Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Changing gas fire for a real fire.
  • Bushwacked
    Free Member

I’ve got one of those coal effect gas fires in my living room and I’m thinking of swapping it out for a real fire.

Looks like it just needs disconecting and then the fire removing and replacing with the bits to hold the real coal / logs and off we go.

But is it really as easy as that? Any idea of cost?

In case you are wondering why we are thinking of swapping the gas one doesn’t give out any worthwhile heat – more decorative than functional.

the-muffin-man

You’ll probably need a new chimney pot as well as I understand the metal chimney cowls used for gas fires aren’t suitable for real fires.

jova54
    Free Member

As a starter you’ll need to make sure your chimney flue doesn’t leak. Having carbon monoxide leaking into your bedroom is not recommended. You will probably need to get it swept and checked for blockages too.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    the-muffin-man

Oh and the gas pipe needs capping-off well away from the real fire for obvious reasons!!

Del

to do it properly you’ll most likely need a liner, back plate, and someone proper to install it, or at least an inspection after. consider a multi fuel or wood burning stove – more money to start but much more efficient and you don’t have a big hole to let the heat out of the room when you’re not using it. whatever you decide it needs to be done right or you’ll burn your house down and the insurance won’t pay.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

WIll get the local bloke round to have a look and give me an estimate.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Changing gas fire for a real fire.’ is closed to new replies.