• This topic has 45 replies, 36 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Crag.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Changing energy supplier – Big six or small fish?
  • seadog101

Faulty Electric meter saga

So, EDF are being single handedly useless at sorting out the problem with the meter, and seem to be doing all they can not to resolve the matter. I won’t bore you with the details, but the complaints process is a joke.

Once we have sorted this out we will be changing supplier. I’ve had a hunt around and none of the Big Six get anywhere near the customer satisfaction of the newer smaller companies.

Who would STWers reccomend? Octopus seem to be the flavour od the month.

https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/energy-companies/article/best-and-worst-energy-companies/which-energy-survey-results

houndlegs
    Free Member

Sign up to Moneysavingexpert’s Cheap Energy Club and have a look what they have.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cheapenergyclub

Rob_S
    Free Member

I’ve been with Bulb for about a year now with no issues.
    They send an e-mail each month asking for reading, I return the readings and they work out the bill.

If you miss sending the readings back then they estimate and you continue paying the same monthly amount.

I can post up the referal link if you like & we both get £50 if you sign up with them!

andylc
    Free Member

I have also changed recently to Bulb and very impressed with the communication and efficiency, and supposedly it’s greener than my previous supplier so it’s all good!

nickc

I’m with Ovo, they seem not to be idiotic

Drac

I switched to Bulb about 2 years ago within a year they doubled the cost, I guess they make up the quotes.

l0key
    Free Member

As long as they stay small your fine with them, once over 100,000 ofcoms requirements kick in and overheads eat away ot the okay profit they are currently making, it’s what’s done for a few of the other small ones that got too big and then had to have and atain defined slas for Cs and complaints etc.

Why is no one happy to make 7% these days without reaching for 10+% and collapsing.

Rob_S
    Free Member

As I said, I’ve had no issues with Bulb, prices have gone up but I’ve just been informed gas price is going down from 21st March as wholesale prices have gone down.

timba
    Free Member

No problems with either Flow or Octopus. Currently with Octopus who were cheaper than Flow at the time, and are the MSE cheap deal. I have a £50 code for Octopus too, £50 for you and me if you’re interested (I think that’s how it works)

Kryton57

I’ve been with Bulb for about a year now with no issues.

I’ve recently had an issue – they dropped my energy prices goddamit!

Seriously, no issues easy to deal with and they do actually drop their prices when supply prices drop.

Drac

Seriously, no issues easy to deal with and they do actually drop their prices when supply prices drop.

Yes I received an email recently saying just that.

burt
    Free Member

Bulb here too. No problems so far and the only energy company that has reduced my payments in, I reckon, 20 odd years maybe ever. I’m happy 😁

keithb

Definitely small fish.  All they have to do is take the meter readings you provide, put them up against the rate you’ve agreed to pay and bill you for it . They’re not really energy suppliers,. Just billing intermediories.  I like Avro as they only do flat rate tarrifs, and convincing suppliers that’s what you want when you have an economy 7 meter can be challenging.  I say that after having to drag npower through a full complaint process, that included getting compensation from the ombudsman themselves due to their poor handling of it…

With small fish it feels like you are talking to s person rather than a corporate representative too, which helps things get sorted in my experience.

dannybgoode

I use First Utility – have done for years. They always email me to say when my deal is running out, what the price will be on their variable rate and what deals they have.

Shopped around at deal renewal time and never found anyone who can beat them on price and I’ve only ever had to phone customer service once and that was to move house. Even that was relatively painless – the hardest bit was trying to get a lady in India to understand what an Aga was…

sarawak
    Free Member

We are going through this at present.
    Today we got a letter from Energy helpline, who are part of Ofgem, and every year they write to us having done the comparison work for us.
    We are with Eon at present, but it is reckoned we can save over £30 per month by switching.
    The “best” offer from a Big Six comapny is EDF, but a smart meter is mandatory. Too many reasons not to have a smart meter, and few reasons to have one – namely it won’t save any money, just make it easier for the companies to vary the tariff as and when it suits them!
    Going to Green Network is next best and will save us £348 per year. Staying with Eon will see a price rise of £469 per year. Something has to be done.

Try them on http://www.switching.energyhelpline.com 0800 083 3013

Other companies suggested include Lumo, Avro, Toto????

Seems like the big boys give a cheap deal this year and ramp it up in 12 months time. We switch regularly.

sadexpunk

we’ve been with bulb for over a year now, seems relatively pain free, i spose its all much of a muchness if youre on a fix. decent customer service and easy to understand statements which is always a consideration.

pretty sure we’re not allowed to put up referral links, but its £50 for both of us if you want to email me for a link. (my username at gmail dot com)

scotroutes

Going to Green Network is next best and will save us £348 per year

We’re with GNE. No complaints.

sarawak
    Free Member

We’re with GNE. No complaints.

Excellent. Thank you very much. They are deffo the favourites.
    We are tempted to just hang fire and see if Eon ring us to try and give us the hard sell. We’ve had their anodyne letter. We just wonder how much they will bend if we haggle???
    (But we ain’t having a smart meter!!!)

notsospeedydaz
    Free Member

I’m with bulb for last 6 months been fine, pm me if you want a referral code 50 quid for both of us

sarawak
    Free Member

Just had look at bulb but their quote is almost the same ad what Eon want to charge us.
    (But wifey is doing it on her mobile so it may be the operator!!!)

Think it needs a sit down in front of the PC but Eon definitely seem top end pricewise.

TomB

Pure planet here, might be a recommendation code to get us both a bonus IIRC. Happy so far…..

singletrackmind

+1 Octopus
    Very efficient at switch over and no tarif tie in . So whilst I may 1p more per KwH if it moves more than that I can pull the plug and look elsewhere penalty free.
    I apologise for the Dad joke

zbonty

I looked on MSE a couple of years ago and got a great deal with OVO.
    No issues at all, easy swap, nice web interface and they pay interest on my account as it’s in credit.

deadkenny
    Free Member

I’m a bit cynical about many of the small start ups. It’s all a bit hipster bollocks riding on stuff like “green” and “renewable” when they don’t actually supply the electricity and except in a few cases your supply still comes from that nuke or fossil fuel power station down the road. I also wonder who some of their investors or parent companies are (or will be when they’re bought out).

As said, they’re billing companies, that is all. However, looking past the marketing fluff, I’m interested in switching to anything cheaper and one that isn’t going to bug me all the time about my meter needing replacing with a smart one. More importantly, one that isn’t taking money up front for energy I don’t use and then refund it after they’ve made profits from investing it.

andybrad

Im with bulb, if you want a referral link (free money) let me know

its basically like going back in time after having a smart meter but its ok

sarawak
    Free Member

@scotroutes
    Looks like we will be going to GNE as well. Seem soundly based and good reviews.
    If you have a code that we can use to get you some sheckles back just PM me and I’ll stick it in where appropriate.

franksinatra

Bulb here too. No problems so far and the only energy company that has reduced my payments in, I reckon, 20 odd years maybe ever. I’m happy 😁

Same story here.

However, isn’t this all a bit last year? Changes in regulations now mean that companies can switch for you. Look after My Bills seem to be popular, certainly good enough for Dragons Den to spaff £120k for 3% of the company (biggest DD deal ever). You sign up and they just automatically switch you to the best deals.

scotroutes

Looks like we will be going to GNE as well. Seem soundly based and good reviews.
    If you have a code that we can use to get you some sheckles back just PM me and I’ll stick it in where appropriate.

Cool. It hadn’t even occurred to me that there was such a thing, but I managed to find it on their website.

https://join.greennetworkenergy.co.uk/?referee=GBNTEy2q0j080C8y1e3G2M4v

£30 each.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I really don’t see what the customer experience bit has to do with it personally. I go for cheapest, which at the time was Scottish power, I use their app/website and never have to deal with real peeps. Did use the mse link tho as provided above because it also gave cashback.

cynic-al
    Free Member

1. Do a proper comparison on the citz advice website (one of a few that shows the whole market).

2. Read up on customer service (I can email a copy of the which table).

3. What’s happening with your meter?

My experience is newer smaller companies tend to be better service wise than big 6

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

I was with Extra Energy until November last year when they went bust, along with my £240 of account credit which 5months later is still in the hands of the administrators…

sarawak
    Free Member

@scotroutes

Cool. It hadn’t even occurred to me that there was such a thing, but I managed to find it on their website.

https://join.greennetworkenergy.co.uk/?referee=GBNTEy2q0j080C8y1e3G2M4v

£30 each.

Loks like a no go I’m afraid.
    Followed your link and the quote was nearly double what I got yesterday via the OFgem link. Looks like your link takes me to a stand alone quote system, whereas my quote is specifically for Comparison sites.
    Your link quotes an annual bill of £3500 whereas mine quotes £1375.
    I’d rather just give you £30 than sign up to pay that much!!!
    Sorry.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Utility Point here who will be on the MSE cheap energy club comparison thingy. Very good and a breath of fresh air compared to the shower I was previously with. Message me if you want referral code for cash

bigblackshed

Octopus.

Can do a referral code for anyone interested.

scotroutes

Loks like a no go I’m afraid.
    Followed your link and the quote was nearly double what I got yesterday via the OFgem link. Looks like your link takes me to a stand alone quote system, whereas my quote is specifically for Comparison sites.
    Your link quotes an annual bill of £3500 whereas mine quotes £1375.
    I’d rather just give you £30 than sign up to pay that much!!!
    Sorry.

Wow! Surely some mishtake!! One for folks to look out for though

unovolo
    Free Member

Not been with one of the big 6 in years , Have used Abico, Ovo, Octopus and now Tonik all with no issues.

Contract is now up for renewal and looked at Bulb due to good reviews/price drop but my current supplier are offering a £50 loyalty bonus/discount to renew with them which makes them cheaper than Bulb overall.

Also they can now use my 1st generation Smart Meter for readings so thats a bonus too.

The statements from Tonik are also simpler more idiot proof to read through as well.

They also do a £25 referal if anyone fancies trying them.

toby1

Been with Avro since the start of the year after looking on MSE Energy club, pretty much went with the cheapest with the best customer feedback. Suggested savings were about £200 a year compared with previous big 6 supplier who were about to bump the price too.

highpeakrider
    Free Member

I’m with OVO no issues they quickly installed smart meters and the pay interest when you are in credit, can see usage via app and web.

jimster01

I’ve got Utility Warehouse popping round for a chat on Friday.

Avoid Enstroga absolute pile of 💩

mikejd

Avoid Together Energy like the plague.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Changing energy supplier – Big six or small fish?’ is closed to new replies.