• This topic has 45 replies, 36 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Crag.
Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Changing energy supplier – Big six or small fish?
  • concrete24
    Free Member

We went with Igloo last year after 25 years with British Gas. They weren’t the absolute cheapest – but were very competitive with a good customer service record. Also, they pay interest on any balance – better than my savings account!

The switchover was effortless, the website or app is easy to use and that’s all you need really.

Prices went up a bit in the year – but have just gone down again – so they seem to play fair. Main thing is I have saved more than £500 moving from British Gas – wish I had done it years ago!

grtdkad

“wonder who some of their investors or parent companies are (or will be when they’re bought out)“

…that’s literally the million dollar question in the industry right now. Take your pick and hope for the best, the general gist is all of your supplies are below cost at the moment, whether it’s from the big-6 (about to become the big-5) or the start ups.
    The new cos, tend to be either venture capital backed who will be hoping that they can ride-out the current “meltdown” in the market or high net worth individuals using the uk market losses as a Tax right off.

grtdkad

Just got to note that there has been 14 of the small suppliers fail since 2018 vs just one in the previous 20+ years.

Since the beginning of March Ofgem have stopped two others from taking on new customers and acknowledged that they will have to improve the vetting and general due diligence in the future before they’re awarded supply licences. The small businesses currently don’t have to pay all of the levies that the big-6 have to cover and even with that concession they small guys still owe over £40million to the central Renewable Obligation pot. There’s a few culprits clearly just not paying their dues.

And as each supplier fails, certain elements of their unpaid bills get bundled up and “mutualised” across the surviving companies, ultimately increasing the risk of the domino effect of supplier failures.
    I reckon 50% of the newcos should be okay, others opportunists hoping to make a buck and the balance run by a bunch of halfwits and crooks.
    Ofgem currently not in control.

mikejd

others opportunists hoping to make a buck and the balance run by a bunch of halfwits and crooks.
    Ofgem currently not in control.

+1 this.

Weasel
    Free Member

Scottish Power have been the worst company I’ve ever dealt with in my life.

A company called Lowri Beck took 2 months with a total of 5 appointments, 3 of which were cancelled over to swap my meters over. Once my meters were swapped at the end of November last year, Scottish Power still have me on the wrong contract, claim the gas meter wasn’t even swapped over – I sent photos of it with the install date sticker on the front, and they changed my direct debit plan for no reason whatsoever.

Any complaints go to India where they just email you back a summary of your complaint in parrot fashion and say they are looking into it. I’ve given them till Friday until I go to Ofgem to sort this out, I am so glad my contract expires next month.

Crag
    Free Member

Think I’m gonna make the switch to Bulb. Any one got a referral code??

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Changing energy supplier – Big six or small fish?’ is closed to new replies.