Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • changing DVD burners in desktop PC – simples?
  • theflatboy
    Free Member

got to swap out one decrepit burner for a new one. i know that it fits and i know that it should be SATA and is. on that basis, is it as easy as simply removing the old one, installing the new one and turning the PC on and going through any driver installation, etc. or do i need to “tell” the PC somehow that the old one’s coming out?

cheers!

edit – sorry, wrong forum… i always do this!

xherbivorex
    Free Member

yes, it’s as simple as that.

z1ppy

should be fine, with Xp or vista, no ‘user’ driver installation will be required, as the O/S will have them and do it automatically.

No need to tell the PC anything.

joemarshall
    Free Member

Just turn it off (at the wall socket too, not just on the computer), unscrew + unplug plugs from old drive, plug em in the same place on the new one, turn it back on again. Nothing more to it, as long as they are both the same kind of drive (probably will be).

If it has different plugs/sockets on the back of the drive, it might be more complicated, but it probably won’t.

Joe

theflatboy
    Free Member

nice one, ta!

theflatboy
    Free Member

well, it truly was as easy as that. had to go a bit MacGyver on the inside of the case to get the old one out, but once that was done the new one went in and off we went. was a bit worried that it didn’t give me a message of congratulations when i turned it back on, but the drive was there and has worked a treat since. 🙂

johnners
    Free Member

a message of congratulations

You need to have the “Vista Home Premium Suck-Up” OS for that.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘changing DVD burners in desktop PC – simples?’ is closed to new replies.