• This topic has 8 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by D0NK.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Changing from a 28 tooth to a 32 tooth chainring
  • oikeith

Sorry for the simple question, I did search the internet but couldn’t find a related answer.

Got a new bike that runs a 28tooth front sprocket and a 10-42 on the rear. I am looking to go back to a 32 on the front as I had on my old bike, will I need to add any links to the chain?

The bikes new so I dont have any spare links for it, so if I do need to add links a new chain would be needed, which I am hoping to avoid!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Sram I think said the 11sp could go 2t up or down without altering the chain so it really depends how it’s been trimmed.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Is that existing 28T 64BCD?

If so, biggest ring you can replace it with is 30T, IIRC.

32T ring would require 104BCD option of crank.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    oikeith

n0b0dy0ftheg0at – Member

If so, biggest ring you can replace it with is 30T, IIRC.

32T ring would require 104BCD option of crank.

No, sorry should have mentioned its the raceface cinch system.

nickc

what bike? (more specifically), what wheel size?

oikeith

nickc – Member
    what bike? (more specifically), what wheel size?

The bike is a 2017 Specalized Enduro with the big ol wagon wheels that are 29! 🙂

nickc

bear in mind it will be like going from 32t to 34t on a 26″ bike.

I’d probably fit a new chain rather than muck about with extra links if I was replacing the chain-ring, and depending on how old the cassette is, change that as well.

andyl
    Free Member

Buy a spare chain and make the correct length. Add the left over links to your old chain and alternate between them. Much better way to manage your drivetrain wear.

D0NK

I am looking to go back to a 32 on the front as I had on my old bike, will I need to add any links to the chain?

was your old bike the same wheel size/type and running the same cassette?

apologies if you know this already but if your old bike was a 26er and you’re now on 29+ the swap may leave you with rather tall gearing. Plenty of gear calculator apps around to check.

If so, biggest ring you can replace it with is 30T, IIRC.I thought BCD only limited the smallest ring you could put on, bigger is fine. Sure enough manufacturers aren’t likely to make a 53t 64bcd ring but I’d have though 32/34 rings would be available.

<edit> oh and good luck, cinch was easy to swap over but getting the cranks off was a job and a half, mrs stood on the crank arm, me stood on the long allen key, CRACK! as it undid. Maybe no grease/antiseize when fitted, dunno, worried me tho.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Changing from a 28 tooth to a 32 tooth chainring’ is closed to new replies.