Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Changing Forks on a Fisher Roscoe?
  • sheck

Anyone done it? Fancy something a bit burlier on the front end, confident the back end is stiff enough. Obvious concern is the impact of moving away from the bespoke offset steerer G2 geometry. Any experiences out there?

el_creedo
    Free Member

I was discussing this with my LBS, who are GF stockists, they reckon if you bung a standard crowned fork with 10mm more travel than the 140mm ones that it comes with, it should have the same effect.

This ties in nicely with you wanting something burlier up front!

sheck

Creedo thanks, that's helpful, who was the lbs?
    Anyone actually done such a thing?

_foxie_
    Free Member

i'd disagree with the lbs… g2 is all about the relationship between the front wheel axle and the steerer centre and it's effect on the handling. having it offset further forward gives great leverage on the wheel direction therefore making the steering feel lighter and faster. this is why g2 works so well on 29ers.

Sticking a longer travel fork will just slacken the head angle, and coupled with reduced offset on a conventional fork, it would negatively effect the handling (unless you're pointing downhill of course). I'd be surprised if it improved the bike at all, even with a stiffer front end.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

By burlier do you mean longer travel or stiffer?

glenp
    Free Member

Given that the Roscoe is an absolutely rock-solid, stable feeling ride I don't quite get the point of this? Is it just that the fork looks a bit weedy compared to the big frame? No way does the bike need to be slacker – it already takes a fair bit of deliberate throwing around to get it to turn.

I thought the Roscoe was truly excellent when I had a go on one – felt like it was impossible to fall off. Very little to none suspension bob either – very impressive for such a big bike.

Chevin
    Free Member

Forget the fact I'm a Gary Fisher Dealer and owner……

Having ridden a Fisher 29er that was built for G2 with a none G2 fork fitted, don't do it! It becomes a slow handling bike again and looses all the sharpness to the steering.

Matthew

sheck

All, thanks for the feedback

My question is actually driven by the fact that the Roscoe is possibly more bike than I need for my local riding. I'm therefore thinking about getting a shorter travel bike, but am worried that it might be a bit similar to the Roscoe – hence the "Would a Roscoe work with something like 36s on the front?" question – my aim would be to make it noticeably different from said shorter travel bike

I may be better thinking about investing in lighter wheels for the Roscoe for local riding and/or getting a hardtail. Alternatively I may conclude that I need a 120mm bike and get shot – but I'm reluctant to do this, as I have absolutely no complaints with the Fisher whatsoever

el_creedo
    Free Member

Yeah – I must admit, I rode a Roscoe 2 when they first came out, loved it, and I ride a Five normally.

I'd say build it lighter (new wheels and tyres) and ride it harder, for everything. It's all the bike most people will ever need!

The 2 were a comparable weight (my five a tad lighter with Floats and less bombproof wheels), solid as anything (had the Talas 32's on with QR15) and I rode faster on it on my first ride than I had ridden the Five for a while, up and down Dartmoor! very confidence inspiring.

Jumps like a beast too!

My only complaint – it creaked!

I could've bought the demo bike for a very, very reasonable price, and would swap the Five for it, if…there wasn't the issue with the forks, which a) makes changing it a mare, and b) makes the bike impossible to split and sell on, which knocks the re-sale value.

glenp
    Free Member

You have no complaints about the bike, save for a nagging doubt that it should be 20mm shorter in travel? Er – what? Stop worrying about it! Stick some slightly smaller tyres on it if you want it to feel slightly more nimble – stock Roscoe tyres a blimin' massive. Otherwise, why worry?

Great bike. You like it. Just ride. Problem solved!

el_creedo
    Free Member

Stock Roscoe tyres are the worst tyres I've ever seen, refused to ride them when I tested it!
    Moto-x bikes have narrower tyres ffs!

glenp
    Free Member

Agree they look funny – but they ain't for looking at, they're for riding!

Having said that I did finish my ride wondering what the bike would be like with my favourite "normal" tyres on.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Changing Forks on a Fisher Roscoe?’ is closed to new replies.