupset for £250. You could sell the brakes and chainset on, then buy the chain rings to suit a 2×10 setup.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

It doesn’t have to be 2×10 just looking at the options. Just want to upgrade from the current 3×8 and get a bash guard to protect my legs.

lunge

I’m a Shimano lover so will always suggest you go in that direction, in my eyes SRAM is good at the hgh end but lower down the scale Shimano is better.

From a pure value perspective you will struggle to beat Deore, as posted above, £250 get you the complete groupset from Merlin (it may be cheaper in the German shops if you look around). Deore works well, looks pretty good and will feel like a good upgrade over X3. If you can find a few more pounds then SLX really is very good, lighter then Deore and will last a little longer in thoery.

And don’t worry about 2×10 too much, if you can’t find a specific 2 ring crank in a price you like just buy the standard 3 speed one and swap the big ring for a bash guard.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Was going to ask about deore would it be worth upgrading my current Deore M535 discs to the newer ones? Also as I’m not mechanically minded how much would a lbs charge me swap it all over? And one last thing, would I notice any significant gains going from Rockshox Tora Sl (coil) to a Air fork?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Changing Groupset.’ is closed to new replies.